284b. SpongeBob on Parade

SpongeVol93

Floating Shopping List
Not as good as I was hoping but it was ok. Would have rather them not referenced The Nittwitting of all episodes, I really hate that episode. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy got a rare cameo which was nice. Could have also done without making this another "Plankton trying to steal the formula" episode. I'm also not a fan of the Ice Cream King, I have a hard time understanding what he's saying. I didn't mind it but it could've been much better. 6.5/10

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
This episode had a lot of missed potential. The concept of a parade is a good one, and I think they could've done a good job making an episode about different parade floats and things like that, but instead most of the episode is just filler. There wasn't much of a story in the first half, and a lot of the scenes could've been cut without any of the story being lost. Plankton was just shoehorned into the whole thing too. SpongeBob writing down the formula on the float was pretty stupid, and the Plankton stuff would've worked a lot more if it was established early on instead of just being something they threw in almost halfway into the episode. There were a few funny jokes towards the end, I particularly liked the match and gasoline floats, but this episode wasn't all that funny for the most part. It's not that bad of an episode, but it's pretty far from good. I'd give it a two, but the humor is just enough to save it, kinda.

2.5/10, there's some funny moments but there was no story to speak of and a lot of the episode was just pure filler, making the whole episode feel empty and bland.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Now why am I thinking of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade? Which, coincidentally, is coming up in less than a week. Who’s ready to see the SpongeBob balloon? The SpongeBob balloon and the Goku balloon (if they have him), those are the only ones I ever care about. The thumbnail for this episode on the totally legal method I’m using to watch it has Flats the Flounder on it. Very interesting…will this just be a cameo or will he have a more substantial appearance? I’m thinking the former, but I wouldn’t mind the latter. I mean we did just have Kevin have a real appearance a few episodes ago, so anything’s possible.

This plot is not one that I’d expect from SpongeBob SquarePants. Let me explain. I feel like the vast majority of the plots in this show arise from just a few sources, and they typically arise from the places we’ve become familiar with—Krusty Krab, Conch Street, Boating School, Sandy’s Treedome, etc. We don’t normally get a plot started with something taking place in Bikini Bottom, you know what I mean? For as much as this show has a vast world, it’s actually pretty self-isolated. So that’s why I’m already very intrigued by this plot. I also feel like it lends itself to sitcom vibes.

As soon as Mr. Krabs hears the word “free” in “free advertisement”, he’s on board with the parade idea. So poor Squidward gets roped into it LMAO. But Mr. Krabs already know what makes the Squid tick, which is stroking his ego. I like how at this point Mr. Krabs and Squidward know each other so well that Squidward immediately knows to ask about the budget. And then we get an “Idiot Box” reference that I’m also choosing to believe references “Suction Cup Symphony”, even though I know that isn’t the case. But hey, are we about to see Squidward and SpongeBob struggle like they did in “Abandon Twits”? Because I’ll be signing right up if that’s the case, that was the best part of that episode.

I suppose that’s not what we get. Instead, we get a cut to the daytime after SpongeBob finds some questionable materials to build the parade with. I wonder if this means most of the episode will be spent at the parade. I’m fine with that too, because if it was mostly spent on building the float, then I’d say the title of this episode might be false advertisement lol. Anyway, SpongeBob explains the details of the float to Squidward, including that he wrote the real secret formula in the secret formula bottle…why would he do that again? And of course, Plankton is listening. Sigh. I kind of didn’t want this to be one of those episodes, especially because we just had “The Flower Plot”. I fear that these plots might be getting done too much this season. But maybe not. I just didn’t want this episode to be one of them, so I’m a lil salty.

Now why is the Ice Cream King here???? I’m still shocked that out of all the one-off characters we see, he’s the one that’s been made into a somewhat recurring character. He acts just like Patrick (because this is how Patrick is written at this point), so he feels very unneeded. Just replace him with Patrick at this point. Anyway, we start the parade with the Bikini Bottom High School Marching Band. Well, this is for sure a reference to “Band Geeks”. And I’m surprised Pearl is part of the marching band. Nice to see her doing “geeky” things. Oh lord…why are the Nitwits here. I do like that there’s continuity between episodes here…unfortunately the continuity just had to be with the one episode from the previous season I truly did not like.

Anyway, it’s nice to see some familiar characters and locations having their own floats. They’ve all got some character. After a few of these, we finally get to what we’ve been building up to—Plankton suddenly joining the parade in his own float so that he can try and steal the formula. Well, this is definitely a bit different than what I expected, and seeing some floats fight each other is pretty entertaining, so perhaps I won’t be too harsh on the episode for doing a Plankton Plot. Plankton actually manages to win for once…until a gas station float makes everything explode. You know, I like that it wasn’t even the Krusty Krew that ended up saving the day here.

“SpongeBob on Parade” was a pretty good episode. I enjoyed it most of the way through, but I am going to take points off for yet another use of the Plankton Plot that I truly feel was unnecessary. The plot could’ve been literally anything else.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.4/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Now why am I thinking of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade? Which, coincidentally, is coming up in less than a week. Who’s ready to see the SpongeBob balloon? The SpongeBob balloon and the Goku balloon (if they have him), those are the only ones I ever care about. The thumbnail for this episode on the totally legal method I’m using to watch it has Flats the Flounder on it. Very interesting…will this just be a cameo or will he have a more substantial appearance? I’m thinking the former, but I wouldn’t mind the latter. I mean we did just have Kevin have a real appearance a few episodes ago, so anything’s possible.

This plot is not one that I’d expect from SpongeBob SquarePants. Let me explain. I feel like the vast majority of the plots in this show arise from just a few sources, and they typically arise from the places we’ve become familiar with—Krusty Krab, Conch Street, Boating School, Sandy’s Treedome, etc. We don’t normally get a plot started with something taking place in Bikini Bottom, you know what I mean? For as much as this show has a vast world, it’s actually pretty self-isolated. So that’s why I’m already very intrigued by this plot. I also feel like it lends itself to sitcom vibes.

As soon as Mr. Krabs hears the word “free” in “free advertisement”, he’s on board with the parade idea. So poor Squidward gets roped into it LMAO. But Mr. Krabs already know what makes the Squid tick, which is stroking his ego. I like how at this point Mr. Krabs and Squidward know each other so well that Squidward immediately knows to ask about the budget. And then we get an “Idiot Box” reference that I’m also choosing to believe references “Suction Cup Symphony”, even though I know that isn’t the case. But hey, are we about to see Squidward and SpongeBob struggle like they did in “Abandon Twits”? Because I’ll be signing right up if that’s the case, that was the best part of that episode.

I suppose that’s not what we get. Instead, we get a cut to the daytime after SpongeBob finds some questionable materials to build the parade with. I wonder if this means most of the episode will be spent at the parade. I’m fine with that too, because if it was mostly spent on building the float, then I’d say the title of this episode might be false advertisement lol. Anyway, SpongeBob explains the details of the float to Squidward, including that he wrote the real secret formula in the secret formula bottle…why would he do that again? And of course, Plankton is listening. Sigh. I kind of didn’t want this to be one of those episodes, especially because we just had “The Flower Plot”. I fear that these plots might be getting done too much this season. But maybe not. I just didn’t want this episode to be one of them, so I’m a lil salty.

Now why is the Ice Cream King here???? I’m still shocked that out of all the one-off characters we see, he’s the one that’s been made into a somewhat recurring character. He acts just like Patrick (because this is how Patrick is written at this point), so he feels very unneeded. Just replace him with Patrick at this point. Anyway, we start the parade with the Bikini Bottom High School Marching Band. Well, this is for sure a reference to “Band Geeks”. And I’m surprised Pearl is part of the marching band. Nice to see her doing “geeky” things. Oh lord…why are the Nitwits here. I do like that there’s continuity between episodes here…unfortunately the continuity just had to be with the one episode from the previous season I truly did not like.

Anyway, it’s nice to see some familiar characters and locations having their own floats. They’ve all got some character. After a few of these, we finally get to what we’ve been building up to—Plankton suddenly joining the parade in his own float so that he can try and steal the formula. Well, this is definitely a bit different than what I expected, and seeing some floats fight each other is pretty entertaining, so perhaps I won’t be too harsh on the episode for doing a Plankton Plot. Plankton actually manages to win for once…until a gas station float makes everything explode. You know, I like that it wasn’t even the Krusty Krew that ended up saving the day here.

“SpongeBob on Parade” was a pretty good episode. I enjoyed it most of the way through, but I am going to take points off for yet another use of the Plankton Plot that I truly feel was unnecessary. The plot could’ve been literally anything else.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score: 8.4/10
Definitely hyped to see what you think of Delivery to Monster Island

Back