271a. Something Narwhal This Way Comes

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
Both shows try so hard to make you like Narwhal, but none of them succeed; she's an annoying dummy in this episode, and in any other episode she appears in.

0/10

I wish there was a lower score I could give.

Roland D. Plankton

Floating Shopping List
Bad. Not only is the "story" written very poorly (like them fixing the conflict with their first idea), but Narlene and Nobby are also very unlikeable at times. And this episode is also just boring.
One highlight is banjobob

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Okay, all I know about "Something Narwhal This Way Comes" is that it uses a character that was in Kamp Koral, I think? I’ve only seen like half of that show so I don’t even know if I’ve ever encountered that character before lol. So let’s just see how this episode turns out, because I know nothing otherwise.

Last time SpongeBob woke up to a bunch of shaking in the night, half his house was eaten by an Alaskan Bullworm. I like the way that SpongeBob and Gary react to these potential burglars, SpongeBob’s little pep talk to Gary is cute. And that little snail is prepared to deliver. But he doesn’t, because turns out the home intruder is none other than Narlene Narwhal, someone from SpongeBob’s childhood (and Kamp Koral…also her brother Nobby is here too). It’s so weird seeing SpongeBob reference events that take place in a spin-off. It’s not a bad weird, just weird, considering that this show is known for not having a continuity. That makes me wonder, do events in The Patrick Star Show ever get referenced in the main show? Questions abound. Anyway, seeing SpongeBob’s Kamp Koral fit in 2D glory is amazing, he’s so freaking adorable.

So it looks like Narlene and Nobby are here for a visit. Maybe it’s because I just watched “Ghost Host” on account of Halloween being a few days ago, but I have a feeling I might know where this plot is going. But let’s find out if this is indeed the case. Narlene and Nobby seem to be having a fine time staying over at SpongeBob’s. At least they cook so that’s nice. They’re pleasant houseguests. And the joke with the “whirlpool bathtub”, and Patrick being there for it too, was pretty funny. I also really liked the bit with SpongeBob being a banjo walking over towards Squidward. And then Nobby turns SpongeBob’s house into a…hm I feel like both of the words I’d use here are rude. But I’ll say it anyway. A hick paradise LMAO. The hilli-fied pineapple looks pretty cool from the outside though, I love it. And SpongeBob gets his own set of overalls and a straw hat to fit right in.

You know, now that I’m thinking about it, this show loves its country folk characters. I mean we got Sandy (though she usually represents a different brand of country. Less hillbilly more Southern gal), Plankton’s family, Old Man Jenkins at times, the Trenchbillies, and now these guys. Very interesting. Anyway, eventually all of Narlene’s family comes down to SpongeBob’s house, which is considered to be problematic by the town. Hold on now, is this episode about prejudice against hillbillies? Also, the way that it turns out that the narwhals aren’t even Narlene’s family, or even narwhals, is hilarious.

I’m surprised that SpongeBob turns to Plankton for help, of all people. I mean, I’m not surprised that SpongeBob would do such a thing, but that Plankton is the obvious solution is what’s surprising. Well, then I got a lot less surprised because it turns out that the “nearwhals” have been feuding with Plankton’s family for years. Man…these writers are clearly playing 4D chess because y’all saw me just bring up Plankton’s family earlier…I need to trust the process. It’s a treat seeing the Plankton family again. And I liked all the hilli-fied versions of familiar places across Bikini Bottom that we see in this scene.

Gotta admit, I actually liked seeing Narlene and her bro, so I’m almost sad to see them leave. But I know that Narlene at least has other appearances across this season, so she’s clearly becoming more of a recurring character. Anywho, Narlene and Nobby get packed up and on their way (to Squidward’s house…I forgot that Squidward would know them too lol) in a scene with, you guessed it, a gorgeous background alert. This is one of my favorite ones so far, the colors are amazing!!!

“Something Narwhal This Way Comes” was a really good episode. I thought it was very funny, and I’m a sucker for these hillbilly vibes in episodes. I also liked Narlene’s character. Nobby I don’t really feel anything about, but he doesn’t have much screentime whatsoever so it all works out. I would say that my only complaint is that the conflict is resolved too easily, but I mean the conflict wasn’t introduced til later and I wasn’t invested in it at all, so I truly don’t care.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.1/10

Back