254. SpongeBob's Big Birthday Blowout

DannyWapbang

Sponge of Mystery
The beans part felt like Tim & Eric. I felt so sad for that black guy. Could've been Cyborg but nooooooo... he has to do THIS... hahahahahaha!

warblower99

Chop those gravy bars
I think the Beans part was completely unnecessary. The ending was the only real tribute to SB that I think was very good.

The dedication at the end was also pretty cool.

My favorite episode of all time! This was the 20th birthday party that we all deserved! David Hasselhoff returns, the party premise is great, SpongeBob, and Patchy sort of meet (beautifully showing Los Angeles), up to par live action (especially Plankton), and then Patchy and SpongeBob really meet! A salute to Stephen! Hillenburg!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tacomaster

Moby Dollar
Went on for a bit too long and was a bit unfocused. Really enjoyed the dedication at the end, though, and the ending in general, with Patchy's head, the age gag, and the new theme song.

Also, beans.

Copy of a review I made on SBC:

I did not like this special for many reasons.

1. So much of this episode feels forced. For example, it feels like the reasons people get mad at each other in SpongeBob's house seems to happen because the plot demands it. There are other examples, but this is the one that comes to mind.

2. Too many random bits. It just seems unnecessary to have the parts with the beans and the gorilla masks. They hardly affect the plot and they're not funny.

3. It's predictable as all can be. You know exactly what's going to happen when SpongeBob gets back home and you know that whenever the people in the bus try to sing Happy Birthday to SpongeBob, something will go wrong.

4. This doesn't knock the episode back, but the way Nick advertised this was pretty bad. Like what Rebus said, The Trusty Slab was heavily advertised but hardly got any screen time at all.

So, is this the worst SpongeBob episode ever? No. I probably wouldn't even put it in my bottom 50. But it seemed like Nick put the least amount of effort possible into making this. And I'll be honest, Nick's not been in a very good position lately with SpongeBob. They steal fanart from someone, cancel what would've been the biggest SpongeBob marathon yet, and it all leads up to a TV movie that feels really half-baked. I hope that if SpongeBob runs for another 10 years, Nick will put in more effort into the 30th anniverary special.

3/10.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
It felt like a grand finale for the series

I will admit the special was kinda cute though and to me is the LAST real episode of SpongeBob SquarePants!

This was the last time we get to see Stephen Hillenburg's influence

Also, the Nick star cameos worked well without being forced

The live action doppelgängers were funny too

An actually decent-quality modern SpongeBob special

6/10

Last edited:

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
It was just...fine. I didn’t laugh as hard as I would’ve wanted, but I was at least invested in both plots. I can excuse the flimsiness of the A plot in part for it being a “road trip”, and the B plot was pretty fun for what it was, Sandy and the gang doing their best to celebrate SpongeBob in his absence.

But at the end of the day, it wasn’t particularly funny. There were only a few times I laughed super hard, and much of the live action stuff’s hit with the same problem Nickelodeon’s always, always had with live action- it’s just goofy for the sake of it. It took me a while to recognise that the “gorilla meeting” was a call-back to I Had an Accident.

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
I thought it was good/great, I didn't get the beans part, the underwater part was better than on land but it was good. The gorilla part was hilarious and after the episode I realized it was a call back to "I Had A Accident" to the fact that Kaz wrote this episode. The on land animation was AMAZING. Its the best TV movie for the show and better than TOS. I dont usually pay for a single Spongebob episode but this was worth the 2.99 I paid for on Amazon.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I really liked it. Patchy finally gets to meet his idol after 20 years. 8.5/10

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
This felt as much of a finale as "The Sponge who could Fly" where there was the "Remembering SpongeBob" montage and the part at the end where The French Narrator said: "As long as there are stars in the sky, SpongeBob will live on in our hearts & our minds!"

This show needs to stop doing fake-out stuff IMHO because it's gotten old

iedasb

Crazy Artist
Review: 6/10
I guess? I don't know those nick actors so it's a meh from me, tbh I found it a bit forced but heh, maybe people liked that. David Hasselhoff part was funny, but again I only know him because of the first movie.
The part with the the voice actors were ok, I think they wanted to make something like that since the first movie, as we saw in the deleted scenes. Beans part, office/gorilla part was... Out of character, I mean I thought I would never see something like that in SpongeBob, but I guess the human world is as crazy as the sea world then. Idk what to think. I don't want more of that tho.
The cartoon part, nobody knows how to write Sandy like she was in beginning of SpongeBob, so well, don't like her like I used to. Bubble Bass? He didn't hated SpongeBob? So weird. The party was a mess, not good, those characters weren't really acting like themselfs, not even Plankton. The party planning party sucked a lot.
Patrick was TOO dumb. Too forced. But he was a nice dumb, not a jerk dumb, so that ok, I guess. SpongeBob will never be like he was, I don't even care about how he acts anymore, at least he's still that cute sponge we've meet as kids.
I watched without problems or cringing a lot(I only cringed a bit on those real life people part). The cameos we ok, but talk more about them on my other thoughts. The bus driver was weird, but not annoying, so I guess he was ok.
I loved that Patchy finally meet SpongeBob, it was cute, I always wanted to see that happening as a child, it's was great, not as I expected, but it was a warm feeling, he finally meeting the character he adores. I was rooting for him all the time, and I wish he had more screentime! I always imagined Patchy meeting SpongeBob by holding him on his hand, just like David Hasselhoff did in the first movie, but that hug was nice enough.
Ahh hearing SpongeBob singing his own theme song is so good! Also loved it so much!

Other thoughts:
Mindy? Why Mindy does that means this episode takes place after the first movie? The supposed series ending...
I don't understand. So is SpongeBob a manager already on this episode? So confunsing, I know SpongeBob isn't supposed to make sense, but that's way too much! But I loved almost all the cameos!
Mindy WAS there. Patrick knew she was invited. Why then he hit on the fish? lol
I think the guy who always showed his love for Bubble Bass here on sbmania is working on SpongeBob, because omg, he's appearing too much on the show nowdays XD
Mr. Charleston can come steal my secret sauce recipe anytime X'D
I'm not a big fan of SpongeBob Musical, but was nice to see them there.

I saw episode on a site, since you guy know I'm not american, I dont have nick, the episode didn't come out in dvd but I couldn't wait to watch. In the ending it was written "Thank you Steve Hillenburg" that appeared on the real episode? Because it's Stephen, not Steve... ???

hastaluego

Floating Shopping List
I watched the special twice. I really enjoyed it, although the part with Kel and the beans maybe went on a little too long.

I have a question though. Can anybody till me if (or where) King Neptune and Jill Talley (live action for the latter) are in the episode? They are both listed on the episode character list on Encyclopedia SpongeBobia but I couldn't spot them. I didn't see King Neptune in line with Princess Mindy so I'm assuming I missed him at SpongeBob's house somewhere.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
I watched the special twice. I really enjoyed it, although the part with Kel and the beans maybe went on a little too long.

I have a question though. Can anybody till me if (or where) King Neptune and Jill Talley (live action for the latter) are in the episode? They are both listed on the episode character list on Encyclopedia SpongeBobia but I couldn't spot them. I didn't see King Neptune in line with Princess Mindy so I'm assuming I missed him at SpongeBob's house somewhere.
Neptune wasn't there. Jill Talley played one of the office employees.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Actually, there are two audio versions of the live-action parts. The first one plays on international Nickelodeons that have the English audio track, and it has the actors' real speech during the filming. The second version that is on iTunes, Amazon, etc., has the live-action characters speaking the lines more audibly and without any echoes, meaning they ADRed the dialogue.

Back