33a. Shanghaied

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This is probably my favorite special. There are tons of funny moments in this episode and all the characters are utilized extremely well. The patchy segments are weird, but I somewhat like them. The multiple endings thing is pretty cool. Even though Patrick and Squidward's endings are pretty lame. It's not perfect, but it's still hilarious and has a great plot.

Great episode (9/10)

1. Shanghaied (9)

2. Dying For Pie (9)
3. Something Smells (9)
4. Patty Hype (9)
5. Big Pink Loser (9)
6. Squidville (9)
7. Survival of the Idiots (8)
8. Christmas Who? (8)
9. Squid's Day Off (8)
10. Wormy (8)
11. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy III (8)
12. Imitation Krabs (8)
13. Life of Crime (8)
14. Prehibernation Week (7)
15. Pressure (7)
16. I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (7)
17. No Free Rides (7)
18. The Smoking Peanut (7)
19. Bossy Boots (6)
20. Your Shoe's Untied (6)
21. Dumped (6)
22. Squirrel Jokes (5)
23. Bubble Buddy (5)
24. Grandma's Kisses (5)

SuperSponge1234

Dead Inspector
This is one of my fav episodes this is in my the top 20 list of the best episode i rate a 9.5/10 its an amazing episode

Last edited:

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
9.5/10

Not my absolute favorite of the entire show, but I like the episode. The patchy segments weren't bad, I love the perfume department gag, and the like the chosen ending. Overall, pretty nice special.

Big Pink Loser: (10/10)
Something Smells: (10/10)
Squidville: (10/10)
Imitation Krabs: (10/10)
Patty Hype: (10/10)
Christmas Who?: (9.5/10)
Shanghaied: (9.5/10)
Squids Day Off: (9.5/10)
Dying for Pie: (9/10)
MM&BB III: (9/10)
No Free Rides: (9/10)
Wormy: (9/10)
Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)
Survival of the Idiots: (8.5/10)
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic: (8.5/10)
Bossy Boots: (8.5/10)
The Smoking Peanut: (8.5/10)
Pre-Hibernation Week: (6.5/10)
Grandma's Kisses: (6.5/10)
Life of Crime: (5.5/10)
Bubble Buddy: (4/10)
Squirrel Jokes: (3.5/10)
Dumped: (1.5/10)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I really like this episode, because all of the characters actually have purposes in it, unlike the majority of other specials. There are some great jokes in it, and I thought the perfume department in particular stood out as being beyond funny.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
One of the best episodes of SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS MY FRIENDS! Though i wouldnt consider it a classic. The jokes here were nice. The ending was pretty fun too!

Rating: Perfect Episode

Rankings:
Dying For Pie (Golden)
Survival of the Idiots (Golden)
Shanghaied (Perfect)
Pressure (Perfect)
Big Pink Loser (Perfect)
No Free Rides (Amazing!)
MMABBIII (Delightful)
Christmas Who? (Sublime)
Imitation Krabs (Superb)
The Smoking Peanut (Awesome)
Squidville (Tolerant)
Squid's Day Off (Tolerant)
Life of Crime (Great)
Dumped (Great)
Something Smells (Polite)
Bubble Buddy (Polite)
Bossy Boots (Polite)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)
PreHibernation Week (Bad)
Patty Hype (Sucky)
Wormy (Pathetic)
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (Stupid)
Grandma's Kisses (Garbage)
Squirrel Jokes (Trash)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
"Shanghaied" is definitely one of my favorite SpongeBob SquarePants specials. Though, can it be called a special? It has Patchy in it so I'm calling it that. It is simply a hilarious episode with a fun story. It's also the basis for one of the most iconic SpongeBob YTPs of all time, so it deserves like 10 points for that alone.

I'll start off by talking about the Patchy segments in this episode, which are great as always. They're very...explosive this time around. I really liked how this episode originally had 3 different endings, and voters chose the ending we see today, that was just a really cool idea that I would love to see again. I remember a couple years back when "Squid Noir" premiered, there was this whole event where people could color I think it was each frame of a scene in that episode or something like that. I love when the show is interactive.

Turning things over to the main portion of the episode, I like the episode's beginning set up with things kicking straight into gear once the anchor crashes into SpongeBob's house. We get a cool set piece, the Flying Dutchman's Ship, which sets up a lotttt of great jokes back to back. Seriously, I think from the moment the Flying Dutchman first appears (or really once the trio gets on the ship) to maybe the end of the Perfume Department scene, it's just nonstop hilarity that never gets old!

Even though he disappears for half of the episode, Squidward is absolutely excellent here. I love the back and forth he has with the Flying Dutchman ending with him getting burned umpteen times, as well as his fall through the Fly of Despair (which had very cool visuals as a treat). I love that as soon as he got free the poor Squid was wished back onto the boat, just a great bit of horrible timing and excellent irony. SpongeBob and Patrick are similarly fantastic, both in the aforementioned scenes and even more once they become part of the Flying Dutchman's crew.

We have one of my favorite scenes, the "You're good" one, as well as the ever-iconic "Leedle leedle lee" (which can we talk about the sound SpongeBob made in that scene? What even was that lmao). SpongeBob and Patrick joining the Flying Dutchman on his nightly haunts was also fun as well, and filled with an assortment of great jokes of how they mess it up. I think my favorite of those has to be the part where they run into the metal wall. The voice acting there, along with the painting, really sells it. A bit later in the episode, we have the excellent Perfume Department scene which is just so, so funny. I like watching this episode with Audio Commentary, so apparently the people in the background were just a bunch of Nick workers at the mall, which I think is a cool detail. It makes sense that they wouldn't just record random people. But seriously, the Perfume Department scene has to be one of my favorites of the episode, because it's just dramatic and long enough to be hilarious for an extended period of time without becoming dull.

I also find the ending of the episode to be great, if perhaps the weakest part because it isn't drop-dead hilarious. But who cares? The episode has been killing us with laughs all the way through, the ending doesn't need to be the best thing ever either. Speaking of the ending, I think the funniest one out of the three possible is probably Squidward's ending, but I enjoy the one we have as well.

Clearly, I really like this episode, and it belongs right up in my "Amazing" tier. I have absolutely no problems with it, and it's a fun ride even though it's a bit longer than usual. This episode is shorter than other specials though, so I can't judge those too much compared to this one. We'll just have to wait until we get to a special I find amazing so I can criticize other specials based off of that one, I suppose.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.3/10

Back