268a. A Place for Pets

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I have no idea how we did it, but welcome one and all to the beginning of the end. That’s right, we’re here at the first episode of season 13, “A Place For Pets”. And as season 14 will obviously not be completed by the time I finish this month’s reviews, season 13 is the last season I will be reviewing for this project (I’ll of course review season 14 episodes at some point, but it’s not quite the same). I know, very sad. But we can get sad at the end of the month. Right now, I’ve still got 52 segments to get through. Yes, the last season I’m doing is also the longest one. Hooray.

One very, very significant thing about season 13 is that for the most part, I haven’t seen any of these episodes. It’s hard for me to catch these as they premiere, so I typically wait for DVDs to come out. And, well, season 13’s hasn’t come out quite yet. In fact, the season is literally finishing airing today. So that’s fun. But anyway, because I haven’t seen most of these episodes, this is going to be a very different experience for me. Though I already started to feel some of it in season 12, when I just didn’t have memory for a good number of the episodes there.

“A Place For Pets” is one of these unseen episodes. I can say right now I already like that the title card is a snail. I mean, my hope would be that it’s Gary, but I guess we’ll find out. Beginning the episode, it’s clear we’re about to be getting into a “Krusty Krab Business Practices” type plot (not the questionable business practices plot, that’s different). Mr. Krabs realizes that he can make a bunch of money by selling food to customers’ pets, to the expense of Squidward and his pet allergies. I like how the health inspector, when he shows up, was disguised as a little girl and we get no explanation for that lol. That’s the kind of randomness I expect from this show. Though one thing about the health inspector, I don’t like the mustache (why was I struggling hard to spell that word).

Somehow, Mr. Krabs thinks that selling to pets is more profitable than actual customers. You know…the customers who literally own the pets. Yeah, he’s not very bright in this one. And it’s also at this point, 3 minutes in, that I realize SpongeBob hasn’t appeared in this episode. Huh. Interesting (he appears like 30 seconds later so it’s whatevs). Anyway, yeah so Mr. Krabs is not very smart LMAO. This is in character for sure, but I’ll still be pointing this out. Oh and the Alaskan Bullworm is here I guess. And he’s Sandy’s pet???? Sure, why not. I think it adds character.

With all of the customers kicked out of the Krusty Krab, all of the customers are forced to eat at the Chum Bucket. Again, how did Mr. Krabs think this was a good idea??? I really liked this interaction between Patrick, Larry, and Bubble Bass. I mean, it wasn’t a direct interaction between all 3 of them, but I like how all of these characters work together to come up with the idea of dressing up as pets to sneak into the Krusty Krab. I also feel like it’s been a while since we’ve seen Larry. Plankton even helping is surprising…the fact that he has a craft corner is hilarious. But I suppose Plankton only helps so he can make his own plan easier—sneaking into the Krusty Krab via Spot. Can’t wait to see how this fails! Well it fails immediately because Spot digests Plankton. Figures.

Eventually, the customers and pets interacting results in a big ‘ol fight between all parties involved. I like how seriously SpongeBob takes his peacekeeping. And whilst he does so, he ends up unmasking the health inspector, who also pretended to be a pet to get into the Krusty Krab…well, the corruption runs deep! And then we get a random song. Y’all know I don’t even like those so now I’m kinda annoyed lol. This is very unneeded. It’s giving Wow Wow Wubbzy, except I liked the songs in that show.

I like how the episode suddenly ends with the fire marshall showing up out of nowhere (also disguised as a child) and saying Mr. Krabs is over capacity. It’s even funnier considering we just got a wide shot of the restaurant not even being that full. Ain’t no way that place is over capacity. And at least we get a Gary mention at the end, with a cute quasi-father-son moment. And then the very end is Squidward falling through the ceiling, lingering on the closing shot for a bit too long, and then sneezing in our faces. Lovely.

“A Place For Pets” was a perfectly fine episode. I think there were some good jokes in here, along with some not as good jokes. There were also moments I liked, and some moments I did not like. A very mixed-bag type of episode, you feel? I think I had some problems with the pacing here, and they were particularly evident by the end. The song screamed unneeded padding time, and the very end was just weirdly timed. So that was a bit odd. But other than that, I liked what I saw. I wasn’t horribly invested in the plot, though.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7/10

distinctincident5624

Imitation Krab
This episode was okay. I didn't find anything that really made me laugh, but the song was neat. The episode as a whole is kind of forgettable and some parts genuinely kind of grossed me out, especially Spot "digesting" Plankton.

It's an okay start to the season but it could have been better. 6/10

Back