253a. Jolly Lodgers

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I first watched it a few months ago and did not like it. 5.5/10

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Hey Hey what can i say about this episode? I say its absolutely atrocious i didnt like SpongeBob nor Patrick and i actually felt bad for poor Squidward i hate this episode...

Final Rating: 5/20 Stupid

PatSquid678

Baby Clam
While not the best episode ever, it's a really funny one which has Squidward get what he wants in the end. I love the ending line being Squidward singing "I get peace and quiet" in conga line. With that said, I can certainly understand why some people would hate it. 8/10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
It took me a second, but I remember this episode. This was one of those episodes that people on Twitter were circling around when they were hating on modern SpongeBob, as they often do. And because modern SpongeBob haters don’t like it, that means I’m probably gonna like this episode lol.

I like how this episode begins in the middle of what could easily be another plot—Squidward’s house infested with sea urchins. SpongeBob is adorable in this beginning scene, it’s so cute. And I love the little background bit of SpongeBob feeding the sea urchins. And it turns out that Patrick also broke into Squidward’s house because he thought it was a circus. Things are never easy for this guy on Conch Street, are they? At least Squidward is going to have some peace and quiet for a few days, as he’s booked a hotel to stay at while his house gets fumigated. At least…that’s what he thinks.

Because turns out, the hotel is also hosting the Jellyfishing Convention, which of course SpongeBob and Patrick are attending. And of course their rooms are right next to Squidward’s. Just like home! But before we get there, I really liked the bit with the hotel clerk, that was hilarious. Anyway, Squidward gets peace and quiet for all of 30 seconds until SpongeBob and Patrick start running through his room. Though at first he doesn’t know it’s them, and thinks it’s some rando. So he decides to get more relaxed, and of course SpongeBob and Patrick decide to prank him when he calls room service. Because they somehow got a job at the hotel??? I think the shark is just purposefully trolling Squidward at this point. You know what else is remarkable about this scene? I think this is the first time I’ve ever been amused by the joke of Patrick not knowing who people are. They used his smug attitude perfectly here. I still don’t like these jokes in general, but that one was great!

Squidward tries his best to get some peace and quiet even with SpongeBob and Patrick in the hotel with him. I loved the little delivery on “I used to love the conga”, that was funny. I love all the different places in the hotel we get to see while we get this semi-montage. Also the reference to The Shining was fantastic. I laughed fr. And this is the scene that people were complaining about because something something exaggerated expressions, like…okay? It was fun!

Poor Squidward ends up getting dragged into the convention. This episode is basically comedic psychological horror. I love it. Squidward tries to escape the convention by using the jellyfish mascot…which is a horrible idea, even for him. And it leads to him being chased by the entire convention because there’s a jellyfish mascot hunt. This guy can literally never get a break, and we’re all better for it because it’s hilarious. And hey, at least he gets his lick back a little bit using the zapper. And he gets it back even more by calling the exterminators on everyone, allowing him to finally enjoy some peace and quiet (and the conga!).

“Jolly Lodgers” does a great job at taking the core trio and putting them in a new location. The main thing I didn’t like here was that SpongeBob and Patrick were just too over the top at times. Like when they’re revealed to be the ones massaging Squidward, why are they shouting and acting crazy??? But other than that, I really enjoyed this one. I especially like that Squidward got to win in the end. Not that I usually care whether he wins or loses, but this episode really put him through it, so it felt right for him to come out on top.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

Back