2D vs. 3D animation, which is superior?

Which is better? 2D or 3D (CGI) animation?

• Total voters

spongedude

Wumbologist
Staff
It all depends on the story. You can get breathtaking 3-D environments in films like Brave or Up, but if I were pressed, I'd opt for 2-D, hand-drawn animation. The Iron Giant and 2011's Winnie the Pooh are examples of beautiful art meshed with a well-done story that will trump many of the more shoddy 3-D offerings also available. And of course, who can forget Walt Disney's masterpiece (in my opinion), Bambi. Quite possibly the best combination of beautiful character animation and exquisite background paintings of any film I know.

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/28/395328714/the-chinese-paper-son-who-inspired-the-look-of-disneys-bambi

bambi.jpg

KarateSponge

Parawhore
PinkPearl said:
It depends on the quality of the animation. I always enjoy 2D animation, but 3D can be good too...as long as it looks decent, which sometimes it doesn't.
*cough*every single bootleg movie in existence that uses CGI*cough*

a_load_of_barnacles

Bomb-Selling Pirate
spongedude said:
It all depends on the story. You can get breathtaking 3-D environments in films like Brave or Up, but if I were pressed, I'd opt for 2-D, hand-drawn animation. The Iron Giant and 2011's Winnie the Pooh are examples of beautiful art meshed with a well-done story that will trump many of the more shoddy 3-D offerings also available. And of course, who can forget Walt Disney's masterpiece (in my opinion), Bambi. Quite possibly the best combination of beautiful character animation and exquisite background paintings of any film I know.

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/28/395328714/the-chinese-paper-son-who-inspired-the-look-of-disneys-bambi

attachicon.gif
bambi.jpg
spongedude, you always have the best explanation for things. Agreed all the way!

Bugs Bunny

That Screwy Wabbit
2D animation is simply amazing! Just drawing with your heart and soul on a pencil, performing every layer on a piece of paper, then adding coloring and adding a little digital magic is just epic!. 3D animation is great, but it's more technical than anything and doesn't feel as imaginative. Plus, there's only so much you can do with 3D, since the software makes it difficult to unleash your full imagination.

Unfortunately, we may never go back to that point of time of 2D art. Disney's Meander software that they used to create Paperman and Feast are probably going to be the only way we can return to traditional art in a sense. It's not the same, but it'll have to do.

TheWolverine

Banished
The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie (2004) had beutiful 2D animation while SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water also had fantastic 2D animation but inside the ocean and they used 3D animation on dry land during the movie

G-Bag

Imitation Krab
2D all the way, but 3D can be good if handled properly, and not like crappy CGI you see in stuff like Henry Hugglemonster (that show sucks)

Back