Bossy Boots (Polite)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)
PreHibernation Week (Bad)
Patty Hype (Sucky)
Wormy (Pathetic)
Grandma's Kisses (Garbage)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
"Life of Crime" is a good, fun episode that leans a bit too far into comedy born of frustration. Let me explain:

I really like the beginning of this episode because everyone is just chilling watching this movie. It gives me that sitcom feel where everything is good and everyone is friends, you know? Anyway, we get some funny moments out of that by Mr. Krabs trying to turn stealing into borrowing, and being exposed (sounds a lot like "The Smoking Peanut", doesn't it?). This also leads into a good set up for the episode, as SpongeBob and Patrick take their newfound "wisdom" and "steal" a balloon. The fact that it's a balloon that SpongeBob and Patrick decide to "borrow" is just so cute haha, and so very them. At this point, I feel like a hardened criminal compared to them. I also like that we as the audience learn that its Free Balloon Day way before SpongeBob and Patrick do, because it's a good bit of dramatic irony that helps this episode out immensely.

This episode has a great balance of visual and word humor as well, and I really like the gag with Patrick the pair's tracks haha.

The only thing I don't like about this episode is Patrick once he and SpongeBob start that little argument, because he's just a bit too annoying and frustrating for me to enjoy it that much. I mean the "you took my only food, now I'm gonna starve" bit paired with the detailed painting is hilarious, but the whole scene is just frustrating, even if it is gratifying to see SpongeBob rub his eating of chocolate in Patrick's face. Patrick's dramatics are funny too, so I can't dislike the scene too much. If I don't think about it very much I can usually get by with just a scoff or groan.

SpongeBob and Patrick's blitz to the police station reminds me a lot of a future episode, "Sailor Mouth". This season really had these two pitted against each other didn't it? Quite interesting...
Anyway, the ending of the episode is great, with the "if you can't do the time, don't do the crime" combined with the 5 second prison sentence lmao. I like how done the officers are here. The only thing I don't like is the ending joke, or at least I feel mixed about it. If I was already frustrated by Patrick earlier in the episode, then the joke annoys me. But if I got by with just a groan, then the joke lands fine.

"Life of Crime" has earned its spot in my "Great" tier because it is indeed very funny and very entertaining, but it's bogged down by a couple of frustrating moments. Not too shabby.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.5/10

Back