230a. High Sea Diving

Zimmy11

Use your imagination...

"SpongeBob wants to be the first sponge that dives to the surface of ocean"
Seems like an interesting plot, I wonder if a few of his family members will appear or at least get mentioned.

The episode comes out on 6th April 2018

LMAO nobody posted their thoughts on the new episode yet. It's crazy.

I haven't seen it yet but I thought some of you folks would see the episode. :P

poplove

Floating Shopping List
I liked it. It wasn’t quite as good as I thought it would be, but it was still enjoyable and different. I’d say it was 8/10

Coffee_lover

Banished
The beginning of the episode is a bit longer that it needs to be(Especially Mr. Krabs scene),but after it everything became pretty solid.The story is interesting and creative and jokes are decent.Also it’s a vary good that episode having a lot of trash,but does not make it really gross and nasty

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
I actually really liked this episode. The only thing that annoyed me was Mr. Krabs at the beginning, but it was just a minor annoyance. I love the plot of this episode and it was executed really well IMO. The jokes all felt like something you'd get from a classic episode. I actually got some Christmas Who vibes from this when people started mistaking the random objects for gifts (and Patrick wishing for another balloon like he wished for another piece of paper, though it was pretty dang funny here). But everything still felt fresh and new enough for me to enjoy it all the way through, and the Bikini Bottomites were funny here. I think if they cut out the Mr. Krabs scene or kept it as more of a small/background gag, I would've liked the beginning more, but it did make for a decent ending gag. Also, Old Man Jenkins returns! Overall, pretty good episode.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Pretty good and unique episode, with classic feel in more slowed-down pacing and non-reliance on wacky expressions.
Not much to say, just well executed episode.
8/10.

Reactions: Reg

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Vuvuzela Smasher said:
I was hoping they'd address the fact that there are so many different versions of Old Man Jenkins
Or perhaps they didn't want to get in conflict with Nick, who for NOW doesn't really approve of such fourth-wall jokes in their shows.

This was Kaz's best work in a while. I really enjoyed the concept of trash island and barely it felt too zany out of place. Old Man Jenkins pretending to be King Neptune was the highlight, as well as other gags like Bikini Bottomies thinking Neptune give them gifts from the sky and the actual King Neptune's appearence. It was sweet to see Bikini Bottomies considering SpongeBob to be their hero and the ending for SpongeBob was both funny and satisfying enough. I don't have much complaint to say about this one. It's not that amazing but it was solid from the beginning to the end.

Grade: B+

Zimmy11 said:
"SpongeBob wants to be the first sponge that dives to the surface of ocean"
Seems like an interesting plot, I wonder if a few of his family members will appear or at least get mentioned.

The episode comes out on 6th April 2018
It had a solid plot! Probably like it better than Bunny Hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
RomNick said:
Or perhaps they didn't want to get in conflict with Nick, who for NOW doesn't really approve of such fourth-wall jokes in their shows.
Why do you always have an excuse? This one doesn't even make sense.

Believe it or not some people don't have to agree with every decision the show makes.

RDSP

Banished
I liked this episode a bit. I didn't mind Mr. Krabs here and I found Patrick to be kind of funny in the beginning; no one was too out-of-character here also, which was nice. While I sort of wish there could have been more jokes, it was pretty good overall. I like how laidback the animation was here also; while I don't mind the exaggerated animation in other episodes that much, it is nice to see a somewhat slower paced episode somewhere in between. I'd have to give this a 7/10: a BETTER episode.

(PS: by "better", I mean it's better than an "ok" episode)

Ellie Williams

Moby Dollar
This was a pretty good episode, there were some funny moments like the balloon communication of Patrick also Old Man Jenkins acting like he's King Neptune was entertaining also everyone at the end considered SpongeBob as their hero so nothing else to say but give this an 8/10

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Season 11 has certainly been a very interesting ride. A good majority of these episodes center around odd and quirky plots that would feel out of the ordinary in past Seasons. This has generally kept the show fresh in my eyes, rather than falling into another rut that it had been back in Seasons 6-8. Other episodes, I noticed, centered around fanservice (From the highly anticipated Spot Returns to finally giving Bubble Bass his own episode in Moving Bubble Bass, etc.)

Early on, Season 11 seemed fairly promising, giving us a lot of really good episodes such as The Check Up, Spot Returns, Larry the Floor Manager, etc.

It felt as though Season 11 was going to be a step in the right direction, in comparison to the mixed bag tenth Season. But Season 11 recently seemed to fall apart with absolutely terrible episodes such as The Clam Whisperer, Cuddle E. Hugs, and Pat the Horse making their way into the spotlight, mostly emphasizing on crazy/over-the-top jokes centering different characters just for laughs. A lot of very underwhelming episodes such as Fun Sized Friends, Don't Feed the Clowns, and Old Man Patrick. However, the Season seems to have taken a drastic turn for the better towards the end with phenomenal episodes such as Grandmum's the Word, and Moving Bubble Bass. Yes, there were still some flops, but just about every Season always has it's share of bad episodes. Catching up on all the episodes I've missed throughout early 2018, I've finally reached the most recent of episodes.

And now my friends, it is time to review the first within the most recent pair of episodes to fully air on television, High Sea Diving.

I want to note how creative this episode is. The setup to the plot was super creative, I think the concept of Sea Diving is genius, and I was really captivated by how well laid out the setup was. Kaz structured the beginning of this episode perfectly, by jumping right into the middle of something exciting. I guess I'm always a sucker for action-based openings, I just find them really excited if executed properly, and I gotta say, this episode's opening was perfectly executed. I think it was a brilliant connection to the trash blocking the surface, which I gotta say was a great way to intertwine the environment of the ocean into this episode. It really makes this episode stand out significantly, there are a lot of SpongeBob episodes out there you can do in completely different cartoons, and it'd still work out the same. This case is different, as the surface plays a key role in the episode, a very nice change of our usual scenery. Anyway, I can't really express any more how much I adore the "Sea Diving" concept and how it's brilliantly used to connect SpongeBob to the initial focus of the episode, his interactions with Old Man Jenkins on the garbage. Another fantastic touch to this episode was SpongeBob's overarching plot. Yeah, this episode surprisingly features character growth, how cool is that!? SpongeBob is initially depressed upon failing his dive at the beginning of the episode, especially given how disappointed his audience was at the failure. During the climax, he's regarded as a hero, and feels proud of himself, knowing everyone thinks he's a hero. It's a perfect way to wrap up his character plot, and I think it really gives this episode more of a purpose than to just have silly gags involving the ignorant Bikini Bottomites. Sure, the actual "conflict" regarding the Bikini Bottomites being fooled by Old Man Jenkins' is a little ridiculous, but it's really only there to play up some comedy. Because honestly, this episode is surprisingly lacking of comedy. Yeah, there are plenty of funny visual gags sprinkled throughout the episode, but the episode feels a lot more story driven, and given the magnitude of SpongeBob's endeavors (Heading up to the surface), I think it works perfectly fine in this episode's case. In fact, I think it's really funny how the Bikini Bottomites think the trash is a gift from Neptune. Their initial reaction isn't panic, in fact it's a very reasonable reaction, given how Neptune is essentially a god in their universe.

Lots of funny gags emerge from the trash throwing, and I think it was a great to carry on what would've been a very unstable plot. I greatly admire how SpongeBob and Jenkins decided to use the trash to build a ladder from the surface to Bikini Bottom, I think that was very creative. Not to mention, I really find the interactions between the Bikini Bottomites and the two to be an essential turning point in the episode. SpongeBob's character arc is given a proper conclusion, and I think that's what truly makes this a solid story.

And I gotta respect Kaz for staying clear of environmental propaganda. Yes, I do respect environmental propaganda, heck The Endless Summer was a fantastic short. But it gets old and tiresome recycling the same kind of environmental messages, and I was quite concerned this episode would take a predictable route and play up the issue of the trash to blocking the surface. Ironically enough, the trash is treated as a plus for Bikini Bottom, given how many practical uses the fish take out of the trash's presence. Hah-hah, whoops. :squidtroll:

Finally, when it comes to the characters, I think they were all written perfectly. The Bikini Bottomites' whiny nature shortly before the ladder reached the ground was quite concerning (I was afraid the episode would go a predictable route, and feature a subplot with the Bikini Bottomites doing ridiculous things for more gifts, but thankfully this concept was shortened into a small joke), but it seemed to be fixed once they reached SpongeBob and Jenkins. As for Jenkins himself, I think he's a pretty likable character. He's not as funny as the classic-I mean, "real" Jenkins :omj:

I was also pretty delighted by Neptune's appearance, this is probably the best episode he's appeared in so far (Even if you count SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget).

I gotta hand it to Kaz, his work has been very rough for a while now, effectively losing all the charm in his earlier work, but this was a Great Episode. I really enjoyed this episode, it's one of my new favorites of Season 11. I give it a 9.8/10

hippythehippo

Banished
Solid episode. OMJ was hilarious, and so were the other fish. The episode was restrained, and had a classic season 1 atmosphere. Only negatives I have is Krabs at the beginning, and maybe turn the jokes up a notch. Everything else was well handled though, and I am surprised of how creative the crew is 11 seasons into it. 7/10

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Already posted this on SBC two weekends only so I could get to 25 posts, so I figured I should post it here too

Good episode. The visuals and atmosphere of the trash place was really good, and surprisngly not gross at all whatsoever, which was impressive. It was also funny at times too. I loved the idea of all the things falling down to bikini bottom when they fell off the garbage

8/10

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
I'll review some May episodes today, since it's an important month for me.

This episode was okay, nothing too exciting. But I do like the visual looks of the top of the ocean, and I did get a chuckle in. Plus, there's that variation of Old Man Jenkins popping up again. Choose which old man, SpongeBob, choose!

7.4/10

Back