251b. Senior Discount

coft

happy hopping moron
Plot Synopsis: Mr. Krabs tries to get Old Man Jenkins out of the Krusty Krab.

This episode was good.

I didn't like this one as much as Broken Alarm. It was fine, but nothing about it struck me as great.

THE LIST:
1. Broken Alarm (A)
2. The Krusty Slammer (A)
3. Stormy Weather (B)
4. Sandy's Nutty Nieces (B)
5. FarmerBob (B)
6. Senior Discount (B)
7. King Plankton (C)
8. The Nitwitting (C)
9. Insecurity Guards (C)
10. The Ballad of Filthy Muck (D)

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
This was a good episode. I especially loved the gag of the oldest relatives of Eugene and Jenkins. "Respect Your Elders!!!" This was a Good episode 8/10

EditorWiki

Floating Shopping List
I liked/loved it, the second part/ending of the episode was my favorite part and it was awesome seeing Yeti Krabs etc come back, good ep.

EDIT: Also the animation was more kinda like the 1st Season if you know what I mean? Squidward and the Krusty Krab looked more animated and less detailed if it makes sense lol.

Last edited:

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode was alright, however I'll probably rewatch it later down the line to see if it's better than I remember. However I loved the part where Mr. Krabs and Old Man Jenkins are bringing out a bunch of their ancestors and then at the end they both get kicked out of the Krusty Krab by their ancestors.

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
This episode was just a bunch of filler. I was annoyed by both Mr. Krabs and Old Man Jenkins (but more so by Jenkins) and the episode didn't go anywhere. If this was a 4 minute episode like the ones in Season 5, I could see it being good, but in its 11 minute form it just goes on for too long. Did we really need 4 minutes worth of the exact same gag at the end of the episode? The last third of the episode is just Old Man Jenkins & Mr. Krabs finding old relatives so they can beat the person on the other side. None of the plans to get rid of Jenkins work, and Jenkins trying to strike back at Krabs doesn't really work either because he still doesn't stop Mr. Krabs from trying to kick him out. In fact, both Old Man Jenkins & Mr. Krabs get kicked out in the end, so really this entire episode was pointless.

4/10

Not the worst episode, but certainly not a good one.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Senior Discount” is another episode I don’t remember quite so well, but I do still have some memory of it. And I don’t remember ever having a strong opinion about this one. But given that I’ve probably only watched it like twice before rewatching, that makes sense. Especially if it turns out that I’m giving this episode a middling rating (Good or Okay).

As the episode starts, I’ve gotta say it—I know you like money Mr. Krabs. I know very well. This beginning part of the episode is not visually interesting enough to me to justify how long it goes on. I can see the clear attempts at visual comedy and amusement, and I won’t say they fail, but I think there could’ve been a lot more here. But anyway, this lasts only 30-40 seconds, so we move on. And where we move on is to the main plot of the episode—Mr. Krabs doesn’t like having Old Man Jenkins in his restaurant. You know, for once, I think using an established character actually hurts this episode. I know, crazy opinion coming from me, but like…we’ve seen Old Man Jenkins in this restaurant…a lot. Without Mr. Krabs freaking out. And yes I know this show has no continuity, we all know this, you know that I know this, but that doesn’t mean that at some point you have to acknowledge that some things are carried over between episodes. Old Man Jenkins being the resident old guy of Bikini Bottom being one of them. And yes, that’s why they used him for this plot, but I think that’s also why this plot has this inherent flaw. But honestly, this is just a nitpick, so allow me to move on.

Old Man Jenkins does prove to be quite the annoying customer as Mr. Krabs puts it. In the real world, Mr. Krabs could very easily kick him out. Also, I wonder why the Krusty Krab even has a senior discount, there’s no way Mr. Krabs would ever implement something like that! And the episode doesn’t even address this??? Mr. Krabs decides to kick out Old Man Jenkins, but other customers protest this treatment. Which again confuses me because weren’t the customers annoyed by Old Man Jenkins? Maybe it’s because Mr. Krabs is rough with him. I don’t know. Internal consistency is clearly going to be a problem in this episode, isn’t it?

Now why is Old Man Jenkins singing?? And he terrorizes customers while he does so, again making me point to the thing I just said about internal consistency. This is really starting to bother me…Anyway, SpongeBob suggests that Mr. Krabs nicely asks Old Man Jenkins to leave, so Mr. Krabs tells him to do it. And then he funnily mimics SpongeBob. Old Man Jenkins manages to tell SpongeBob his whole life story just about, which is a pretty funny commentary on the way some old folks act haha. Now the question is, is Old Man Jenkins intentionally manipulative or not? Not sure which I would find more amusing. I guess the former if this is really going to be a fair fight between Mr. Krabs and Old Man Jenkins.

Mr. Krabs decides he’s going to play dirty, so he uses the thermostat to try and get Old Man Jenkins out, by making the restaurant unbearably hot. Though it somehow makes Old Man Jenkins cold. Also, Mr. Krabs changing the thermostat? That’s crazy. I like all the visual gags with Mr. Krabs getting angry though, that is one thing I’m liking in this episode. Anywho, Mr. Krabs next tries playing really loud rock music. The gag with the sign headbanging was hilarious. And this plot similarly fails. So now Mr. Krabs just tells Old Man Jenkins to leave…which is apparently illegal in Bikini Bottom.

Finally, Mr. Krabs comes up with a new plan…use elders to beat elders. Hey, you know what, we get to see all sorts of new characters from this…like Mr. Krabs’ father?? (this raises a lot of questions about the appearance of Grandpa Redbeard). And then Old Man Jenkins pulls out his father, Very Old Man Jenkins (okay that was funny), which again leaves me with many questions. So then Mr. Krabs pulls out another elder…Grandpa Redbeard????? You know what, I adore this, and maybe I like this episode for this reason alone now. Old Man Jenkins and Mr. Krabs continue pulling out older and older members of their family which leaves me so many questions about the ages and lifespans of these people (though eventually we do just get to ghosts). As it gets more and more ridiculous, it gets more amusing. And also, something I just thought about that is rather amusing is that this episode is about Mr. Krabs vs. Old Man Jenkins. Like…Mr. Krabs is not that much younger than that guy. Though it seems this episode is leaning more into Mr. Krabs is in his 40s or 50s rather than 60s, like other episodes put it.

Anyway, we eventually get to the point of a full-on ghost battle between the Krabs’ and Jenkins’…just kidding, the fight is only between Old Man Jenkins and Mr. Krabs. The ghosts are more concerned about the fact that they’re finally visiting the land of the living, and they don’t care about fighting. So they kick out the two fools who started it all. And with nowhere else to go, they decide to play cards at the Chum Bucket, seemingly friends now that they’ve both been kicked out by their ancestors lol. Love a good enemies to friends plot.

“Senior Discount” was alright. Like its sister episode, it does not start out very well. It begins with a too-long scene, and then poor writing decisions for like 3 minutes straight. And then the episode just becomes nearly dull for a little bit. But things pick up once Mr. Krabs starts trying to kick Old Man Jenkins out in the variety of interesting ways, even if one of them is very inconsistent with Mr. Krabs’ character. The episode gets well and truly good when Mr. Krabs and Old Man Jenkins start pulling out ancestors to help their cause. But by then, so much of the episode has already passed. I am again reminded of “Shell Games”, as these two episodes have very similar problems. This episode has the advantage of having Mr. Krabs be a more inherently entertaining character to watch compared to Patrick, but it also has the disadvantage of more writing inconsistencies and annoying Bikini Bottomite moments. So in the end, they turn out about equal.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.9/10

Back