229a. Doodle Dimension

SPONGEBOYMEBOB

Baby Clam
Master WhoBruh said:
Not going to lie. I really enjoyed watching this episode, couple of minutes after the episode started anyway but I couldn't help but find this episode disappointing because it was a sequel to Frakendoodle but it didn't even bring up the events of that episode. I understand this show isn't a show with a good continuity and I don't expect it to be, maybe they thought the new viewers don't know DoodleBob, so they reintroduced him but if you are gonna bring back a character from the past, you can at least acknowledge its history. So I found SpongeBob and Patrick not knowing DoddleBob was so jarring to see. The humor didn't click with me. First minutes were annoying and none of the gags worked for me, except for the nuts gag but the humor afterwards was acceptable. What made me like the episode was obviously the excitement of SpongeBob and Patrick battling against DoodleBob. Those parts were awesome and the animation of this episode was on point. I liked seeing doodle versions of Sandy, Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Gary. The ending was kind of funny as well.
Overall, a good episode but such a disappointing sequel to Frakendoodle, one of the funniest and most creative episodes in the show. I didn't expect this episode to be in the same quality as that one but I could at least expect some callbacks and the characters remembering DoodleBob. Perhaps the show should stop doing sequels to older episodes, unless they are actually gonna remember the events of the original episodes.

Grade: B

yes but they should have at least referenced that episode. Patrick drew DoodleBob exactly same as SpongeBob drew and the attitude was even same.

If you are gonna to a sequel, don't ignore the original.
Sadly I have to Agree, if they weren't going to reference the previous episode don't bring back DoodleBob. Aside from that I found the episode alright.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Master WhoBruh said:
yes but they should have at least referenced that episode. Patrick drew DoodleBob exactly same as SpongeBob drew and the attitude was even same.

If you are gonna to a sequel, don't ignore the original.
But some people get really upset when in the sequels, the characters say something like "Not again", "Here we go again" or "Hey, remember when...", or list everything that happened before aloud, which usually sounds really forced. Finding Dory, for example, fell a victim to this in some of the lines.

But some people get really upset when in the sequels, the characters say something like "Not again", "Here we go again" or "Hey, remember when...", or list everything that happened before aloud, which usually sounds really forced. Finding Dory, for example, fell a victim to this in some of the lines.

I find it more annoying that characters don't remember their previous events that is happening now than characters saying" here we go again" tbh. Patrick drawing DoodleBob and not even remembering his experience with him was so weird.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
I don't really mind that they didn't verbally reference this episode's predecessor. They already brought back DoodleBob from said episode, so shouldn't that be enough of a callback? Look at the other "character returns" episodes of season 11. Those episodes didn't actually acknowledge the events of previous episodes besides the character making his or her first appearance since their last appearance and still turned out good. Plus, the episode was great regardless, and it's not like the episode actually would be way better if Frankendoodle's events were recalled. Look at Bubble Buddy Returns. That episode made a callback to the titular character never paying Mr. Krabs back, but it was still a mediocre episode.

Klu

Moby Dollar
I think it's not of big problem with no mentioning of previous DoodleBob encounter, because episode itself non even titled "Doodle Bob Returns" or something like that, it's just another episode with doodle-gimmick with DoodleBob character thrown in. It's more of Nickelodeon advertising fault (as usual) hyping up DoodleBob's return.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
This is why SpongeBob shouldn't tackle continuity

It doesn't know how to handle it

If not handled correctly sudden continuity can REALLY bring the show down!

Stop trying to be something you're not SpongeBob SquarePants because you could easily jump the shark

Continuity only works for shows which have had an established storyline since the beginning

Squidwardiard

Frozen Cephalopod
Amphitrite said:
I don't really mind that they didn't verbally reference this episode's predecessor. They already brought back DoodleBob from said episode, so shouldn't that be enough of a callback? Look at the other "character returns" episodes of season 11. Those episodes didn't actually acknowledge the events of previous episodes besides the character making his or her first appearance since their last appearance and still turned out good. Plus, the episode was great regardless, and it's not like the episode actually would be way better if Frankendoodle's events were recalled. Look at Bubble Buddy Returns. That episode made a callback to the titular character never paying Mr. Krabs back, but it was still a mediocre episode.
A little off topic, but speaking of Bubble Buddy Returns, it was so weird to hear Mr. Krabs say that. It's just so unusual for Spongebob to have continuity like that.

Tyler730

Part Computer or Something
The beginning of the episode was rather tedious, especially that joke about “not pushing the buttons” but they end up doing it. It drags on too long, which took away the humor out of it. Although I found the part about Sandy stealing nuts funny. When they get in the dimension it gets good. I really enjoyed DoodleBob’s return (although I wished he had new lines but that doesn’t matter). I also liked the battle between SpongeBob and Patrick and the doodles. It reminded me of Sand Castles in the Sand, which was formerly my favorite episode of Season 6. I would say the only part I didn’t like in the dimension was Patrick’s dance. It felt extremely childish. If it wasn’t for the tedious beginning, then this would be rated Amazing, but because of it, I’ll rate it Great.

Rating: Great

Original Raw and Uncut

Two-Headed Starfish
Ehh, I give it a 5/10. The original Doodlebob from 2001 was miles better. The concept here was creative, but it didn't have that extra zest that the original had. Plus, it took HALF the episode for doodle to show up, and the humor was a bit dry, but the angry farmer gave me a few chuckles. In my honest opinion post-squeal spongebob is not the renaissance of spongebob, episodes are average at best, but still way better than S6/S7. I'm not a post-movie hater, I just think that nothing can beat pre-movie. People are too convinced that just because steve is back, that everything is back to normal. If he never returned, people would look at these episodes with a more analytical eye. It was also disappointing that there were no callbacks to the original doodlebob, making this utterly pointless. Would've been neat if they had an episode where doodlebob destroys the city.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
Klu said:
No, it doesn't. Many great shows without any continuous story-arc have continuty and it didn't hurt overall quality of the product.
Ok, fair enough

Perhaps I should have said "continuity works best with shows that have had a storyline since the very beginning"

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Original Raw and Uncut said:
It was also disappointing that there were no callbacks to the original doodlebob, making this utterly pointless.
People have already explained that this bugs some people when the characters say that. It usually sounds forced, especially when beginning with "Not again" or "Hey, remember when...".

Ellie Williams

Moby Dollar
I saw this episode a few days ago and didn't make my review about it so here are my thoughts so far...

This episode was pretty cool, the beginning was a mix of annoying and humor at the same time but when SpongeBob and Patrick went into a dimension, everything started to pick up which is some type of Rick and Morty vibe what some people said, ok?, anyways my only problem was how can both SpongeBob and Patrick can't remember DoodleBob, despite the rough time they been through from FrankenDoodle which came out in 2002 but oh well I was happy to see DoodleBob again but it's ashamed he doesn't have any new lines, I also noticed they brought back Death Trap which hasn't been used for years plus it gave me the season 1 vibes, the action part of the episode was amazing which was a throwback to Sand Castles in the Sand from season 6, so overall I would rate this episode a 8/10. It could've been better but I still enjoyed it

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
Ellie Williams said:
anyways my only problem was how can both SpongeBob and Patrick can't remember DoodleBob, despite the rough time they been through from FrankenDoodle which came out in 2002 but oh well I was happy to see DoodleBob again
I already said it's the new DoodleBob, and the reminder of the past episodes' events usually sounds really forced.

Back