31a. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III

A very funny episode. It introduced Man-Ray, who is probably my second-favorite villain in the show. It's also got a great story, and a big step up from the previous two.

Ranking so far:
1. Patty Hype (A+)
2. Survival of the Idiots (A+)
3. Big Pink Loser (A+)
4. Life of Crime (A)
5. Dying For Pie (A)
6. Christmas Who? (A)
7. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III (A)
8. Squidville (A)
9. Squid's Day Off (A)
10. Imitation Krabs (B)
11. No Free Rides (B)
12. Your Shoe's Untied (B)
13. I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (B)
14. Prehibernation Week (B)
15. Something Smells (B)
16. Wormy (C)
17. Bossy Boots (C)
18. Bubble Buddy (C)
19. Dumped (E)
20. Grandma's Kisses (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I like it. Probably one of the better MM&BB episodes for me. There was some funny moments, and Man Ray is a great character that's a joy to listen to. It's always great seeing him return. Some scenes felt a little repetitive, but this episode is still really good.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Dying For Pie (9)
2. Something Smells (9)
3. Patty Hype (9)
4. Big Pink Loser (9)
5. Squidville (9)
6. Survival of the Idiots (8)
7. Christmas Who? (8)
8. Squid's Day Off (8)
9. Wormy (8)
10. Mermaidman and Barnacleboy III (8)
11. Imitation Krabs (8)
12. Life of Crime (8)
13. Prehibernation Week (7)
14. I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (7)
15. No Free Rides (7)
16. Bossy Boots (6)
17. Your Shoe's Untied (6)
18. Dumped (5)
19. Bubble Buddy (5)
20. Grandma's Kisses (5)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
9/10

I like this episode for 2 reasons. 1: The Tickle Belt. 2: DA MEMES.

Big Pink Loser: (10/10)
Something Smells: (10/10)
Squidville: (10/10)
Imitation Krabs: (10/10)
Patty Hype: (10/10)
Christmas Who?: (9.5/10)
Squids Day Off: (9.5/10)
Dying for Pie: (9/10)
MM&BB III: (9/10)
No Free Rides: (9/10)
Wormy: (9/10)
Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)
Survival of the Idiots: (8.5/10)
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic: (8.5/10)
Bossy Boots: (8.5/10)
Pre-Hibernation Week: (6.5/10)
Grandma's Kisses: (6.5/10)
Life of Crime: (5.5/10)
Bubble Buddy: (4/10)
Dumped: (1.5/10)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I think this episode pulls off making Patrick stupid PERFECTLY. Man-Ray is able to explain why the wallet he picked up was Patrick's, and when Patrick says it's not his, his reactions are very humorous, and they are the selling points of the "Patrick-Is-Stupid" jokes. There's a bunch of other jokes too, such as the Orb of Confusion.

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This has to be one of the funniest episodes yet! The Orb of Confusion is a blessed object and the tickle belt gag was very funny...

Rating: Delightful Episode

Rankings:
Dying For Pie (Golden)
Survival of the Idiots (Golden)
Big Pink Loser (Perfect)
No Free Rides (Amazing!)
MMABBIII (Delightful)
Christmas Who? (Sublime)
Imitation Krabs (Superb)
Squidville (Tolerant)
Squid's Day Off (Tolerant)
Life of Crime (Great)
Dumped (Great)
Something Smells (Polite)
Bubble Buddy (Polite)
Bossy Boots (Polite)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)
PreHibernation Week (Bad)
Patty Hype (Sucky)
Wormy (Pathetic)
I'm Your Biggest Fanatic (Stupid)
Grandma's Kisses (Garbage)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I swear these Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy episodes always get me confused as to which episode I'm actually watching haha. Also, did SpongeBob SquarePants predict endless superhero movie sequels? Okay let me get to the actual review.

"Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III" is a good episode, but it starts...slowly. Truthfully, I'm nearly bored until SpongeBob and Patrick start freaking out over Man Ray. It helps that when they spot Man Ray it starts up a pretty funny gag, but for that first minute or two I'm ready to click off.

But of course, when Man Ray gets introduced things get much better. Once the episode picks up, it's absolutely hilarious. Man Ray is amazing in this episode, being the perfect straightman to SpongeBob and Patrick, occupying a similar yet completely different role to Plankton, who's very dramatic and crazy in his own way. But back to Man Ray, this man is truly the star of this episode. Every scene of his "rehabilitation" is a gold mine, the star of course being the wallet scene. Just peak humor for real. The tickle belt is also delightfully absurd while also being a horrific invention...like seriously I think I'd rather die than be forced to essentially laugh indefinitely.

I like the visual touches in this episode, such as the design of the Mermalair, or that moment when Patrick drops the box on Man Ray's foot and his little ear things droop, just adds a lot of personality to this episode and the designs.

I like how Man Ray and Patrick end up having beef by the halfway point of the episode. Man Ray snapping and beating up Patrick is honestly deserved, and Patrick's vindictive revenge is hilarious to watch (see, Patrick can be a jerkwad without it being the worst thing ever! Some episodes need a crash course in this).

The last act of the episode is probably the weakest, but I find myself enjoying it all the same. The only thing I don't like is the orb of confusion. The effects are cool but watching SpongeBob and Patrick become essentially confused vegetables isn't all that entertaining to me haha, but it doesn't last very long. It's a cool device though, I wonder how it works. I like that Man Ray does actually end up rehabilitated to some degree, more out of fear of retribution rather than actual change, at least that's how I took it.

This episode sits right in my "Great" tier because when it's good, it's excellent, and when it's not good, it's slow and almost boring. So to balance that out, it loses some points with me that would put it up a tier higher.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.3/10

Back