274a. The Big Bad Bubble Bass

MattTheSpongeFanatic

Goodbye Krabby Patty's #1 Fan
Staff
A lot of good references to previous seasons in the episode.

Miss Appear and The Moth (The Dirty Bubble also appears too):

1652313659694.png
Toy Barrel from Toy Store of Doom:

1652313607725.png

Volcano Sauce from Karate Choppers:

1652313749488.png

Roland D. Plankton

Floating Shopping List
Pretty good episode with decent story progression which was rare for Season 13 at the time. (It's not rare now)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Hmmm…the title card of this episode makes me fear that we’re about to get another episode like “Bubble Bass’ Tab”. I promise you I don’t care for medieval or D&D stuff. I promise thoroughly. But of course, I’m only making some assumptions and predictions about the episode based on one image. Who knows if I’m even on-base at all? I guess I’ll find out in the next 20 minutes or so. (Okay so after less than 5 seconds of the episode beginning, which I’ll discuss in a second, I’ve realized that the title card for this episode is the same as Patnocchio. And the reason for that is obvious in those 5 seconds, which again I’ll be talking about literally right after this).

Yeah, I should’ve guessed that this was gonna be another fairytale episode. I mean, “The Big Bad Bubble Bass”??? That’s clearly the Big Bad Wolf. But for some reason that didn’t click with me (maybe because now I associate the Big Bad Wolf with a different character…). Wow, this review is getting off to a very disjointed start. Let me try and actually use my brain to organize things. We begin with Karen (the fairy) coming down to tell us another story, because yes, looks like the set-up from “Patnocchio” is coming back. Even though I didn’t particularly like that set up, I’m not quite groaning because this clearly isn’t something the show is going to do with regularity. Though with there being a 2 season gap between fairytale episodes, this makes me hopeful that perhaps another Gal Pals episode is on the horizon.

Looks like this episode is about Bubble Bass getting ready to add a new action figure to his collection, all while wearing a costume of a wolf, as that’s the mortal enemy of said action figure. But turns out the action figure is sold out. How sad. It also turns out that the last ones to get a Pigulon action figure are SpongeBob and Patrick, who actually like to play with action figures whereas Bubble Bass is a collector. As a collector of things myself, I’ve never understood the idea of collecting things to never use them. Like…I like collecting SpongeBob DVDs. And then guess what? I use them. That’s why I don’t really collect things like rocks and such. Okay that’s a tangent. You know another tangent I just thought of while we’re here? I’ve learned today that one of the first images of SpongeBob that comes up when you google him, the one from the Animation Wiki, is from this episode. From this part, in fact.

So Bubble Bass decides he needs to get Pigulon from SpongeBob and Patrick. SpongeBob almost agrees to give it to Bubble Bass, but Patrick vetoes. As they both bought Pigulon together. Is…is…is this a better version of “Yours Mine and Mine”? Right here? Right in front of me? I think I just started crying, excuse me. Anyway, Bubble Bass tries and tries to get Pigulon from SpongeBob and Patrick. The way that during the ghost ruse, SpongeBob and Patrick get right down to business with exorcising a ghost is actually hilarious. And then it ends with Bubble Bass getting wrecked, while we hear some sick guitars. I love it.

The following attempt starting with Bubble Bass saying “ScumBob”…please say that’s a reference because it would be so funny. But it’s equally as funny if it’s not a reference because it means that the staff of the show either have no idea what that is (funny) or are the winners of the idgaf war (also funny). So basically, no matter what, Bubble Bass saying “ScumBob” is funny. The way that SpongeBob and Patrick end up being two of the three little pigs is great, they even got some cute outfits to go with it. I wish Gary was included as one of them though, that would’ve made it even better. Though I guess it turns out that Squidward is the third one. I love that Squidward’s house takes Bubble Bass’s belches like a champ.

Bubble Bass then goes and cries to his mom, lying about the situation. So of course now his mom gotta get involved. And considering what went down in “Bubble Bass’s Tab”, I’m sure this will not bode well for our Conch Street trio. I love how she’s ashamed of Bubble Bass’s paltry belching. Like honestly, let a queen show you how it’s done. And of course Bubble Bass’s victory lasts all of two seconds until SpongeBob shows his mom the receipt of purchase. Yeah, Bubble Bass better start running.

One thing that’s great about “The Big Bad Bubble Bass” is that compared to the other fairytale episode, “Patnocchio”, this episode does a much better job at actually being influenced by the fairytale character in question. That episode only had it in outfits and the plot at the very end. This episode has it all throughout. Also, I just like the Big Bad Wolf more than Pinocchio, so that’s a big help. Additionally, even though I don’t really care for the narrator aspect, I think this episode utilized Karen’s narrating a lot more, which helps a lot for the atmosphere. And Karen was included more in this episode as a character, shown by her interactions with Bubble Bass and Squidward. It made for some more humor.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Hmmm…the title card of this episode makes me fear that we’re about to get another episode like “Bubble Bass’ Tab”. I promise you I don’t care for medieval or D&D stuff. I promise thoroughly. But of course, I’m only making some assumptions and predictions about the episode based on one image. Who knows if I’m even on-base at all? I guess I’ll find out in the next 20 minutes or so. (Okay so after less than 5 seconds of the episode beginning, which I’ll discuss in a second, I’ve realized that the title card for this episode is the same as Patnocchio. And the reason for that is obvious in those 5 seconds, which again I’ll be talking about literally right after this).

Yeah, I should’ve guessed that this was gonna be another fairytale episode. I mean, “The Big Bad Bubble Bass”??? That’s clearly the Big Bad Wolf. But for some reason that didn’t click with me (maybe because now I associate the Big Bad Wolf with a different character…). Wow, this review is getting off to a very disjointed start. Let me try and actually use my brain to organize things. We begin with Karen (the fairy) coming down to tell us another story, because yes, looks like the set-up from “Patnocchio” is coming back. Even though I didn’t particularly like that set up, I’m not quite groaning because this clearly isn’t something the show is going to do with regularity. Though with there being a 2 season gap between fairytale episodes, this makes me hopeful that perhaps another Gal Pals episode is on the horizon.

Looks like this episode is about Bubble Bass getting ready to add a new action figure to his collection, all while wearing a costume of a wolf, as that’s the mortal enemy of said action figure. But turns out the action figure is sold out. How sad. It also turns out that the last ones to get a Pigulon action figure are SpongeBob and Patrick, who actually like to play with action figures whereas Bubble Bass is a collector. As a collector of things myself, I’ve never understood the idea of collecting things to never use them. Like…I like collecting SpongeBob DVDs. And then guess what? I use them. That’s why I don’t really collect things like rocks and such. Okay that’s a tangent. You know another tangent I just thought of while we’re here? I’ve learned today that one of the first images of SpongeBob that comes up when you google him, the one from the Animation Wiki, is from this episode. From this part, in fact.

So Bubble Bass decides he needs to get Pigulon from SpongeBob and Patrick. SpongeBob almost agrees to give it to Bubble Bass, but Patrick vetoes. As they both bought Pigulon together. Is…is…is this a better version of “Yours Mine and Mine”? Right here? Right in front of me? I think I just started crying, excuse me. Anyway, Bubble Bass tries and tries to get Pigulon from SpongeBob and Patrick. The way that during the ghost ruse, SpongeBob and Patrick get right down to business with exorcising a ghost is actually hilarious. And then it ends with Bubble Bass getting wrecked, while we hear some sick guitars. I love it.

The following attempt starting with Bubble Bass saying “ScumBob”…please say that’s a reference because it would be so funny. But it’s equally as funny if it’s not a reference because it means that the staff of the show either have no idea what that is (funny) or are the winners of the idgaf war (also funny). So basically, no matter what, Bubble Bass saying “ScumBob” is funny. The way that SpongeBob and Patrick end up being two of the three little pigs is great, they even got some cute outfits to go with it. I wish Gary was included as one of them though, that would’ve made it even better. Though I guess it turns out that Squidward is the third one. I love that Squidward’s house takes Bubble Bass’s belches like a champ.

Bubble Bass then goes and cries to his mom, lying about the situation. So of course now his mom gotta get involved. And considering what went down in “Bubble Bass’s Tab”, I’m sure this will not bode well for our Conch Street trio. I love how she’s ashamed of Bubble Bass’s paltry belching. Like honestly, let a queen show you how it’s done. And of course Bubble Bass’s victory lasts all of two seconds until SpongeBob shows his mom the receipt of purchase. Yeah, Bubble Bass better start running.

One thing that’s great about “The Big Bad Bubble Bass” is that compared to the other fairytale episode, “Patnocchio”, this episode does a much better job at actually being influenced by the fairytale character in question. That episode only had it in outfits and the plot at the very end. This episode has it all throughout. Also, I just like the Big Bad Wolf more than Pinocchio, so that’s a big help. Additionally, even though I don’t really care for the narrator aspect, I think this episode utilized Karen’s narrating a lot more, which helps a lot for the atmosphere. And Karen was included more in this episode as a character, shown by her interactions with Bubble Bass and Squidward. It made for some more humor.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9/10
I too liked this one Can't wait for your Sea-Man review

Back