249b. Insecurity Guards

coft

happy hopping moron
Just aired.

Plot: Squidward tries to put his art in a museum, while Patrick gives SpongeBob a tour of the museum.

This was meh as well

I didn't really like this one too much. I thought that it was too zany and the ending was dumb.

THE LIST:
1. The Krusty Slammer (A)
2. Stormy Weather (B)
3. Sandy's Nutty Nieces (B)
4. FarmerBob (B)
5. King Plankton (C)
6. The Nitwitting (C)
7. Insecurity Guards (C)
8. The Ballad of Filthy Muck (D)

ssj4gogita4

Squidward Tortellini
Staff
This episode definitely tries too hard, but I think my enjoyment of just getting to watch newer episodes these days really helps. Not awful.

The funniest moment for me was Squidward getting "pinned" as the seahorse in the painting.
Clever moment goes to the lady who goes through the clear "painting" window after SpongeBob and Patrick clean off the Mr. Krabs painting.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I did laugh a couple times, but it was a meh episode. 6.5/10

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode starts off kind of boring, but eventually this episode gets really fun, and there's a lot of hilarious jokes. I especially love how Patrick and SpongeBob think Squidward is stealing his own painting, even though he was trying to hang it up. It's comedy gold.

Great Episode (8.5/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Great!

Rating: Great Episode

Rankings:
The Krusty Bucket (Amazing)
Plankton's Old Chum (Superior)
Stormy Weather (Great)
The Krusty Slammer (Great)
Gary's Got Legs (Great)
Gary & Spot (Great)
Insecurity Guards (Great)
Sandy's Nutty Nieces (Good)
Squid's on a Bus (Good)
The Ballad of Filthy Muck (Good)
Swamp Mates (Good)
FarmerBob (Good)
Pineapple RV (Okay)
One Trick Sponge (Alright)
King Plankton (Bad)
The Nitwitting (Despicable)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we’ve got “Insecurity Guards”. This episode makes me think of “Hall Monitor” and “Call The Cops”. Not that this episode is particularly similar to either of those, but it seems I associate these episodes in my head. The reasoning is obvious of course. But the fact that this is all I have to say in this preamble should show that I don’t really have much about to say about this episode before rewatching it—it’s never one I’ve felt strongly about, or has made me think of anything I do feel strongly about.

By far the most shocking thing about this episode is that Patrick has a job. What happened to doing nothing better than everyone else Patrick? What happened to funemployment? Honestly, can no one stick to their morals? Smh.

One thing that’s great about this episode is that it’s a trio episode—SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward—that takes place not on Conch Street. I feel like the best episodes with the trio are the ones that don’t take place in their houses. Something about the different contexts just rejuvenates the dynamic, which makes sense to me. This episode has them all in the Bikini Bottom Museum of Everything, which is not only a neat locale, but also a place that expands the world of Bikini Bottom just a bit more, which is always a win in my books.

Despite this being a trio episode, SpongeBob & Patrick and then Squidward have different plots going on for quite a bit of it (though they do intersect a lot, even at the beginning of the episode). I’ll start with Squidward, since the episode starts with him. His whole deal is that he’s trying to get his art into the museum…illicitly, because the museum rejected it. I love how Squidward’s first kissing the feet of the museum, and then the second the curator says his painting is garbage, Squidward’s insulting the museum like no tomorrow. This scene is hilarious, especially the curator’s reaction. As for SpongeBob and Patrick, Patrick’s giving SpongeBob a tour of the museum since he’s the museum’s new security guard. I adore their little outfits in this episode, they’re so cute. The tour is basically the basis of the SpongeBob and Patrick’s plot, and I enjoy watching it because it gives us a lot of cool visuals. Like this is a really neat museum! This part is also enjoyable because it’s amusing and funny. Like watching Patrick go about doing his job is actually pretty fun, because he’s both good and bad at it, which is the perfect balance. And SpongeBob just being kinda bad is hilarious. The no flash photography running gag is just hilarious.

Turning our attention back to Squidward, we lose track of him for a while after the first interaction between the trio. During that interaction, Squidward realizes that if the musuem is being guarded by Patrick…he can probably break in and get his painting in there. Then we spend time with SpongeBob and Patrick for a while, which I’ve already talked about. So the next time we see Squidward, he’s trying to get his anti-thievery on. Which makes him have some encounters with the two doofuses a few more times. Eventually, SpongeBob and Patrick find Squidward “stealing” a painting, leading to some chasing. And eventually Squidward gets arrested, but it’s all worth it, because his painting ends up hanging in the museum. And the end with the painting smiling is actually pretty cute.

“Insecurity Guards” is just an episode full of shenanigans. It actually reminds me a lot of “Krusty Katering”, now that I think about it. There’s a lot of really clever jokes in this one, even if the entire episode isn’t always hilarious. It’s just a fun ride, I think. Like other episodes recently, this one feels shorter than it actually is. I don’t know what it is, but something about these episodes just make them feel like they’re missing something.

Episode Tier: Great
Episode Score:
8.9/10

Back