231b. Ink Lemonade

CJO5050

Floating Shopping List
Thankfully, Ink Lemonade was just a temporary downturn for Kaz. He has written strong episodes since, like "Mustard O'Mine", "Goons on the Moon", and especially "Karen's Virus".

CJO5050

Floating Shopping List
Coffee_lover said:
Man,do I miss the days when we bashing this episode 24/7.
Honestly, I'd rather watch "Ink Lemonade" over something like "SpongeBob, You're Fired". At least the former is an original story and has a few legit good scenes, not a god awful rehash of a dozen far better episodes like the latter.

D00d13B0bF1atpants

Floating Shopping List
I HATED THis Episode; It was like a Return to the Dark Age of Spongebob; Seasons 6-8;

It's a Bad Patrick's a Pr*ck Episode and a Bad Squidward Torture ::dolphin noise:: at the same time;

Basically; Patrick's a Pr*ck BECAUSE he's torturing Squidward; Using his as his Cattle to Milk him for his Ink by Scaring the Ink out of his nose

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Speaking of this episode, an irony occurred in my TV. Both this and The Splinter aired together in Nickelodeon Philippines. When Ink Lemonade aired, I was fine with the episode but my little sister is arachnophobic. When it ended, The Splinter aired next and both my sis and I panicked. Thank God I ignored it using my headphones. Personally, The Splinter is more disgusting than Ink Lemonade.

hastaluego

Floating Shopping List
Am I the only person who sort of liked this episode? There's a good number of episodes I like less than Ink Lemonade just in Season 11 (Fun Sized Friends, High Sea Diving, Krusty Kleaners, Larry the Floor Manager, Stuck on the Roof, Mustard O' Mine, and Surf N' Turf to name some I can remember)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I liked this episode I guess? The ending sucked, but there were quite a few funny moments, and the haunted house scene was amazing.

Good Episode (7/10)

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
This very well could be the worst one of the entire show. Compare it to Bubblestand (similar setting, concept, characters). Look how obnoxious Sponge and Pat became. In Bubblestand, it's so calm, quiet, and Sponge and Pat barely annoy Squid at all. And now... in this episode. They literally scream in a megaphone every line. There's legitimate torture. Disgusting visual gore. It's horrible and I regret watching it. Bottom 5 episode ever for me and I mean it

Combusto82

Does this look unsure to you?
if Hillenburg still alive to see this episode then he will say this-

What Exactly Have GIF - WhatExactly Have You GIFs

then i give this worst episode a 1/10

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
I think this episode is alright. The premise is interesting. I think it's also interesting how the ink came out of Squidward's nose like a nosebleed instead of his tentacles like you would expect. I felt like the premise alone sort of carried the entire episode though, if that makes sense? I felt like there wasn't that much else to the episode than the premise. The haunted house sequence is pretty cool. The animation is also kinda fun and different in this episode. Unlike a lot of fans, I didn't really mind Patrick's morality in this episode. It didn't really bother me for some reason. The megaphone jokes kinda annoyed me though. I think the episode may be a little too gross too. Overall, not a great episode for me, but not too bad either.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Edit before I even get started (since I pre-write reviews): 15 pages of discussion y’all? Seriously?

Fresh off the heels of a pretty famous episode, we’ve got a pretty infamous one in “Ink Lemonade”. Like…most infamous episode since “SpongeBob You’re Fired”. Like…the kind of infamy you’d expect to see in a season 7 episode. Now, I’ma say it right now. I think all of this **** was blown way out of proportion. I always thought this. Especially the people calling this a “Squidward Torture Episode”. See, I’ve said before that I’ve always found that term dumb. And seeing it applied to this episode again shows me how dumb it is. Like…no sh** it’s a “Squidward torture episode”, it’s called slapstick and Squidward is a butt-monkey. This is how the show has always operated. And yes, there are times where he deserves it more, but that only sometimes matters LMAO. I just think it’s a lot of people getting to moralizing about a show about a talking sponge. Like I get it, I moralize every now and then, that’s why I have soapbox segments, but come on y’all, let’s get a grip.

This episode has a very similar set up to “Bubblestand”, now that I think about it, and it’s a very simple episode. It starts off with Patrick manning a lemonade stand, trying to get some customers. Squidward comes by while taking out the trash and we get a…sequence between them. I don’t know how to describe it LMAO. Just Patrick drinks his “lemonade” in a variety of questionable ways. It’s entertaining. And then Squidward kind of stupidly asks what Patrick is doing. I don’t know why Squidward is so irritated at this point of the episode, but I’m gonna go along with it. I guess he does say that he hates Patrick, so that’s probably why. I wonder if Squidward being such a tier-one hater in this episode is the reasoning behind him getting the “torture” later. Not that I even need to see any kind of reasoning, but you know, whatevs.

Squidward gives Patrick a nasty lemon for his lemonade, which is nasty, and it’s at this point that I realize why I’m not quite connecting with this part of the episode—it’s slow! It’s so slow. And everything feels stilted. It feels like we’re back in season 6, which is literally crazy because this is season eleven. Anywho, even after Squidward goes back inside, he’s not unaffected by Patrick’s attempts to sell lemonade. He gets startled by Patrick’s yelling, causing him to have an incident with his nose hair trimmers. Which first off, I would never put an electric razor in my nose, but okay. And after Patrick gives someone some of the nasty lemonade from Squidward’s lemon, he tells the guy to go puke in Squidward’s house. Now that’s what I call justice.

SpongeBob enters the scene, scaring Squidward to pieces, which causes him to splurt out ink from his nose. And then…people start drinking it. Okay, so considering that ink has been equated to pee or farts in this show…that’s nasty. In this episode, it’s equated to snot. That’s nasty. That is one thing about this episode, it really commits to being nasty all the way through. I don’t know exactly why that is, but I can respect the commitment. And it’s different than an episode like “The Splinter”, because it’s not gross-ups or anything. It’s just so many plot points are nasty. Very interesting.

People like the ink lemonade…somehow, so Patrick decides he’s gotta get more ink from Squidward. Oh, so this is “Jellyfish Hunter” all over again, isn’t it? Actually no, but I wanted to make the comparison. Anywho, Squidward refuses to make more ink, so Patrick comes up with a plot (in a rare moment of lucidity) to get him scared to get more ink. I don’t really mind this plot, I think at times it’s pretty funny. The main problem to me is that Squidward’s reaction, namely the ink part, is uncomfortable to me, because it looks like the process is…not comfortable. And that’s always been my line, in any kind of humor, particularly slapstick. If I start to feel what the character’s feeling, then it won’t work. So Squidward screaming and being chopped into pieces or something, that’s fine because obviously it’s exaggerated. But Squidward screaming and lowkey spurting blood or something? That’s a little too visceral, you know what I mean? But anyway, it is really funny how much effort Patrick’s gone through to get Squidward scared. And the Krusty Krab scene is hilarious.

Squidward finds out that Patrick’s been selling his ink, and he doesn’t freak out nearly as much as I expected. In fact, he decides to try and capitalize on it himself, as he should. And of course, it doesn’t work out for him, because he’s all inked out. This part is a little hard to watch, because after all Squidward goes through in the episode, he can’t even get this win. And also because it makes me think of real life things which I don’t want to think about. Squidward gets scared again, and inks on everyone, and then I guess everyone chooses that moment to get their heads out of their *** as they’re disgusted that the ink is what they’ve been drinking. To that I say that the townspeople are actually idiots. Like…beyond idiots. Anywho, SpongeBob and Patrick return with some homemade cookies for Squidward. But of course, things can’t end so nicely. Nah, the cookies are made with spider eggs, which is definitely way outta pocket because ew ew ew ew ew.

Another thing I’ve been noticing throughout this episode is the animation. There’s something…different about it here. It’s very smooth and fluid as has been the norm of season 11, but there’s a lot more big expressions here, I think. Perhaps this is the beginning of that complaint, which is another one that annoys me. I also think the art style is a little different.

I feel like “Ink Lemonade” is made to be an outrageous episode. I mean, we’ve got exaggerated expressions, a very simple plot, and lots and lots of nastiness and visceral things. And I think that’s the point. Doesn’t mean I have to like some of these things, namely the visceral stuff, but I really do think that’s the point. I’m not sure to what end the episode does this though, because it’s not all necessarily funny, and in some places I don’t even see where the humor would be. But I also don’t hate this episode, not one bit. It’s way over-hated in my opinion. It’s just a little different, and mean to Squidward, even more than usual. But it’s not a torture episode or anything preposterous like that. It’s a fictional cartoon, let’s all be calm.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.7/10

SpongebobMaster

Dollarbob enjoyer
Rewatching this episode its definetly super boring i mean i have seen this been done in Fop but much better its just kind of boring

Back