276b. Patrick the Mailman

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Title card:
ezgif-2-a5b1dea465.png
TC music: Skedaddle

This episode is the second half of the show's 276th episode

In this episode, Patrick crushes the mailman, so he and SpongeBob deliver the mail around Bikini Bottom.

Discuss the episode here

Last edited:

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I really liked this episode. It's good to see Kevin appear again. 8.5/10. The facial expressions are really good

Last edited:

Combusto82

Does this look unsure to you?
Great episode! 8/10

at least, it has Bubble Bass cameo as he is avoiding from jury duty. thankfully, Kevin torn his mail away

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Goodbye Krabby Patty's #1 Fan
Staff
Probably my favorite from Season 13 so far. Kevin and Bubble Bass's two appearances are pretty funny, and the jokes feel better than what the other Season 13 episodes have!

Amazing (19/20)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
See now that’s the simple titles I like to see! And this isn’t me ragging on fun, punny titles or anything, so don’t even go there. But sometimes there’s nothing like the inherent hilarity in a simple episode title that just describes the plot in the simplest terms possible. You say “Patrick the Mailman”? Then I’m going to assume that this episode has Patrick being a mailman. See? Easy.

Kinda funny that the show is starting to now make the mailman a recurring character. I mean, we’ve always had this mailman model, but now he’s starting to get a real character. I guess it started with “Squid Plus One”, but after seeing “Sea-Man Sponge Haters Club”, I’ve now fully clued in to what this show is doing. The poor mailman is always exposed to the horrors lol. In this case, the horrors are being crushed by Patrick’s new rock, which ends up not being the color he ordered. And because the mailman is just so wrung-out, Patrick decides to let the poor dude take a rest at his house, while he takes on his duties. I like this. I’m glad that we’re back to Patrick typically being a nice dude. I don’t mind him being an a-hole, but sometimes that’s done a little too much. Actually, the real problem is that he’ll do a-hole things without fully committing to the bit, so now he’s an a-hole with no entertainment value. But anyway, he hasn’t been that in quite some time now, and I’m choosing this moment to appreciate that.

Patrick tries hard to be a mailman, but he realizes that he can’t read. I love how this joke was done, with him not being able to read SpongeBob’s name. We don’t actually see the text, and Patrick butchers the name heavily, but I’d say the majority of us can tell that he’s just failing to read SpongeBob’s name. Jokes like these usually rely on having us see the name, or having a character say the name correctly but still mistaking it for something else for whatever reason. This was a different iteration and I like that. SpongeBob adorably joins Patrick as his “postal pal”, and now I’m being reminded of “Insecurity Guards”. This should be fun.

First stop for the duo is Squidward’s house. I like the shot of Squidward’s face here…I feel like that was someone’s pfp for a while, it looks familiar. Squidward’s happy because he bought a turo clarinet, which knocks SpongeBob and Patrick into the sky, literally. And hold on…I know that track…wow it’s been a long time since I heard that one. And wait a dang second, I know that face…not SpongeBob and Patrick delivering to Kevin?! Wait a minute, is that why Witty Fellow was used in this scene????? I’m connecting all the pieces together…

Anyway, this entire scene of SpongeBob and Patrick trying to deliver to Kevin is entertaining. Lots of fun gags and slapstick. I love how we got the sad jingle bells track in this scene too. Man, so many good ones returning to me. And I like the visuals of Kevin’s house that we see, both the inside and outside. Very fun, lots of references here of course. And y’all know I love my easter eggs. The fight between Patrick and Kevin is very amusing as well. I love a good fight, with lots of puns. Kevin’s attempts of avoiding jury duty continue to be funny. And it turns out that the jury summons wasn’t even for Kevin, but for Bubble Bass, who hides a lot more effectively than he does.

Next up, SpongeBob and Patrick deliver to Old Man Walker…but there wasn’t any mail for him, which saddens SpongeBob to the core. Wait, why am I feeling something a little bit too??? Something about the music, which is another favorite of mine: Hawaiian Beach. So they then commit mail fraud LMAO. That was a good joke for the older ones of us.

SpongeBob and Patrick then proceed to steal a mail truck, which catches the attention of the mail police. I love a good chase scene. And there’s a bunch of great gags in this scene as well, like the one with Fred (man Fred, what happened to the nurse?? You ain’t s***) or the little girl. Man, so many dark or “adult” jokes in this episode. I really love this entire scene with SpongeBob fighting the mail people, it’s very well-animated and just fun. And I love how it ends up with SpongeBob and Patrick being mailed to jail. At least they’re having fun.

“Patrick the Mailman” was exactly the kind of episode I like to see. Fun all the way through, self-referential (something I like to see in this era of the show), hilarious on many different levels, and visually appealing. I’ve got nothing bad to say about this episode whatsoever. It’s been a while since I’ve loved a SpongeBob and Patrick episode like this, specifically finding their dynamic to be a highlight. That shows me that this show’s still got it when it comes to the two best friends. Good.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.4/10

Back