248b. Squid's on a Bus

CheeseCrocker

First half was ok, I could tolerate it but it wasn't very funny. Second half is really funny though, with many great gags, like the Grim Reaper.

Good Episode (7/10)

DolphinBrand

I give it a 6/10 because I feel like people other than Squidward would've been annoyed with SpongeBob and Patrick's antics.

FutureSponge

Bad episode. Another Squidward torture episode that has a good premise that was poorly executed. Like Professor Squidward, this episode should've gone the route (no pun intended) of having Squidward's own arrogance and cockiness cause him to fail, rather than having Spongebob and Patrick meaninglessly be in the episode just to annoy him.

Also, this episode is similar to Boat Smarts in the sense that Spongebob (and Patrick here) are extremely unlikable, causing injury to other passengers who are following the rules of the bus, and putting other drivers on the road in danger. This episode would've worked better if it went more along the lines of how it did in the beginning, before Spongebob got on the bus. Squidward realizing that controlling the bus is a lot more difficult than he believed, being overly strict with the rules on the bus causing passengers to turn against him, finding the map difficult to explore, etc.

For example, instead of having Spongebob and Patrick's carelessness and stupidity land Squidward in the Crush County, it could've been Squidward ignoring the map because he finds it too difficult to read, and ignoring other passengers' directions, believing he knew the area better than them, and ending up there after taking a wrong turn.

Also, this episode also fails for not showing both sides of the conflict. Yes, at the end we got to see the bus driver struggling with working Squidward's job, but it was only for maybe half a minute of the episode. If there was a back and forth to see both of their increasing cockiness and misconceptions progressively cause more and more failure in what they thought were easy jobs for each other, and in the end they both realized that they should have more respect for one another's careers, then this episode would've been a lot better. Because in the beginning of the episode, when Mr. Krabs mentioned that the two get into it every morning, it sets up for a really interesting rivalry that could've been fleshed out and been really interesting.

Even in the end having some kind of conclusion from the bus driver saying something like, "oh my god, you had to deal with those two?", just signifying that Spongebob and Patrick are a nuisance that he has to deal with at his job too, and then maybe the two of them bonding over that common hatred of them, and getting back at Spongebob and Patrick could've helped the ending somewhat. But nope, the driver just quits and that's... it. There's no payoff in the end, which makes this episode feel entirely pointless. Also, who was the fry cook supposed to be if Spongebob was on the bus all day??? This episode has a lot of problems.

The one good thing I can say about it is the design and overall location of Crush County was really unique and creative. I'd like it be explored more in future episodes.

Final rating: 4/10.

Octavionknox888

Not only the beginning of the episode feels rushed, this episode is extremely bland. The only parts that I liked was the animation and the skeleton bit.
47/100 Mediocre