236a. Call the Cops

Tyler730

Part Computer or Something
I do remember that. Check the gallery on the SB wiki.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Call the Cops” is simply one of those silly episodes we expect to see out of this show. And it has the added bonus of giving us quite the cast of characters, from the cops to some of the criminals.

We jump right in with this episode, bearing witness to another attempt by Plankton to steal the formula, framed by Squidward’s utter lack of care. Me too Squidward, me too (in terms of not caring about things above my paygrade; I like the scene!). I also like how unbothered the customers are by this too. The episode also wastes no time in getting the plot moving, as Plankton gets arrested not even a minute into the thing. And dang, that cop lady is saying some real truths about the way cops operate. Oh come on, the soapbox was ripe for the taking!

So, Plankton’s off to jail. The problem? The Krabby Patty Formula is being taken in as evidence. Oh, so now we’re going to go with some proper protocols? Only took 11 seasons haha. I also like how this episode basically confirms that “Friend Or Foe” happened in continuity, because why else would Krabby Patties taste like chum if they did not have just a little bit of chum contained within? Anyway, SpongeBob’s dramatics here are, as always, fun to witness.

Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob decide to infiltrate the police department to get the formula back. Mr. Krabs’ cop uniform is innately hilarious to me, I love how detailed the paintings are in this segment. Exactly the type of master artwork I’ve come to expect from this show. And I love the wordplay (if that’s what we’re calling it, idk how else to describe it) in this segment too. We cut to Plankton taking a mugshot, which has been a reaction video I’ve been seeing quite a lot of as of late. Plankton gets quite a lot of mistreatment in the jail, which is both hilarious, but also something that makes me sad because yes I am fun at parties. We then get the surprise entrance of Patrick, who’s ice cream drunk (love the continuity from the first movie) and in for the night. So, Plankton gets the short end of that stick.

Back to Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob, y’all know I love seeing these two together. Y’all know this. It’s my quasi-father-son crumbs, as I always say. The hand-holding moment, followed by the hug, legitimately made me coo in cuteness like y’all have no idea. They did this for me! Except for the part where Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob are cops, because ACAB. But the crumbs, that’s for me! The entire scene where SpongeBob arrests the little girl is hilarious, which me typing that sounds so wrong haha. Really, SpongeBob is just great in this one. His whole “classified” schtick is funny to me. And then the interrogation scene between him and Helen the Felon is gold.

You know, Patrick and Plankton in this episode have a 100% better dynamic than Patrick and Plankton in “Patnocchio”. Maybe I judged the potential of their dynamic too harshly in that review. Maybe it works better when Patrick knows who Plankton is, and when the plot isn’t directly related to the Krusty Krab. Plankton’s disdain, but not like actively hostile disdain, more like a Squidward-level of disdain, for Patrick is just funny to me. I also love the insight we get from Plankton that the jail is his only customer for chum. Plankton’s easy manipulation of Patrick is something that I’d expect to be a staple of their dynamic. Plankton knowing Patrick’s name at the end was something that stuck out to me, because I feel like we very rarely see Plankton utter the names of anyone other than Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob, and Karen.

Doesn’t take long for the episode to get straight into chaos as the various agents of the episode come together trying to get the formula. Plankton and Mr. Krabs get into a fight, hurling pieces of evidence at each other. And Patrick’s just there for extra chaos, thinking that Mr. Krabs’ eyes are ice cream. The chaos ends with everybody being arrested, which is honestly an episode I’d watch on its own (characters being stuck in jail together…especially Mr. Krabs and Plankton).

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.4/10

Back