22a. Something Smells

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
10/10

The funniest of the entire SEASON. There are lots of gags, like "I'M UGLY AND I'M PROUD" and The Ugly Barnacle Story. The plot is way better executed here than other shows. Plus it's my second favorite Season 2 episode.

Something Smells: (10/10)
Squids Day Off: (9.5/10)
Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This episode might lack the amount of jokes but this episode is pretty good despite the gross plot. I enjoyed this episode! Btw DEAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! I LOVE THAT SCENE!

Final Rating: Polite

Rankings:
Squid's Day Off (Tolerant)
Something Smells (Polite)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Continuing the trend of season 2 starting off with a bang, we have "Something Smells", which once again, is an extremely nostalgic episode for me. I know why this time though! It's because on the complete season 2 DVD, this episode comes with audio commentary, and so I definitely rewatched the episode often to listen to the audio commentary.

Anyway, to talk about the episode's actual content, this is a fantastic episode. This episode's beginning is great, if not as joke-focused as later parts. SpongeBob's enthusiasm about his weekly tradition is adorable. I love how the little sponge decides to be an innovator too, instead of giving up because he's lacking some ingredients. Also, the small gag about Gary having eaten the peanuts is great. Not exactly blink-and-you'll-miss-it, but certainly on the periphery.

SpongeBob is really just so cute in this episode, shown even more clearly by his Sunday to-do list which includes saying "hi" to everybody in Bikini Bottom. Like that's so wholesome and pure my heart might explode. Anyway, this leads to some funny moments, complete with some great visual gags. Really, this episode is full of great visual gags, something SpongeBob SquarePants doesn't always make use of, so it's nice to see it here.

Eventually, Patrick enters the scene, and he's pretty good in this episode as well. A little mean, but he's not malicious, which is good for me. We really do get the feeling that Patrick is trying to help out his friend, especially once the "I'm ugly and I'm proud" scene comes in. Speaking of that scene, we've got another great example of "adult" humor in Squidward's response to the yelling. What he means, well, that's up to you.

The scene at the cinema is simply one of the all-time iconics of SpongeBob, and it's easy to see why. Especially once Patrick gets angry, we get a fast barrage of jokes. And before that, we have some great audiovisual jokes with the deaugh guy and the lady who gets her whole face burnt off by SpongeBob's bad breath. Honestly, this episode's premise is just so funny in how both real and absurd it is. Because yeah, somebody who's got bad breath is not somebody I wanna be around, but the way people just vanish is hilarious. Or even better, the way the guy in the bathroom reacts to Patrick when he gets bad breath, that's just comedy gold. The ending of this episode, including Squidward's guest appearance, is great, with even more visual jokes and SpongeBob and Patrick running around in joy.

I really, really like this episode. It's been in my top 5 of season 2 for a long time, and while I won't make any promises of where it'll rank this go around, I will definitely say it'll always hold a special place in my heart. It's cute and wholesome, even if gross. "Something Smells" has definitely earned its place on my "Amazing" tier. I will be honest, although I do find moments of this episode to be hilarious, it does come across as less joke-packed than other episodes of this season, but I think the fact that the entire concept of the episode itself is absurd and hilarious helps with that immensely.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.3/10

Nathan Shetka

Balloon Traveler
Patrick mentioned his sister in this episode? that explained why he had an adopted sister in The Patrick Star Show

FryBob PattyPants

Semi-Anthropomorphic Sponge
One of the greatest of a consistent Season 2:
Episode Score: 95/100 (A)
Episode Tier: Amazing

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
Hey, I'm watching this one at this minute in time! I'm supposed to be doing homework but I'm really mad at my school right now for making me walk to school while my shoes were sopping wet. So I decided, maybe I'd just sit here and do a little review while snuggling up in my blankets with all my South Park plushies, homework can wait till the last week of school.

But this episode, I decided to revisit, it's been a while! Season 2, my favorite season. So this episode, I went in thinking it at least has to be somewhat good? Looking at it, I don't think I can think of a single bad Season 2... correct me if I'm wrong.

But anyway, continuing on. This episode reminds me of the kids at my school: the smell bad. But do I have the guts to say that? Not at all. So I just avoid them and run away from their awful sock smell.

As the episode starts, this seems like something SpongeBob would do, make the most awful, horrible, disgusting, wretched sundae ever and actually eat it. It seems like something one of my good buddies would want me to eat after saying "this tastes like :dolphinnoise:, you should try it". But one thing I can appreciate is how excited he is to make the sundae, he just seems so happy about it! The onion joke with Gary playing the violin in the beginning was great. Makes me laugh every time.

One part I love about this episode is how many great jokes including insulting and slightly "adult" jokes. Seriously, this episode has some of the best jokes of SpongeBob.

But as the episode continues, I love SpongeBob's adorable obliviousness. I love how his to-do list is to say hi to everyone in Bikini Bottom. "Giant wads of bubble gum?". As we continue on and SpongeBob goes and talks to Patrick, I love how quickly SpongeBob's mood changes when Patrick brings up his voice. "Well, maybe you're just ugly.". That's crazy he believed that!

I can't help but bring up this scene when Patrick asks "maybe it's the way you're dressed" and the Sans Undertale thing, especially considering I like Undertale. Thought it'd be funny to bring up. Doesn't really have a whole lot to do with the episode, but this part was in "Something Smells".

I'm a sucker for characters you can't help but feel at least a little bad for. I mean, he didn't know that he smelt bad. "I'm ugly and I'm proud!" this part, and Squidward's sarcastic joke (another reason I love Squid as I mentioned, sarcastic humor).

"Excuse me, ugly sponge coming through,". This part was so funny to me. The "DEAUGH" guy and the lady who burns.

"You made me catch the ugly!" I genuinely like Patrick in this episode, he was a little bit of a jerk, but he was only trying to help. I mean, he called SpongeBob ugly, but he also told him to be proud of it and tried to help him be confident. Great Patrick episode.

So in the end, I'd grade this one a definite 10/10!!

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
Ah I see why i didn't think of those (i actually like those ones, may be hated by the community but i enjoy them)
I actually never liked grandma's kisses when I saw it during the hiatus from the movie in 2015 I saw it and I hated it it was the first awful wait no scratch that 2nd awful episode I watched next to someones in the kitchen with sandy

Hugs4Softie

South Park Elementary Student of the Month
I actually never liked grandma's kisses when I saw it during the hiatus from the movie in 2015 I saw it and I hated it it was the first awful wait no scratch that 2nd awful episode I watched next to someones in the kitchen with sandy
Ah, Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy was awful, I agree with you on that one

Back