231b. Ink Lemonade

BobCarotte

meep

is this actually "time of the month" with a different title? :sbfunny:

Seriously though, discuss this episode here. I think this episode will be about Mr Krabs discovering that Squidward's ink is drinkable so he adds it to the menu. It would be interesting.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
It was repetitive with bits like the megaphones continuing the trend this week after My Leg being shouted yesterday, Patrick continued to be awful, and this rivals One Coarse Meal in terms of "let's spend the entire episode scaring another character when it isn't funny at all". I should not be getting One Coarse Meal vibes from the newer episodes. This was an utter trainwreck and is easily in my bottom 25.

Uncle Sherm

Bomb-Selling Pirate
....animation was great, I'll give it that.

Otherwise this was downright disturbing. You guys thought One Coarse Meal was bad....this might be worse.
Patrick in particular is awful in this episode, psychologically torturing Squidward just to get his ink. The jokes boil down to "PATRICK IS DUMB" and "FUNNY FACE EXPRESSION", which makes for a really unpleasant experience on top of the creepy plot.
If yesterday was one of the best of the series, this is certainly one of the worst. And up to this point, I've enjoyed pretty much all of the new episodes.

hippythehippo

Banished
Lmao at people comparing this to One Course Meal. People did the same thing with Out of the Picture, even though they are nowhere near close.

However, I can't make heads or tails of this episode. It feels like Pat the Horse (an episode I already dislike) on steroids.

I can't give the episode a score, it's just too...weird. I need to rewatch to gage my thoughts.

This season has been an acid trip of insanity (this, Cuddle E Hugs, Theres a Sponge in My Soup, Pat the Horse, and Bunny Hunt are the some of the strangest episodes of the series.)

Ready for the memes and copypastas

Edit: I saw it again, and I feel like it is reminiscent of Pat the Horse, nothing was funny, and Squid torture rivals Bunny Hunt levels of infuriating. Still lmao at people calling it one of the worst. I can agree that it is poor, but explain how this is worse than something like Smoothe Jazz or Squid Baby. I also like how Bunny Hunt gets a free pass because of a meme, when it does everything this does, but worse.

Edit: I'd score it 3/10 Hoping Kaz pulls himself together for tomorrows episode. I just think that Kaz can't write Patrick.

RDSP

Banished
EDIT: I rewatched this episode and... oh boy, is it bad. There's nothing good I can say about this one. I can't give it anything other than a 2/10; it's a HORRIBLE episode. First one after the 2nd movie, too. I'm a bit afraid of how tomorrow's episode will turn out.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
hippythehippo said:
I also like how Bunny Hunt gets a free pass because of a meme, when it does everything this does, but worse.
Meme aside. Bunny Hunt was cartoony slapstick. Seeing Patrick scare the heck out of Squidward, locking him up, is just kind of disturbing and unpleasant to watch. I don't think it's as bad as OCM but it's still really unenjoyable. I wanted to meme this one but I think this might be too bad to be memed.

Also the bunny was an animal just trying to get food, Patrick was consciously mentally tormenting Squidward.

President Squidward said:
Let's all shed a tear for Karl Hadrika having to be involved in this episode. :(
:cry:

hippythehippo

Banished
Honest Slug said:
Meme aside. Bunny Hunt was cartoony slapstick. Seeing Patrick scare the heck out of Squidward, locking him up, is just kind of disturbing and unpleasant to watch. I don't think it's as bad as OCM but it's still really unenjoyable. I wanted to meme this one but I think this might be too bad to be memed.

Also the bunny was an animal just trying to get food, Patrick was consciously mentally tormenting Squidward.

:cry:
Slapstick or not, Squid's treatment in that episode is similar to here, if not worse. His house gets destroyed, garden is ravaged, and he goes insane.

Patrick was bad here, but he has more of a point here than Smoothe Jazz. I can't see this as one of the worst when most of 6-8 can do worse. I can go to a list of Spongebob epps in Season 6 on Wikipedia, and have more than enough material to prove that this isn't one of the worst.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Alright, jokes aside, time to post my thoughts on this episode.

It was bad. That's right. I'm finally saying this about a season 11 episode. This. Episode. Was. Bad. I don't think I've ever disliked a SpongeBob episode this much in a long time. It's such a shame too because I've loved how innovative and unique the season has been compared to other seasons. There has been a few fairly weak ones like Fun-Sized Friends and Stuck on the Roof, but this right here broke the streak. I was even interested in this episode when the title was revealed only for it to turn out that the title alone was a red flag as to what this was going to be about. It literally left me kind of despondent once it was over. Now, I probably would've given it at least a 6/10 if it was executed better, even if it did involve everyone drinking Squidward's essence, because I've tolerated such things from this show lately. But enough rambling. Let's get into the actual episode.

This episode has some positives. I honestly thought some of the facial expressions were too hilarious to not laugh at, and the casual exchange between Patrick and Squidward at the beginning was nice, and I did like some of the visuals and variations on the running gag, and that's about it, which isn't a good sign. Now on to the problems. Again, I personally don't mind the concept of Bikini Bottomites drinking ink as a beverage since it's expected. A majority of the episode lacks any sort of substance and basically boils down to Patrick scaring Squidward and making him shoot ink out of his nose, which is supposed to look cartoony and funny, but I didn't find any of it funny this time around. It just looked unsettling. My biggest gripe with this episode is Patrick. He's awful in this episode and has practically hit a new low in his list of unlikable appearances. He's definitely not Yours, Mine and Mine levels of bad here, but he's still out-of-character in this episode. The fact that he's actively going out of his way to scare Squidward and take advantage of his ability to ink was just uncomfortable to sit through. I know Patrick is dumb and doesn't know any better, but that doesn't excuse his actions here. Now, I wouldn't exactly compare him to Mr. Krabs in One Coarse Meal like some people do, but this is still easily one of his worst performances. It beats seeing him being a huge jerk, but it's worse than him being stupid and ruining everything. Also, I didn't like the ending, either. I already knew there was going to be a poor attempt at a "comedy ending" when SpongeBob and Patrick gave Squidward those cookies with spiders eggs. This is my new least favorite episode of season 11, and it's definitely Bottom 20 material for me, which is quite a shocker since I usually like episodes from this season. It probably would have been better off as a short rather than 11-minutes.

My overall rating for this episode is a 2/10. I really hope the remainder of this season will be way better than this.

More

VIP
I was really confused at the immediate negative reaction for this episode. When High Sea Diving aired a month ago and still hasn't reached 1000 views on its discussion topic, this took me completely off guard. So I watched "Ink Lemonade"...

Jesus Christ I need a day to process how colossally this ink stained. This was abhorrent.

Back