234b. ChefBob

Chris

Floridian
SuperFan2024 said:
This episode was pretty great in my opinion! Dialogue was very good, and so was the animation! I've missed a lot of recent Spongebob eps, so i'm catching up currently. Hope to see more eps like this!

I know right! The animation was so nice and fluid! I love that Spongebob's animation quality has improved considerably since season 9B and especially season 10. It's pretty cool.

Once again, TV ratings are steadily declining all over America. You shouldn't take these ratings into consideration at this point, because fewer people are watching TV live nowadays (mostly except for news, events, sports, and etc). Spongebob and The Loud House are still Nick's best money making series'. They're doing fine for right now.
I watched this episode on Demand because I was at work when it aired.

D00d13B0bF1atpants

Floating Shopping List
It's such a Shame that SUCH a Good Episode of Spongebob had the Misfortune of being the series' Lowest Rated Episode of All Time. . .

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“ChefBob” saw my love of TrollBob and said “let’s do it”. Actually nah, it saw “Squid Wood” and decided “it’s go-time”. Y’all feel me? Okay let me get serious. As you can see the semester is rotting my brain. “ChefBob” is an episode that I’ve always liked, because I love a good roast sesh.

We begin with customers watching SpongeBob cook, which I’m surprised that they’re allowed to do that. I guess this is one of those episodes where the Krabby Patty formula describes the actual patty and its substance, not all the toppings and whatnot. Anywho, this set up is giving “As Seen on TV” mixed with “The Krusty Sponge” mixed with “SpongeBob’s Place” with a nice side of “The Play’s The Thing”. I like it well enough.

Mr. Krabs knows an opportunity to get some cash when he sees it, so he decides to make SpongeBob a hibachi chef LMAO. But this also makes SpongeBob incredibly nervous. I love how SpongeBob gets a “dressing room”, it’s cute. And Mr. Krabs’ attempts at getting SpongeBob to come out are hilarious. Clancy Brown proves to be a perfect Mr. Krabs for about the…uh…how many episodes with Mr. Krabs have we seen now? Being incredibly nervous, SpongeBob starts making patties horribly wrong. It reminds me of “Pickles”, now that I’m thinking about it. We also get a my leg gag that is proof of what I said earlier about the my leg gags being fundamentally changed after “My Leg!”. To deal with his nerves, SpongeBob makes a little puppet version of himself, who proves to be a delightful and funny little guy, a hit with the crowd.

But soon, ChefBob isn’t just dazzling the crowd with his cooking skills. Nah, he’s dazzling them with his supreme roasting material! Like, ChefBob can give Plankton in “20,000 Patties Under The Sea” a run for his money. Well, first he’s stealing Squidward’s quips, which is quite rude I must say. Just like “Squid Wood”, SpongeBob finds that he’s not quite in control of the puppet…the puppet who’s now starting to get a complex. As he should though, he is the star of the show after all. ChefBob bullying Mr. Krabs legitimately made me laugh, because firstly it’s funny, and secondly I don’t think we’ve ever seen anything quite like that before. And I mostly mean in Mr. Krabs’ reaction.

How they managed to make this literal puppet the funniest character of the episode, I have no idea. I’m choosing to think they got some influence from Rex on Victorious (even though now that I’m older, I have…comments…about him). Anyway, when Squidward confronts ChefBob, he of course acts like he’s gonna give Squidward credit, but then he roasts him like no tomorrow. And that’s the last straw for SpongeBob (especially after ChefBob truly violates him, like dang that was some real adult humor right there). So fun fact, but this episode is the episode I associate with the track Porous Pursuit. Like whenever I think of that track, I think of “ChefBob”. And I mean, the use here is masterful, so makes sense. SpongeBob and ChefBob start fighting, though ChefBob really kicks SpongeBob’s butt for a while there. The end of the fight though, that’s probably the second more “adult” part of the episode…quite dark, the demise of ChefBob here. But also hilarious.

After all of the customers leave in disgust, Mr. Krabs decides it’s time to finish things. He pulls out a hilarious looking Mr. Krabs puppet, and fires ChefBob. And puppet Squidward kicks him out, where he gets swept up by a street sweeper. And then we get an everybody laughs ending and that’s the end of that…right? Nope, we actually get an epilogue/coda (though sadly it is not marked as such like in “No Hat For Pat”), where ChefBob has somehow gotten a TV show. Fun ending!

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.3/10

Back