28. Christmas Who?

CannedBread

Moby Dollar
I have so many memories of this episode. i watched it every christmas when it would come on, and I even acted it out for a christmas play at my friend's house, which is really sad actuaally, because after their grandmother died, I haven't talked to them. I still remember being in their basement saying the lines of squidward, which would make me laugh everytime I said them. LOve this episode with all my heart, although I don't think it's one of the best, It holds a special place in my heart. 8.5/10

MimicMadness

Born On January 14
This was the very 1st SpongeBob special and it was great! They made it very funny and great to watch at Christmas. They introduced Patchy, which was good. I like this episode! Very good!
Yup. Good way to introduce Patchy.

MimicMadness

Born On January 14
admirable_animations__christmas_who__by_thegreatserver-daqpozz.png

Enjoy my latest deviantation.
It's okay to watch Christmas specials before Christmas.

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
A very enjoyable episode. It doesn't have the best jokes, or even the best story, (seriously, why does Sandy just disappear from the episode at some point?) but it's a cute and feel-good episode that puts you in the Christmas spirit. The song is also really catchy. I'm a sucker for Spongebob songs; seriously man. It does lose a bit of it's magic on rewatch, but it's heart can't be ignored.

Good episode (8/10)

1. Dying For Pie (9)
2. Something Smells (9)
3. Patty Hype (9)
4. Big Pink Loser (9)
5. Squidville (9)
6. Christmas Who? (8)
7. Squid's Day Off (8)
8. Imitation Krabs (8)
9. Wormy (8)
10. Life of Crime (8)
11. Prehibernation Week (7)
12. Bossy Boots (6)
13. Your Shoe's Untied (6)
14. Bubble Buddy (5)
15. Grandma's Kisses (5)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
9.5/10

Really good Christmas special. I like the jokes, such as Patrick using a pencil wrong, and the plot. I liked when Squidward tried to become Santa Claus and give out gifts. I also liked the Patchy segments. It did a good job at introducing him. I also liked the song. Overall, good special.

Big Pink Loser: (10/10)
Something Smells: (10/10)
Squidville: (10/10)
Imitation Krabs: (10/10)
Patty Hype: (10/10)
Christmas Who?: (9.5/10)
Squids Day Off: (9.5/10)
Dying for Pie: (9/10)
Wormy: (9/10)
Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)
Bossy Boots: (8.5/10)
Pre-Hibernation Week: (6.5/10)
Grandma's Kisses: (6.5/10)
Life of Crime: (5.5/10)
Bubble Buddy: (4/10)

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I really love this episode! I do like Squidward feeling bad and doing the right thing. 9/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Ehhhhhhh kinda hated Squidward here... But the animation and jokes of this episode are great and its pretty cool and heartwarming!

Final Rating: 7/10 Great

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
I like this episode for an unknown reason

Rating: Sublime

Rankings:
Dying For Pie (Golden)
Big Pink Loser (Perfect)
Christmas Who? (Sublime)
Imitation Krabs (Superb)
Squidville (Tolerant)
Squid's Day Off (Tolerant)
Life of Crime (Great)
Something Smells (Polite)
Bubble Buddy (Polite)
Bossy Boots (Polite)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)
PreHibernation Week (Bad)
Patty Hype (Sucky)
Wormy (Pathetic)
Grandma's Kisses (Garbage)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is a very good special, you can clearly see the heart that went into the structure of it, and the wonderful characterizations of the entire cast; Spongebob is a naïve soul with a big heart for all the citizens of bikini bottom, Patrick is the main stem of the high-quality jokes, Squidward basically holds the entire special together with his empathy towards the city, and even the less significant characters, such as Mr. Krabs and the Bikini Bottomites, actually got chuckles out of me. The soundtrack is very warm and will most likely put you in the christmas spirit. And the artwork in the special is golden. I especially love how the cloudy morning backgrounds in the second half of the special are drawn, the textures look really smooth, and the color pallet makes it pop out even more.
The only nit that i can really pick is that in the second half of the episode, Spongebob hears that he brought christmas to Bikini bottom, he inexplicably passes out on top of Gary, who takes him home, and then a couple scenes later he shows up again, right next to the little girl fish to ask squidward for her gift. It's a weird way to include him back into the narrative, but not terrible or anything

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Well well well, if it isn't the best time of year to hit this episode review! "Christmas Who" is my favorite SpongeBob Christmas special (I haven't seen all of them, so you can take this with a grain of salt), and for good reason. It's just a really, really good special episode. Let's talk about it.

First off, being a Christmas special, this episode is heavy on the life lesson, moral stuff. And I think it works just fine here. Not that Squidward is necessarily relatable to children in this instance, but I like to see this episode as more of a cautionary tale for any party pooper across any category, not just people who don't partake in the Christmas spirit (given how problematic that would be haha).

Before I get into all the good, I will say one thing I don't like about this episode is that Sandy just kind of disappears. Even just a throwaway line that said that she went back to Texas to celebrate with her family would've been helpful, but having her just there for the set up and then absolutely no follow up is jarring and a bit sad given that this is a special episode.

Anyway, back to the good stuff. This is our very first time seeing Patchy and Potty, and what an introduction! I really enjoy Patchy's segment of this episode, but that's not a surprise because I typically love Patchy (yes even the "Truth or Square" stuff). These two are such a great dynamic duo, and for some reason they don't feel out of place at all even though they're live action and this is obviously a cartoon. I think a lot of effort was put into making the live action segments like this as cartoony as possible, which makes them blend with the rest of the episode.

Going back to the animated portions of "Christmas Who?", first let me just say I love all the SpongeBob-ified (or I guess Haiwaiian-fied) versions of Christmas music we see in this episode, especially Jingle Bells. That's a staple on my Christmas playlist. Really, the background music of this episode went off. Kamakani B with the bells is just brilliant as well. Speaking of music, we have the iconic "The Very First Christmas", which is just a great, great song.

This episode is quite wholesome, in both small and big ways. Of course we have the obvious choices of SpongeBob's enthusiasm over spreading Christmas cheer, and the ending (more on that in a moment), but I also love that the whole town got in on Christmas too, even if it was just because they wanted stuff. It once again makes Bikini Bottom feel like a real interactive environment, not just a barely-relevant backdrop. It fleshes out the world of SpongeBob SquarePants.

I also really like the scene where SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs, Patrick, and Squidward about Christmas. Like I've said before, I love touches like this where everyone is hanging out, especially in the Krusty Krab because it helps make Mr. Krabs seem more like the gang, and develops the relationship between Patrick and Mr. Krabs some more, even if they don't really talk to each other in this scene. It's the background details, people!

Squidward is, of course, a jerkwad in this episode. But that's the whole point, and we get some nice jokes (donkey) and resolution out of it, so I'm hardly sad. The scene where Squidward opens SpongeBob's present, and realizes he's been a huge jerk, is a great emotional crux for this special, and I appreciate that there was real emotional stakes and investment in this episode, because it is a special which means more plot-driven + character-exploring storytelling can be done. It's nice, and makes this episode feel unique compared to SpongeBob SquarePants' usual fare.

I also really, really adore the part of the episode near the very ending where SpongeBob excitedly goes to tell Squidward that "Santa" came after all. The little Sponge is just so, so adorable. I also love the part of the episode that is my Christmas profile picture (which I will be changing to when I publish this review), because it's a good bit of slapstick. Squidward becoming Santa is very cathartic and wholesome, and I love that we see this miserable grump do something selfless for a change, establishing that he truly does care for SpongeBob (as we've already seen in episodes like "Pizza Delivery" and "Dying for Pie".

Clearly, I have no real problems with this episode, and it has earned its place in my "Amazing" tier. Not a top 5 of the season, but still a really great episode.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
Is this a good time to review this one?

Sure, it's not anywhere near the Christmas season, even if it looks like it today in Minnesota. We just got 10-12 inches of snow in March! Unfortunately, me and my buddy, FourTheFanatic, didn't get the day off. Kinda sucks, it's really sloppy and wet outside.

But aside from that. For the actual review of the episode. I remember loving this episode since I saw it for the first time during the Christmas season of 2015. Just when I was starting to love SpongeBob, I watched this episode for the holidays. This episode always kinda stuck with me. It's been a holiday tradition to watch this one every year around Christmas, along with "It's a SpongeBob Christmas!" "Christmas Who?" always reminds me of those times when I'd watch this episode with my sister.

To start on the episode itself. It's a super well-executed Christmas special to begin with. The plot is fitting for a SpongeBob episode. The title card was nice, and the changed up intro with the choir was nice to hear, and the title card music was also good.

For the Patchy segments. Patchy segments really added to the episode, introducing the plot, making sure we know this is a "past-tense" episode. So then we get into the actual episode.

Plot introduction was great, including Sandy really felt like a great way to introduce Christmas to Bikini Bottom. Makes me kinda wonder how she celebrated Christmas back in Texas, being a squirrel and all. So getting SpongeBob to believe in Santa, I've heard a few people say Sandy was a jerk for that. I'm against that idea. She really just wanted SpongeBob to have the true spirit of Christmas, she didn't mean any harm by it. Though...
I will say one thing I don't like about this episode is that Sandy just kind of disappears
I agree with this, she could have at least appeared again in the episode. It was great seeing her in the beginning and all, but what happened? Was she aware of this? We don't know, that's the problem. I think this might be one of my only bad-leaning comments about this episode though. I would have liked to see Sandy more.

But as the episode continues, and Squidward is a total jerkwad, like usual in a lot of the episodes I like where he redeems himself. I liked the "Very First Christmas" song, gets stuck in my head from time to time, even if it isn't around Christmas. Which can be a good and a bad thing at the same time. I liked "Santa's coming tonight, tonight", which me and my sister say very often around Christmas to quote it.
The soundtrack is very warm and will most likely put you in the christmas spirit
Soundtrack was amazing. Too bad I never get control of the Christmas music in the house, otherwise everyone in my house would be hearing "Christmas Who?" music all the time...

Now the next part. "Hey, where's Santa?". This part is when Squidward was his worst. He reminded me of himself in "Fools in April", how he literally just rubs it in to make it feel worse. And the fact SpongeBob literally made Squidward a gift because he didn't think Santa would bring him one. I'm glad Squidward is actually aware he was being a "donkey", unlike episodes like "Little Yellow Book" when he just goes back to being a huge jerk.

The next part: My Favorite Squidward Moment™. When he pretends to be Santa just to see SpongeBob happy again. Wholesome Squidward moment that he's doing it not so he can get something out of it, or get his job back, or anything, just to see SpongeBob happy again! And Squidward literally gives away his entire house, basically! All just to see SpongeBob happy. This was definitely my favorite Squidward moment, the part in "Pizza Delivery" coming close. That's one thing I miss about the older seasons, when Squidward would stand up for SpongeBob sometimes, even if he thought he was annoying. Petition to bring these moments back.

But you know who was the real jerk... the Santa. He existed the entire time! He just didn't come and drop off the presents, and Squidward had to give away his house! Call Squidward or Sandy the real jerks of the episode all you want, but I think it was that crazy Santa at the end. "Thanks for giving away all of your possessions, Squidward."

But anyway, time for a rating.

10/10-9/10 episode for sure! Even when it's not Christmas I still watch this episode sometimes. Especially when watching Season 2, my favorite season of all time.

Solid holiday special!

Back