258a. Boss for a Day

Kakadu14

Baby Clam
I really liked it for a post-1st movie episode. I actually chuckled naturally at the ways Mr. Krabs got hurt, which I haven't done while watching any of the new episodes for years. SpongeBob actually got mad and snapped instead of being the spineless chucklebox he has been reduced to. The characters actually seemed in character in this episode.

Walik

Baby Clam
Perhaps this is one of the most unoriginal episodes in the history of the series. Seriously, they mixed a whole bunch of episodes into one! "Squid's Day Off", "Gullible Pants", "CopyBob DittoPants"... Wow, how much of everything that we have already learned by heart over the years. But do not forget about the very mediocre jokes that only the youngest viewer will like (naked Patrick =/= funny). Well, of course, this kit includes annoying characters. Starting from Bob himself, ending with stupid visitors.

What was it created for? For whom? What for? Not only does this episode repeat what has already been passed, and does not compensate for this shortcoming with something original or at least funny... I can praise the local animation, but this is not so much a plus for a specific episode as for a season in general.

1/5

SQUIGOR

sponge on the run is not bad y'all are just mean
The idea is pretty simple, but the episode is full of great comedy, animation and charm, it's a really fun episode, 4/5.

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
this is basically a rehash of every "something goes wrong while working at the krusty krab" episode under the sun, which isn't nessicarily a bad thing, but it does decrease the episode quality a bit. as it stands, this episode is honestly kinda boring, with a few decent jokes here and there. this episode is far from bad, but it doesn't really do anything to stand out from the rest of them.

5/10

Bigsmoker

Frozen Cephalopod
I have watched it for first time yesterday. It was a rip-off of many old episodes as people have mentioned before.
It was a bad episode for me, I give it 2/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
For today’s episode, we’ve got “Boss For A Day”. I don’t really have very much to say about this episode before I rewatch it, other than it reminds me of “Hall Monitor”. I feel like it reminds me of more episodes too, but I can’t quite put my finger on which episodes those are. I like how it’s basically the opposite of “Squid’s Day Off” though (and by the way, I mean we already knew this, but some of y'all like to throw around the term "rip-off" wayyyyy too much with no hesistation).

At the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs runs a tight ship, at least that’s what this episode is saying. Not only does he take care of the needs of everyone in the Krusty Krab, but he also gets into a duel with pirates who try to siege the place. Man, since when has Mr. Krabs been so involved in the day-to-day of the restaurant? And don’t answer that, I know Mr. Krabs is more involved than most real-life owners. But there’s something amusing about him being portrayed like this. It more feels like a daydream than who Mr. Krabs really is.

Musings about this aside, Mr. Krabs’ perfect day is interrupted by SpongeBob hitting him with the door, causing him to go flying amusingly. But this ends with him getting quite injured, so he needs to leave someone in charge for the day. Who he wants to leave in charge is Squidward, who, while hating his job, is probably the more responsible one (in this episode at least). But I love how Squidward makes it look like Mr. Krabs is pointing at SpongeBob so he can avoid the extra work lol. Poor Mr. Krabs then leaves panicking because SpongeBob’s been left in charge.

The episode actually surprises me a little bit, first with Squidward engendering some insecurities into SpongeBob (as SpongeBob being anxious about doing the job right is not exactly the direction I expected this episode to take), and then with Mr. Krabs actually showing up again a minute later, in a full-body cast a la “Jellyfishing”. SpongeBob is adorable when Mr. Krabs comes back, by the way. Mr. Krabs’ utter horror is funny too. And his horror continues when he sees that SpongeBob hired a new fry cook…Patrick. who’s wearing SpongeBob’s clothes…kind of. Kinda preferred the “Big Pink Loser” look, honestly. Anyway, SpongeBob seems to be doing alright being the boss, but eventually he starts being a little tyrannical. But with a smile! The smiling device he puts on Squidward is humorrific (humorous + horrific).

Then SpongeBob starts micromanaging…yeah this is very in character. I love how over it Patrick is, it’s hilarious. We don’t usually see him like this. And when Patrick quits, SpongeBob ends up accidentally cutting a sliver off of himself, so he uses this aspect of himself to work the grill. But it seems he’ll have to cut himself down more, because Squidward’s had enough of working at the Krusty Krab too, so now SpongeBob’s down a cashier.

Okay I gotta admit, the customers in this episode range from maybe amusing to annoying. And right now we’re for sure at annoying. Why are they all so infantilized? That stuff will never really be funny to me, because y’all are grown. Not cute. Anyway, with things getting worse and worse in the restaurant, SpongeBob freaks out, and cuts off more and more pieces of himself to cater to every customer. And then Patrick randomly walks in, fully naked. Sure, why not. The wind causes all of SpongeBob’s slices to float away and into the fan, where they get…shredded. Well then, that got dark. And it also makes all the customers leave, which makes Mr. Krabs go so ballistic he instantly heals himself. But of course, he can’t stay mad at SpongeBob, who just wanted to be a good boss. This counts as a quasi-father-son crumb.

“Boss For A Day” was alright. I might’ve been distracted while watching this thing, but I didn’t feel quite so invested. I feel like the episode went in too many different directions? Like I feel like it should’ve been primarily about SpongeBob’s insecurities causing him to self-sabotage, or it should’ve been about him micromanaging. But instead we got hints of both of those plus him being overwhelmed. There was just a little too much going on. But I did really like the ending of this episode, I thought it was cute.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.7/10

SneakyMcSneakyPants

Floating Shopping List
Definitely one of my favorites from Season 12 and does a much better job with the “SpongeBob runs the Krusty Krab” idea than Gullible Pants. Maybe I’ll write a longer review for this ep when I have more time on my hands.

Back