266. Escape from Beneath Glove World

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
Plot: SpongeBob and Patrick are sent to jail in the underground tunnels of Glove World!, leading to a daring escape.
Discuss/rate this episode.
I like this episode. 7.5/10.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
Just the way they got lost in a big place and explored like the setup to many RR episodes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, I get it!

It wouldn't be the first time SpongeBob took inspiration from Rugrats

*coughToyStoreofDoomcough*

But the difference is in this episode the adventure they went on was real while with Rugrats it was imaginary

A lot of this is most likely the result of Stephen Hillenburg and some other SBSP people working on Rugrats

Last edited:

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode’s first half was really annoying, lacked substance, and wasn’t funny. The second half however is awesome, and the complete opposite of the first half

Good Episode (7/10)

Grass-Skirt-Chase

Call me Këlp0
There were a few cute moments that I liked throughout the episode, but it was kinda boring and seemed really childish. I dunno, I thought the glove song and other cheesy stuff was really dumb. I also don’t like the idea of Glove World being treated like a factory of some sort. I feel like Glove World always has some shenanigans going on with it! 😫 Get it together, Glove World. Didn’t you close???

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I watched it some hours ago. This special is bad. It is childish, boring, unfunny and has the issue of seasons 10+.
I give it 2.5/10

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
boring (am i the only one who thought this episode was kinda meta, felt like an episode of the simpsons more than spongebob)

4/10

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
I don't like this one. None of the glove jokes are funny, I find the kid annoying, and the whole thing is filler on top of being an Itchy & Scratchy Land clone (a pretty lousy clone too). It's mostly filler with some jokes at the start, and while I appreciate the increased effort to add jokes here, none of them were funny to me and they got really annoying really fast. I don't have too much to add here, it's just bland, unfunny, and really forgettable.

1.5/10

A Glove World special has a lot of potential and they don't use it properly here.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Just when I thought I was home free…boom a special. Listen, I love me some SpongeBob, but I’m dying here y’all!! Do you know how long it takes me to write just one review?? 30 minutes, typically. A special like this? Man I’m gonna be here for an hour. I’ve got essays to write and coding to do, let’s get this done now.

Well, the title of this episode, “Escape From Beneath Glove World”, immediately makes me think of Around the Clock at Bikini Bottom. Quite an excellent fan-game, if I say so myself. It also makes me think of the Glove World level in the Cosmic Shake. I wonder if that level got any inspiration from this episode. I suppose we’ll see. Anywho, as you might expect, this episode begins with SpongeBob and Patrick having quite the fun time at Glove World, to the point where their bodies are horrifically altered by the rides. I like how they use those glove slaps to fix their faces.

SpongeBob and Patrick go to watch what is clearly an animatronic show…are we about to get Five Nights at Freddy’s in here??? After a glove song that I don’t really care about (it’s hard to get me to care about random songs like this, full disclosure). SpongeBob and Patrick really want to meet the animatronic, who they think is the real Hieronymous Glove. And they end up breaking him. This bit with Patrick is actually pretty funny. Anyway, SpongeBob and Patrick end up causing chaos and horror, starting the next animatronic show with a decapitated animatronic. This whole scene is actually a lot funnier than I expected. I love how absolutely absurd this is, especially once SpongeBob and Patrick get sent to Glove World jail (which The Cosmic Shake for sure took from this episode).

Glove World seems to be quite fond of animatronics. Patrick’s beef with them is hilarious. Patrick’s in very good form so far this episode. The two then meet a bunch of kids who’ve also been jailed. Something about this seems unethical…but hey it’s all for comedic value. Everyone decides to break out of jail once SpongeBob accidentally does so, and SpongeBob being the little snitch he is pulls on the escape alarm. Oh SpongeBob, never change.

As this is a special, we of course have to have a B-plot going on. This episode’s B-plot has to do with the animatronic Hieronymous Glove that SpongeBob and Patrick broke earlier. We cut to some workers clearly going to fix him up. I’m telling you, I’m calling it now, we’re getting some Five Nights at Freddy’s stuff in here. The workers are quite rude to the animatronic, who has an attitude. And a vendetta against Patrick. Told y’all! Back to SpongeBob and Patrick, they end up in a very Atlantis-looking part of Glove World. Something tells me this theme park partakes in very illegal activities. This part is pretty entertaining, with some good jokes here and there, like the guy getting fried, or the other guy getting pulled away by one of the Glove Guards.

SpongeBob and Patrick end up losing the little kid again, and so they have to chase after him through the facility. And what do you know, he ends up taking control of the Hieronymous Glove animatronic’s body. And when SpongeBob and Patrick head in, they’re a bit too distracted by the “robot morgue” to realize what happened. At least until the kid covers them with water. I feel like this section could’ve been a lot more chaotic than it actually was. I mean there is a good amount of chaos here…but not the kind I like. I know I’m making no sense, but I don’t know how else to describe it. Also, I think the presence of this kid is wholly unnecessary. After a few minutes of events I only marginally care about, eventually the Hieronymous Glove animatronic gains full control over his body, and he keeps the kid as ransom so that he can decapitate Patrick.

I actually like how anticlimactic this bit is, with Patrick simply taking off his own head. It was a good subversion of expectation. And then Patrick ends up taking over Hieronymous Glove’s body, while Hieronymous Glove takes over Patrick’s. So now we get some fighting. See, this is why I think Patrick’s been at top form this episode—he’s not totally oblivious to what’s going on, which means he actually gets angry. It’s just more entertaining this way. Eventually, the real Hieronymous Glove shows up and denies the animatronic’s personhood (lol). And then because this episode did have some Charlie and the Chocolate Factory nods, Hieronymous Glove gives all of Glove World to SpongeBob and Patrick…just kidding. And then we get another random song. And…no explanation for the kid. Also the other kids just kind of disappeared…hm.

“Escape From Beneath Glove World” was alright. The best part of the episode for me was easily Patrick, which is saying a lot because y’all know that I typically don’t care for Patrick very much. But he was written excellently in this one. I just wish the rest of the episode followed suit. Between a dragged out plot, a pointless kid, and disappearing characters, most of the writing in this episode is rather poor. This episode would’ve been better as a 16-minute affair, or maybe even 11 minutes. But 22 minutes? Absolutely not. Unless they wanted to lean into a horror aspect or an “Atlantis SquarePantis” type plot. Then I could’ve seen it. But as it is, it feels too shallow to justify the 22 minutes we spent here. And again, the random kid that acted like an animatronic the whole time but turns out they were just a random kid I guess? Boring. So boring. Ugh, I hate when episodes have really good stuff and really not-so-good stuff, it makes it hard to rate them. I just think that I wouldn’t personally rewatch this episode, so Okay-tier it is.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.5/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
glad to see pugs4thugs keeping up with the times
LMAO it's funny you say that, because I just prewrote my review for "Goofy Scoopers" and I mention the FNAF movie in that one. What can I say, I'm hip with the kids 😎 (if you hated that, trust me when I say I hated it more)

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
Oh boy.. as of season 14 and before the 300th episode this is the last full on normal special that isn't a holiday or a anniversary special and how is it?... its entertaining to say the least and the people who remember glove universe i have a theory that they changed the name back to glove world i don't have a lot to say about it but its entertaining

Last edited:

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
I actually really liked this episode!!

Found this episode entertaining and kept my attention (which isn't super easy, I have a pretty low attention span), and I liked the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory reference. Me and my sister both like this episode, also why I like season 12 quite a bit.

Out of the season 12 episodes, this ones gotta be one of my favorites.

8.5/10 Episode!! Would watch again!

Back