24a. Dying for Pie

Ice Dripping

Part Computer or Something
Such an amazing episode. Definitely in my top 20, probably even top 10 favorite episodes. It was another great episode showing that Squidward really cares about Spongebob deep down. It's always very heartwarming to watch and there were also some really funny parts. 10/10

Squidy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
The fast food restaurant that only sick people eat
So this is a GOLDEN episode I don't even know what to say the jokes are good (GARY YOU ARE GONNA EAT YOU'RE DESERT AND YOU ARE GONNA LIKE IT) best line ever this is a 11/11.
Note: This is my 2nd favorite episode my favorite is in season 4

I quite like this one. The tone of the episode is very dark, but it manages to sneak jokes in there. And the jokes this episode does tell land bullseye.

Ranking so far:
1. Big Pink Loser (A+)
2. Dying For Pie (A)
3. Squid's Day Off (A)
4. Your Shoe's Untied (B)
5. Something Smells (B)
6. Bossy Boots (C)
7. Bubble Buddy (C)

FinnDinner

Semi-Postaholic
This episode is pretty, great, used to be my favorite of the Season, and it still is an amazing experience, I just don't find it as funny as I used to, maybe it's because I've seen it a lot, but I don't know.

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
Very good episode. The plot is brilliant and while there isn't much comedy, the heart this episode elevates it into top tier. My only real problem with this episode is that the montage sort of dragged on a little; I feel like it could be cut down a bit. Other than that, this episode is really sweet. The ending is also amazing too.

Great episode (9/10)

1. Dying For Pie (9)

2. Something Smells (9)
3. Big Pink Loser (9)
4. Squid's Day Off (8)
5. Bossy Boots (6)
6. Your Shoe's Untied (6)
7. Bubble Buddy (5)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
9/10

While it is a bit overrated, I do still like this episodes. It's pretty funny, it's plot is dark but really good, plus I really like the visuals. It's not the best episode like other people think, but it's still a great episode.

Big Pink Loser: (10/10)
Something Smells: (10/10)
Squids Day Off: (9.5/10)
Dying for Pie: (9/10)
Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)
Bossy Boots: (8.5/10)
Bubble Buddy: (4/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Out of of place but this is my 2nd favorite episode of season 2 the jokes are funny and the atmosphere is reaaaaaaaaaaally high!

Rating: Golden

Rankings:
Dying For Pie (Golden)
Big Pink Loser (Perfect)
Squid's Day Off (Tolerant)
Something Smells (Polite)
Bubble Buddy (Polite
Bossy Boots (Polite)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)

Last edited:

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Now here's an episode known to most as simply iconic. And I'm inclined to agree. It's one of the most well-known episodes of the show, for good reason. Now, spoiler alert, it's not my favorite of this season, not anywhere close, but it's a good, solid episode. So, let's talk about it!

"Dying For Pie" is yet again one of those episodes with two distinct sections. The episode starts off pretty well with Squidward's dream (with a nicely drawn background, if I do say so myself), leading to a hint for what the episode's plot might be (SpongeBob annoying Squidward in some capacity, plus the Krusty Krab being involved). As we transition over to the Krusty Krab portion of this section, we get a cool visual gag of SpongeBob's body cleaning the window of the restaurant as he follows Squidward with a goofy and endearing grin on his face. I think that's the best word to describe SpongeBob in this episode, endearing. The little guy is so adorable and earnest throughout the entire episode, he's really at his best here. And I can't decide if I like it better for SpongeBob to have been trolling with the sweater of tears thing or not.

Anyway, this episode has some really good visual gags, from the eyelashes to the aforementioned sweater of tears. Mr. Krabs is also great in this episode despite his limited appearance, especially once he and Squidward learn that the pie is a bomb. Which also, that's so delightfully random I love it. The fact that these pirates just had these pie bombs and were hauling them in their ship right outside of the Krusty Krab is just the right amount of absurd and unexplained nonsense that I love to see from this show. Truly, this episode knows the random assignment.

This episode also hits perfectly on the dramatic moments. To transition from the first section to the second section of the episode, we've got the amazingly dramatic stakes of SpongeBob blowing up in probably the first explosion that would mean anything in this show. But before we can get too into the dramatics, we see Squidward go a little insane in a hilarious gag, complete with Mr. Krabs' little "watch out for Squidward".

The second section of the episode is just cute and wholesome, with Squidward trying to give SpongeBob his best last day of life. The montage of Squidward and SpongeBob doing various activities is great, and the whole salmon suit thing being the anchor of the joke is just so funny to me. Like imagine someone walking around in a human suit. Too funny.

And then of course, we have the last bit of the episode, with the sunset watching. Once again the show strikes up a great balance of humor and drama, leaning more and more into the dramatics as the sun goes down until eventually Squidward legitimately starts crying. But then of course we get the humorous reveal that SpongeBob is alive, and is making bomb bubbles for no reason in another great example of absurdity and SpongeBob SquarePants' famous disdain for physics. I then get my Gary crumbs with the whole "Gary you are gonna eat your dessert" thing.

Lastly, we have an episode ending that I adore, with SpongeBob tripping and exploding the pie on Squidward's face. It's even funnier because of how much the explosion was played up throughout the episode, and they even use footage of a nuke for it, but nah, Squidward survives because of the humor of it all.

I truly have no qualms with this episode. It's a great character-driven episode, in terms of building up especially Squidward's character, and it's a masterful example of balancing drama and comedy. I had this episode in my "Great" tier before, though I'm not sure why. I find it to be pretty funny, even if not every joke makes me laugh out loud, and it just has really good and tight writing throughout. So, I think it's managed to breach my "Amazing" tier Even if I don't find it to be one of the greatest of all time, I can still recognize the brilliance of "Dying For Pie".

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

Back