232a. Mustard O' Mine

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Mustard O’ Mine” is probably one of my most rewatched episodes of season 11, and of the post-second movie era. It’s simply one of those classic episodes that is enjoyable in a variety of contexts. And so I’m excited to finally get to reviewing it! Before I even get started, I’ve gotta say that I love the title card music for this episode. That is all. Okay, let’s begin!

I gotta say, this episode makes me happier than ever that I don’t like mustard, because imagine having to wait in line to get mustard on your sandwich. Yeah, this is one of those episodes where the Krusty Krab has some very unconventional business practices, this line for mustard thing being included. Also included is the fact that to get condiments, SpongeBob and co. have to literally mine them, but we’ll get to that in a minute lol. Squidward proves to be me-core yet again when he’s filing his nails proclaiming his lack of care for mustard. When SpongeBob runs out of mustard, Mr. Krabs orders him and Squidward to go down to the Mustard Mines and get more mustard. Patrick’s also forced to go too because he pulled a “Back to the Past” and ate a lot of mustard on his own. I really love how the episode comes up with this crazy idea and takes it completely seriously. That’s the kind of wacky nonsense I like to see from this show!

Speaking of random happenings, some old miner guy comes out of the shadows and tries to warn the Krew against going down in the mines, citing random curses that make no sense. I love how literally none of the Krew is phased and how they keep poking holes in his explanation. That is literally my kind of humor. Like if you took me in real life and put me in the show, that would be me to a T. I’ve got that dry, flat (Au)DHD humor. Y’all know how it is.

The Krew enter the mine, and as you might expect, SpongeBob and Patrick immediately do something to block their exit, which makes Patrick start to freak out. That’s not the character I expected to freak out, so that was a nice little surprise. I would’ve thought it was Squidward. And, Squidward immediately goes to resuscitate Patrick after he passes out, which was a nice touch. A complete change in dynamics from the previous episode. And I prefer dynamics like this, with Squidward having disdain for the two but still caring for their well-being, even if I also like complete haterism on the part of Squidward.

SpongeBob and co. start mining, and they find all kinds of neat stuff, like gold and diamonds, which is of course not what they’re looking for (but I’ll take ‘em!). SpongeBob in this part of the episode is just so precious, from his “the greatest treasure of all, a child” line to his phone call to Mr. Krabs (the “love you”?! Oh my quasi-father-son crumbs, we are SO BACK!). Squidward comes across a subway station that somehow SpongeBob and Patrick on, and we get a pretty anxiety-inducing (in a good way) scene of him trying to get on the train. One small thing I love about this scene is how they have Patrick try and give that smug-type delivery he gives (you know, the one that really got popular in seasons 6 and 7, but probably originated in “Dumped”) and Squidward hisses at him like a cat. Is this the first time someone’s managed to actually get Patrick to stfu when he’s like this? Oh praise be finally, this kind of joke was done correctly!

Finally, the Krew starts mining condiment, and eventually they find mustard. The old miner reappears and again tries to discourage everyone from getting the mustard because it’s sitting on top of a bunch of pressure. But where SpongeBob laments, Squidward ain’t having it. And then we get a fight, which I wasn’t expecting, where Squidward gets his butt handed to him. So Patrick saves the day…kind of. But you know what this means…chaos ending time! Mr. Krabs calls back asking for the mustard, right in time because the mustard geyser’s about to blow. Too bad they couldn’t get any relish though.

I really love the jokes in this episode. There’s the ones I’ve already mentioned, and then there’s so many great gags after the Krew enters the mine. Like when SpongeBob falls down the mineshaft and ends up reappearing right next to the other two, that was great. I also really liked all the “miner” jokes, I love puns. My favorite jokes had to be the ones where people would freak out around the escalator before calmly getting on.

I really like “Mustard O’ Mine”. It’s just a really solid episode that’s hilarious and great on all fronts. There’s really nothing bad I can say about it. Watching this episode, I feel like the best trio episodes (by trio I mean SpongeBob-Patrick-Squidward) come from when they’re doing something for the Krusty Krab LMAO. Maybe it’s the ghost of Mr. Krabs’ character that keeps things balanced and funnier. Who knows.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.6/10

Back