258b. The Goofy Newbie

Chris

Floridian
Not the worst or the best episode. I would say more but I don't want to ruin it for people who haven't seen it reading this.

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Didn't really care for this one. It didn't have that many jokes and the overall plot was forgettable.

Eh Episode (5.5/10)

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I have watched it for first time yesterday. It was really meh. It was not funny nor annoying. I give it 3/10 instead of 5/10 just because it still has the post sequal problems

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Surprisingly, I have not seen “The Goofy Newbie” more than once, I don’t think. And I know this because there’s no way I would forget an episode like this as much as I have otherwise. Even if it was bad. Because, um, hello?? We’re in Goofy Goobers?? I know we’ve been at this location recently, but it’s still wild to me that we’re seeing again outside of the first movie.

This episode begins with Patrick tryna game the system by using samples to his advantage, but eventually the worker gets tired of him and calls security. I love how security ends up being the guy in the peanut. I think there was a missed opportunity for a joke here though…should’ve had the guy rip off the costume right there and had the kid start bawling cuz he thought, you know. Yeah it’s morbid but come on, it woulda been funny. Anyway, after Patrick is kicked out, some workers on break sit on top of him and talk about how the job lets them eat all the ice cream they want.

Wow, an employed Patrick so soon after “Insecurity Guards”? Patrick clearly goes straight to apply for the job, because we cut to the Goofy Goobers training video…now where have I seen this before? While this segment is largely independent from “Krusty Krab Training Video”, I’d like to think the whole “from those humble beginnings” thing was a direct reference, even if that is a common phrase. I also like the little ragtime gimmick going on here too. And the random end with the extraterrestials is funny.

You know, this episode is quite similar to “Krusty Krab Training Video” in that Patrick keeps trying to get some ice cream, where in that episode SpongeBob kept begging to cook a patty. That’s definitely not the episode I would’ve expected this episode to be like. Anywho, Patrick gets assigned dishwashing duty, and surprisingly he doesn’t seem to mess it up…until he reveals he “cleaned” the dishes by licking them. The manager is really funny here. Next, Patrick has to unload ice cream boxes from a truck into the freezer. Honestly, the manager was just being foolish with this one because why would you give Patrick access to ice cream? And yeah I know Bikini Bottom is not consistent as to whether it’s one of those “everyone knows everyone” towns or not, but surely the manager had to know that Patrick is an ice cream fiend from his actions earlier that day, right?

Okay let me drop my musings about the state of the manager’s headspace. The way Patrick manages to mess up this job was actually a bit humorous, mostly because it’s not the predictable “he eats the ice cream” I was expecting, but rather a literal wave of ice cream because Patrick turns the heat on. So now Patrick’s next job is being the Goofy Goober mascot. That’s basically torture. The kids start treating Patrick like they did SpongeBob in “Krabby Land”. And because of some shenanigans, the kids end up driving everyone out of the parlor, leaving Patrick alone with all their ice cream. But of course the manager catches him in the act. So now Patrick’s got one last chance to get this right, or no ice cream for him.

Finally, SpongeBob enters the episode, because I mean there was no way he wasn’t gonna be in this one. He’s chilling on Patrick’s rock when Patrick gets back so that he can hear how Patrick’s first day was. Now I’m wondering about the timetable of this episode haha. I like when episodes reference (or implicitly reference) events that occurred off-screen. Anyway, Patrick’s upset because he can’t do anything right (well now I feel like I’m watching “Big Pink Loser” and “Stanley S. SquarePants” lol…or “Pat No Pay”). And of course this episode has to use that joke y’all know I don’t like with Patrick not knowing who SpongeBob is. Literally why do episodes keep using this joke. It’s becoming way, way too common.

SpongeBob comes to work with Patrick the next day, which makes me question how he even got a uniform…but anyway they’re both cute in their uniforms so its cute. The joke with SpongeBob and Patrick before they head inside was pretty funny, like SpongeBob was not gonna be caught lacking. Anyway, SpongeBob and Patrick’s ruse manages to work for a while…somehow. I can’t tell if the manager really did not know SpongeBob was there or if he just didn’t care. Anyway, SpongeBob does all the work, as expected, while Patrick literally sleeps. It’s fun to watch SpongeBob have a different job for once, since we rarely get to see him in another environment that isn’t the Krusty Krab.

Finally, Patrick can take his first break. So he starts eating the ice cream, and before I could even worry about where this episode is going, SpongeBob is heading off to the Krusty Krab for his actual job. Phew. I really thought we were gonna get an “I’m With Stupid” type episode. Anyway, Patrick goes crazy, eating all the ice cream in the place, and getting horrendous brain freeze that ends up freezing the entire world. And then we cut to five billion years later. You know…that is not what I expected to happen in this episode. And because everything was frozen, that much time passing doesn’t matter except for everyone now being that much closer to the sun going supernova, the Andromeda galaxy colliding with ours, and the heat death of the universe yadda yadda yadda. Either way, it ends with Patrick getting fired, and then walking straight into a spaceship. Sure, why not? Bizarre ending, who can hate that?

“The Goofy Newbie” was a fun episode. I don’t particularly care for episodes that are primarily about Patrick’s incompetence, but I thought this episode was mostly good if not at least decent in that regard. There were some moments I was nearly bored, but I was mostly entertained throughout. I’m trying to figure out if this is a Good or Great tier episode. I think low Great, because I felt more connected to it than I have been for the last few episodes.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.3/10

Back