169a. Are You Happy Now?

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.

Premiere date: Sat, 31st march, 10:15am
Synopsis: When Squidward can't recall his happiest memory, SpongeBob "helps" him create one.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
This episode was plain depressing. The "gags" which made it look like Squidward was going to kill himself (head in oven, preparing rope) made me deeply uncomfortable and overshadowed the whole episode. "Squidward is going to gas himself, LOL just kidding he's baking brownies" isn't funny. Sorry.

:wacko:

There were some funny bits (like Spongebob running around in Gary's shell), but I still think the overall tone was way too dark.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Average episode. Things I liked:

-Squidward didn't seem to outright hate Spongebob here. Until the end, at least.

-I laughed a little at the Mount Bikini Scene (yes, even the part with Spongebob's butt). I thought we were gonna get another "Squidward's toenail scene when Spongebob planted the flag in Squidward's foot, but it wasn't too graphic.

-The beginning was pretty funny too, until right after Fiasco's scene, where Squidward gets depressed.

Things I didn't like:
-We already had an episode where Spongebob tries to make Squidward happier from his depression. Enchanted Tiki Dreams did this episode's plotline similarly, and did it better.

-I got some sick laughs out of the whole "Squidward's gonna hang himself JUST KIDDING he's raising a scallops cage" gags. The thing is, I felt incredibly bad about laughing at the jokes right after. There's dark humor (look at Nasty Patty for a great example) and then there's crossing the line into Family Guy territory where you feel like a sadist when you laugh at an episode. Spongebob isn't Family Guy. I will admit, though, the "jokes" weren't as offensive as they could have been.

-The ending. The writers are aware of past episodes; Bubble Buddy Returns makes sure that we know this. Aren't they aware that deep down, Squidward does like Spongebob? Episodes like Sponge-Cano and Love That Squid follow this episode's example, and make it out to seem like Squidward hates Spongebob with every fiber of his being, and that's simply not true. I'm getting really sick of it, actually. Remember Funny Pants? Dying For Pie? Squidward doesn't truly want Spongebob to die in a fire. It's annoying.

-The last line of the episode was random and pointless. "He's so handsome..."? WTF?

-And, the episode wasn't that funny, TBH. Fiasco was funny, and the beginning was funny, but otherwise... It just didn't know what it wanted to be. A quick funny little set-up with Spongebob trying to make Squidward happy? A "let's try and snap Squidward out of his depression episode"? It moved around constantly between these two plotlines and it built up to a crappy Out Of Character ending. Such a shame. Season 8 was going so well. Hopefully it's just a blip on the radar.

6/10.

sorry for the giant text wall. Just needed to get that off my chest.

DadMom AngryPants

Hi, I'm normal.
I agree with pretty much everything you said.
The thing is, I'm fairly sure I've laughed at similar jokes in adult sitcoms and even cartoons such as the Simpsons ... but dark humour like that is so out of place in a Spongebob episode. When I watch Spongebob, I want to feel happy and forget about the cold, grown-up world. I don't want to see Squidward preparing a noose.

It was like a fanfiction. Or a creepypasta.
._.

*Think happy thoughts*
*Think happy thoughts*
*Think happy thoughts*

Cha

I love SBM
During these episodes this morning I felt like I couldn't stand still. At least this episode wasn't as abusive as I thought it would be. Like Jibbix said, the toe nail part wasn't bad not as bad as *shivers*, the toe nail part in House Fancy. I sort of thought Squidward was going to hang himself at first, I wonder if the SB writers did that on purpose. I liked seing a hot air balloon and learning that Squidward is afraid of heights. Even though Squidward didn't have a pleasant time, at least he got to beat up paper SpongeBobs at the end. I didn't think Fiasco would be in the episode, since there is an episode called "Fiasco!!" coming up here. If I remember correctly, this art musesum is also from the episode, "Squidward's School for Grown-Ups".

This episode was random and I'll give it a

B-

SBManiac!!!!!!

welp bye lol
Am I the only person on this topic who actually liked this episode? I thought it was pretty funny and that the visual gags were well done. (Then again, this is coming from a guy who likes to listen to They Might Be Giants, who gleefully sing about death and depression in many of their songs.)
However, I will admit that Squidward shouldn't hate SpongeBob ALL the freakin' time, and that I didn't like the ending either. (What the devilfish was up with SB calling Squidward "handsome" and why did I felt like the song "When Will You Die"* would've been appropriate for when Squidward was destroying the paper-maiche copies of SB?!?)

Either way, my final score: 7/10.

* It's not that I don't like the song (It's one of my favorites from TMBG, in fact), it's just that it shouldn't be used to describe SpongeBob!

Wumbologist

Banished
Am I the only person on this topic who actually liked this episode? I thought it was pretty funny and that the visual gags were well done. (Then again, this is coming from a guy who likes to listen to They Might Be Giants, who gleefully sing about death and depression in many of their songs.)
However, I will admit that Squidward shouldn't hate SpongeBob ALL the freakin' time, and that I didn't like the ending either. (What the devilfish was up with SB calling Squidward "handsome" and why did I felt like the song "When Will You Die"* would've been appropriate for when Squidward was destroying the paper-maiche copies of SB?!?)

Either way, my final score: 7/10.

* It's not that I don't like the song (It's one of my favorites from TMBG, in fact), it's just that it shouldn't be used to describe SpongeBob!

Make that two. I thought this episode was decent.

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
Oh lord.
From what I've heard, the writers have been reading too much creepypasta.
To be fair, it wasn't too creepy; just a little unsettling. It was the OOC Squidward and the general un-funniness of the second half of the episode that made it average. However, I will say that the suicide gags are the most intelligent gags the writers have done in years. Smart jokey jokes instead of "yo Patrick's butt snapped in half lol".

Ugly Barnacle

I'm not really ugly, I just stink
This episode wasn't terrible, but wasn't great either. It was a little depressing, and I felt like they had used this plot before (maybe Enchanted Tiki Dreams is what I'm thinking of?) I agree with everyone else that the ending was really stupid, I mean "he's so handsome"? :confused: what does that even have to do with the plot at all? lol and call me a sadist, I thought the fake suicidal innuendo was kind of funny :weehammer: Planet of the Jellyfish was definitley the better out of this episode pair. I'll give "Are You Happy Now?" a 4/10.

SBRoxMan

SpongeBobRocksMan
I enjoyed it, but the humour is so different from other episodes. I thought some jokes were funny, but jokes about Squidward hanging himself of gassing himself shouldn't be in a kid's show really.

JCM

#cancelspongebob
Sorry for double-posting and for being off-topic, but what in the world is creepypasta?

You'd be better off not knowing.

Also, "he's so handsome"? Rainbow alert!

The writers did nothing to hide Plankton's suicide attempt in One Course Meal, so I personally think the innuendos in this episode are tame compared to that.

SpongeRoadie UK

Vomit Boy
The episode seems like it just came out of Stewie Griffin's Fanfiction. I agree with DadMom, it's a dark episode. Squidward just seems like a depressed drug user, just got sentenced : leukemia.

final score : 5.5/10

Powerstars

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I thought it was okay, but seeing Squidward depressed was just iffy. The suicide jokes reminded me of the first 3 seasons where they had quite a few adult jokes, but cranked up to 11. I also don't like the ending. Squidward DOES like SpongeBob, and "He's so handsome?" What? Anyways, they could've done worse. And yeah, I was expecting a Squidward's toenail. That should become a meme.

Overall, here is my episode rating:

Premise: 6.5/10 (Unoriginal, but hey)
Execution: 5/10

Web Surfer

Banished
Are You Happy Now? - 9.2

To be honest, I don't see what everyone finds so terrible about this episode. Sure, it is depressing, but also fairly interesting.

As for my opinion, I actually liked the episode. It had some pretty good gags throughout, and believe it or not, I found the ending to be hilarious. Sure, it's basically an OOC madness, but I just can't help laughing hysterically when a character goes insane so suddenly.

There were problems with the episode, yes, but those miniscule problems aren't gonna completely affect my score.

This episode is seriously depressing. I felt bad for Squiddy the whole time, and he was a bit selfish at the end. And whoever decided to make the hanging reference, that's adult humor done WRONG. Seriously, that isn't funny.

Planktonamorific

Hey man, that's not cool.
The ending was just...NO.
"He's so handsome." -SB
Whaaaaaat why? If that line isn't gay then I don't know what it is.

I'm sorry, but I really can't stand this episode. After the hot air balloon crash, we got about 6 minutes of Squidward moaning "I'll never be happy." It's one of those moments where I really do wish that this show had more continuity. If only he could remember "Band Geeks" after he raised the scallops, at least. Sure there were some funny moments, like SpongeBob in the shredder and fax machine, but too dark for a SpongeBob episode, overall. ._.

4.8/10 :no:

Back