241b. The String

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Synopsis: SpongeBob pulls from Squidward's shirt a loose string that never seems to end.

Discuss this episode when it airs.

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
EB The Original Master said:
Good episode. Only problem was the Squidward naked gag whenever SpongeBob pulled on the string.
The nudity in general made me uncomfortable, how did the female fish slip pass the censors.

darkrage6

Floating Shopping List
Interesting, it's been a while since we've had a shorter Reef Blower-style episode(i'm one of those people that actually liked the three-episodes format in season 5)

Original Raw and Uncut said:
The nudity in general made me uncomfortable, how did the female fish slip pass the censors.
It is kind of weird that Squidward normally does not wear pants anyways yet feels the need to cover himself after losing his shirt in episodes like this and Squid's Day Off.

This episode relies on the same joke over and over again. It's boring but it's not bad.

THE LIST:
1. Bottle Burglars (A+)
2. The Legend Of Boo-Kini Bottom (A+)
3. Karen's Virus (A)
4. Teacher's Pests (A)
5. My Leg! (A)
6. Squid Noir (A)
7. Scavenger Pants (A)
8. Chatterbox Gary (A)
9. Appointment TV (A)
10. Call the Cops (A)
11. Man Ray Returns (B)
12. Doodle Dimension (B)
13. Spin The Bottle (B)
14. Larry The Floor Manager (B)
15. Drive Happy (B)
16. Sanitation Insanity (B)
17. Moving Bubble Bass (B)
18. Krusty Kleaners (B)
19. Stuck On The Roof (B)
20. High Sea Diving (B)
21. ChefBob (B)
22. Goons on the Moon (B)
23. There's A Sponge In My Soup (B)
24. The Grill is Gone (B)
25. Whale Watching (B)
26. Plankton Paranoia (B)
27. Patnocchio (B)
28. Surf N' Turf (B)
29. Spot Returns (B)
30. Girls' Night Out (B)
31. Shopping List (B)
32. The Night Patty (B)
33. Mustard O'Mine (C)
34. Pat the Horse (C)
35. Cave Dwelling Sponge (C)
36. Bubbletown (C)
37. The Clam Whisperer (C)
38. Library Cards (C)
39. The String (C)
40. No Pictures, Please (C)
41. Cuddle E. Hugs (C)
42. Old Man Patrick (C)
43. Squirrel Jelly (C)
44. Grandmum's the Word (C)
45. Don't Feed the Clowns (C)
46. Krabby Patty Creature Feature (C)
47. The Check-Up (D)
48. Bunny Hunt (D)
49. Fun-Sized Friends (D)
50. Ink Lemonade (F-)

The Tough Sponge Man

Floating Shopping List
Honestly, I found this episode really uncomfortable to watch. Seeing Spongebob essentially drown Sandy, kill a fisherman and destroy the universe just, doesn't sit right with me. I get that this is Spongebob, and that there's little if any continuity, and the show is meant to be nonsensical, but still, this just feels a bit to far.

3 never ending strings out of 10

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Closing out season 11, we’ve got “The String”, which is a shorter episode given that its sister episode is 16 minutes long. Well, you won’t see me complaining…do you know how hard it is to review 49 segments in one month? And a 30-day month at that, not a 31-day month. But I did it! Anyway, “The String” is a fun little episode with a very, very simple plot. Which is the right direction for this episode to go in, again because of the shorter length.

Honestly, with such a simple plot, I’m not sure how to go about reviewing this episode LMAO. I guess I’ll just try and say everything I can about it. And the first thing I’ll say is that this episode is very, very full of visual gags. And they’re pretty good, generally speaking. And I like that the episode doesn’t spend the entire time on the string. I mean first we got the set up, the amusing bit with SpongeBob’s eyes, and then we got SpongeBob trying again and again to pull the loose thread in Squidward’s shirt, with Squidward being onto him. And then there’s other shenanigans throughout the episode, like Mr. Krabs trying to trick the rich dude into thinking that the “hair” in his soup is something valuable. Or Bubble Bass and those sea monkeys.

SpongeBob is so me, seeing a loose thread and immediately wanting to pull it. Squidward surprisingly lets him do it, so that SpongeBob will leave him alone. Famous last words for the guy, because when SpongeBob finally does get that coveted chance to pull it, he ends up pulling Squidward’s entire shirt apart. And then this is when the episode gets properly silly. As SpongeBob starts pulling the thread from everywhere. This is where we get a lot of fun visuals too, both string-related, like the money, and not-string-related, like Squidward walking away with the boat. Oh and Mr. Krabs for sure deserved that after doing Pearl like that LMAO.

Things continue getting sillier and sillier as SpongeBob starts pulling the thread on vehicles, signs, sidewalks, and more. He even tears off Sandy’s tail, and pops the treedome. And he keeps unraveling Squidward’s clothes. And then the episode goes full ridiculous and has SpongeBob unravel Bikini Bottom, the world, and the universe. And that, my friends, is why SpongeBob can beat Goku.

“The String” is just a silly little episode, there really isn’t anything else to say. It includes a variety of characters (including Patrick at the end, who unravels SpongeBob), and it’s a pretty funny episode. I can’t even say that it’s only “bad” point is that it’s short, because I think this episode works so well because it’s short. It would’ve had too much padding had it been longer. What a great way to end this season! It’s rare that a season gets to end on such a highly-rated episode (last time this happened was season 8).

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.3/10

Note: And that is it for season 11! 49 segments…I’ll hardly miss ya. But don’t worry, I’ll be right back on that with season 12 LMAO. Like usual, the overview will go up tomorrow, and I’ll start season 12 on Sunday.

Back