26b. Squidville

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I love when I get to write reviews where I'm almost entirely positive. Yeah, I'll just get it out of the way now, I really like this episode.

This episode is really freaking funny. The whole running joke with the reef blowers is gold, especially at the beginning. I think my favorite bit of humor in this episode is Squidward's declaration to SpongeBob and Patrick. It's just so absurdly long and detailed and yet believable for someone to say in the heat of the moment, and then the fact that the TV guy comes out and says the exact same thing (with some funny interference by Squidward) is even better.

Honestly, I'm surprised SpongeBob SquarePants got away with showing an explicitly segregated community. And I'm even more surprised that they didn't end up using this episode to teach children about racism. And I am perfectly fine with that. In fact, I'm more than fine. SpongeBob SquarePants is my escapism, I'd really rather not have to face the problems I already deal with, you know? This episode is about diversity though, which I think is a much better way to tackle something bordering the line of racism or any kind of exclusionary policies. But that's enough seriousness out of me, let's get back to the episode.

Seeing Tentacle Acres honestly leaves me with so many questions. Especially once "House Fancy" airs, I have to ask, are all Squids the way Squidward is? Do they all live in these houses? All care about art? Is this a genetic thing? So many questions. No matter the answer to these questions, it's unquestionably enjoyable to see Squidward find excitement in all of these mundane things, such as canned bread (which first off, ew).

Anyway, this episode has a clear direction for anyone older than 7. You know that Squidward's going to end up bored here, but you enjoy it anyway. Or at least I do. Predictability is not always a bad thing, and I quite enjoy how this episode plays out. The montage is a great way of showing how I feel at college I mean, how Squidward feels as his repetitive days drag on. Also, has anyone here watched The Good Place? If you have, then maybe you know why I'm thinking of that show when Squidward bemoans living in too much paradise.

Once Squidward finally snaps, this episode returns to the usual SpongeBob chaos and I love it. Seeing Squidward going crazy with the same reef blower he criticized SpongeBob and Patrick for using earlier (with the townspeople playing his bit) is great. The townspeople's devilish little smiles when they suggest that Squidward doesn't have to live there is a great bit of subtle comedy. SpongeBob and Patrick's entrance into the second part of the episode is great, even if they are limited in their appearance. All and all, I love everything in this episode, it's just too funny.

Also, fun fact about this episode, but it's the first episode to use Sponge Monger! Love that track, truly perfect for chase scenes. Probably my second favorite of those type, after Porous Pursuit.

Anyway, to sum it all up, I really like this episode and I have no problems with it. Obviously, we all know this means that this episode is part of my "Amazing" tier. What you might not know is that this episode is not in my top 5 of the season. At least, not right now, but thinking of the rest of the episodes of this season, it probably still won't be. I love this episode, but not as much as I love some of the other ones.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.1/10

Sponge64

New Kelp City's Mayor
This episode is WAY better than any turkey and cheese sandwich I've ever had! Man, when I think of Squidward, It's this Squidward! He has feelings, is written really well, and just wants to be understood! This is my favorite Squidward episode, I'm pretty sure. Also, the transition for him being excited to live a new life to bored of the same old schedule was awesome. He gets himself into shenenigans, and ultimetely gets kicked out back to his house at the end. Einstein could never write an episode like this!

Back