227b. Old Man Patrick

D00d13B0bF1atpants

Floating Shopping List
It's about time the Theme song made a Cameo within an actual Episode!! It only took 11 Seasons, and 19 Years

Matt0417

Floating Shopping List
[SIZE=11pt]Old people on SpongeBob are good most of the time, so seeing one of the characters become old is somewhat of an interesting idea. There are 2 running gags in this episode. One with a fish named Marco telling people to stop calling his name while playing Marco Polo, and another really weird one where a kid gets taken away for a short joke or scene, and his mom takes him back. It’s honestly a really strange running gag, but it’s funny. As for the story, I have 1 minor problem. What made SpongeBob become old in the end? Because, yes, he gets old like Patrick, but Patrick accidentally went with all the ladies to the retirement home and that’s what made him think he’s old. The story is decent without that problem though. I wasn’t too keen on the idea behind it, but again, SpongeBob wants to help the old people feel young again, so it’s another sweet SpongeBob personality episode.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Rating: 7/10 (Good)[/SIZE]

Coffee_lover

Banished
What a pleasant surprise,I’ only now noticed that this episode has best post-sequel Easter egg ever!
5569FC0E-D5C5-4DBB-A920-93EC217D957B.jpeg
893EC26B-01E3-440D-8E50-B5C04E30F004.jpeg
Hurrrrrrrraaaaaaaayyyyyy.....

(But seriously,who the heck even though that referencing anything from most hated episode is a great idea?)

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Coffee_lover said:
What a pleasant surprise,I’ only now noticed that this episode has best post-sequel Easter egg ever!
attachicon.gif
5569FC0E-D5C5-4DBB-A920-93EC217D957B.jpeg
attachicon.gif
893EC26B-01E3-440D-8E50-B5C04E30F004.jpeg
Hurrrrrrrraaaaaaaayyyyyy.....

(But seriously,who the heck even though that referencing anything from most hated episode is a great idea?)
Um... okay, I'll be honest. I did NOT notice this until you pointed this out. But, I'm glad they made a callback to that episode honestly. I kind of wish Puffy Fluffy reappeared, but this further proves that the crew isn't making callbacks just to pander to pre-movie fans, and I like that.

So this episode is alright. It's not that interesting, but it's not that bad. I like the theme song reference, and I liked a few of the jokes. What I DIDN'T like was the Marco gag. I feel like it was just unnecessary and added nothing to the plot. I can respect this episode, but I wouldn't call it "good."

THE LIST:
1. Scavenger Pants (A+)
2. Teacher's Pests (A+)
3. The Legend Of Boo-Kini Bottom (A+)
4. Squid Noir (A)
5. Chatterbox Gary (A)
6. Man Ray Returns (A)
7. Spin The Bottle (A)
8. Larry The Floor Manager (A)
9. Drive Happy (A)
10. Stuck On The Roof (B)
11. There's A Sponge In My Soup (B)
12. Pat the Horse (B)
13. Spot Returns (B)
14. Cave Dwelling Sponge (B)
15. The Clam Whisperer (C)
16. No Pictures, Please (C)
17. Cuddle E. Hugs (C)
18. Old Man Patrick (C)
19. Krabby Patty Creature Feature (C)
20. Don't Feed the Clowns (C)
21. The Check-Up (D)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Old Man Patrick” or “Squidward’s School For Grown-Ups”? I know which one I’d be choosing. In a heartbeat. And no, this is not me endorsing the rip-off label for the first time, we still haven’t reached those conditions yet. But I won’t lie and say that this episode doesn’t share some similarities with the other one. But that’s as far as it goes.

This episode begins with SpongeBob and Patrick having fun at the pool. I’ve got to admit, Patrick’s reason for thinking he’s old now (the wrinkles on his body from being in the pool for a while) is pretty fun. Not to mention, he’s primarily lured by the promise of ice cream. As for SpongeBob, I liked this running gag with the Marco Polo thing. It’s funnier to me since I just watched The Equalizer 3. (Especially after the last iteration with Clarabell clobbering Marco…that’s basically the movie).

Watching Patrick act like a stereotypical old person is somewhat enjoyable, though I must say I liked Pearl’s experience in “Mall Girl Pearl” more. Anyway, Patrick’s integration into Shady Shoals is marked by quite the physical transformation, making him look more like GrandPat than Patrick. Eventually, SpongeBob finds him (a lot earlier than I expected), and Patrick seems to not know who he is. I like how SpongeBob sings his own theme song to get Patrick to remember him, that was a fun little 4th wall break. I also like how SpongeBob doesn’t even question that Patrick’s old now LMAO.

Patrick tries to show SpongeBob all the new activities he does as an old person. None of this part of the episode was very funny to me, with the exception of the complaining activity, that was good. At this point, I realize that maybe this episode is about SpongeBob and Patrick’s friendship, like “Patrick SmartPants”. Though, I can already tell that that episode is going to be superior. SpongeBob tries to come up with some activities for the two to do that are actually fun, but Patrick says no to all of them. The morbid joke with the coffin was hilarious though haha.

SpongeBob tries to breathe some life into all the old folks in “Shady Shoals”. This part again proves that this show is full of vocab words. SpongeBob takes the old folks to Bunny Buns, which is basically Chuck E. Cheese, and this is pretty enjoyable. I like how the old folks simply can’t behave, and SpongeBob has to basically babysit them, starting to turn into an old man himself. But the steam escaping from his body turns Patrick young again, so now we get a role reversal. And a callback to a death prank from earlier. Man, this episode really toes the line with some of this morbid humor, doesn’t it? (Not really, but let’s pretend).

There really isn’t much for me to say about “Old Man Patrick”. It’s a decent episode, but not much of it made me laugh. I don’t want to call it boring though, but something about it just didn’t connect for me. So it’s hard for me to decide whether it goes in the Okay Tier or Good Tier. Luckily, there’s one big deciding factor between these two tiers—would I rewatch this episode purposefully (so not during a marathon of the show, for example)? And, you know what, yes, I think I would. It’s not the best, but I thought it was decently fun. And it has those embrace your inner child vibes, which I can always appreciate.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7/10

Back