227a. Drive Happy

"SpongeBob can't drive, but you don't need a license to operate a self-driving car"

Yeah, not sure about this premise. We already had a premise of SpongeBob not needing a license to drive a car (Burst Your Bubble) but It could be something different.

Discuss when it's aired.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
This actually didn't feel like Brust Yout Bubble at all surprisengly, it felt more like the boaty scenes in Gone and the Le Spatula scenes in All That Glitters.

Klu

Moby Dollar
This episode was actually pretty good. It has many good humor, great visuals, awesome climax and SpongeBob as character portrayed here fantstically! I was afraid that this episode would feel like ril-off of other episodes or would be over-the-top-wacky. But nope, episods waz relatively calm. Except Patrick's part in the episode. You know, what I'm talking about if you watched the episode. In one particular scene episode just turned into "Pat the Horse" kind of deal and was so loud and annoying that I thought episode was ruined, but thankfully, it wasn't. But because of this scene:
8/10.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I really liked the episode. It was funny throughout the episode. 8/10

Tyler730

Part Computer or Something
This episode is filled to the brim with action! I loved the action here. This is one of those episodes that’s not really funny, but has some amusing scenes. There’s only several issues here. One is Coupe. He’s kinda snobby and unlikeable. However that’s not a huge issue. Another is Patrick. What the heck happened here?! Patrick was so hyperactive and childish here. I cringed at that part. The rest is just a lot of fun. I was originally going to rate this Great, but because of Coupe and Patrick, I give it a Good. It’s not as great as the previous boating school episode in this season (Teacher’s Pests).

Rating: Good

Ellie Williams

Moby Dollar
Tyler730 said:
This episode is filled to the brim with action! I loved the action here. This is one of those episodes that’s not really funny, but has some amusing scenes. There’s only several issues here. One is Coupe. He’s kinda snobby and unlikeable. However that’s not a huge issue. Another is Patrick. What the heck happened here?! Patrick was so hyperactive and childish here. I cringed at that part.It’s just a lot of fun. I was originally going to rate this Great, but because of Coupe and Patrick, I give it a Good. It’s not as great as the previous boating school episode in this season (Teacher’s Pests).

Rating: Good
it is funny that spongebob in this episode didn't act so hyper actively childish as before but more like his old self but yes I did cringed at Patrick acting like a typical 6 year old
i feel like new episodes discussion is slowly dying down, some don't even bother to review a new episode after it comes out since they r either busy or something

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
So I'm definitely not the only person who really didn't like Patrick in this episode. As much as I enjoy the Season 10 and 11 episodes, I do admit Patrick's characterization does feel a whole lot weaker than it was in 9B. That being said, the scene is pretty brief, and the rest of this episode is really fun. The reactions from other characters of SpongeBob owning a car is pretty fun, especially with how careless he is with it, but if I'm being honest, I kinda dig Coupe, in a "love to hate" kind of way. His whole snobby "better than you" sort of attitude isn't necessarily new to the show, but seeing his incompatibility with SpongeBob makes for a really interesting character dynamic, and heck, I really dig SpongeBob's characterization here. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy SpongeBob's character in most recent episodes, or else I probably wouldn't be watching the show. However, it feels like a good while since we've seen him get mad at something; we've seen him upset, uncomfortable, and fearful, sure, but usually he doesn't really let himself get too angry, which made his frustration towards Coupe all the more satisfying. The action-packed climax also is loads of fun, with some really great animation, as is usual for these seasons.

SCORE: Deciding between 8 and 9. Minus the Patrick scenes it would be 9 for sure, but it might be enough to drop it down a point, even if brief. The rest of the episode is really good though.

Reactions: Klu
One of the recent good Kaz episodes for sure. My biggest problem with this episode was that Patrick was so annoying I even had to agree with Coupe. His scene at the end was really funny but his other scene was played out for too long and Mrs. Puff's cameo was same old her getting hurt. Rest of the episode was fine with some good humor and action. Squidward literally erasing his mind was a well done gag. Scope was a big jerk but unlike Le Spatula, SpongeBob slowly realized how horrible he is and Coupe got his fair punishment from him. This is definitely one of my favorite characterizations of SpongeBob in a while. The chase scene was pretty amusing to sit through as well as the whole scene in Car Wash. Definitely an enjoyable ride, pun intended, excluding Patrick and Mrs. Puff's cameos.

Grade: B

Ellie Williams

Moby Dollar
Master WhoBruh said:
One of the recent good Kaz episodes for sure. My biggest problem with this episode was that Patrick was so annoying I even had to agree with Coupe. His scene at the end was really funny but his other scene was played out for too long and Mrs. Puff's cameo was same old her getting hurt. Rest of the episode was fine with some good humor and action. Squidward literally erasing his mind was a well done gag. Scope was a big jerk but unlike Le Spatula, SpongeBob slowly realized how horrible he is and Coupe got his fair punishment from him. This is definitely one of my favorite characterizations of SpongeBob in a while. The chase scene was pretty amusing to sit through as well as the whole scene in Car Wash. Definitely an enjoyable ride, pun intended, excluding Patrick and Mrs. Puff's cameos.

Grade: B
Yeah I agree, I loved SpongeBob's characterization here instead of his usual hyperactive childish self but I find Patrick here to be a very cringy and unfunny immature 6 year old which is my only main problem from the episode, it could've been better though but oh well

Great episode, even if it's like All That Glitters mixed with Gone. I was worried that this episode wouldn't stack up with Burst Your Bubble and Teacher's Pests, which are both great boating school episodes and some of my favorites of seasons 10 and 11. Technically, this isn't even a boating school episode, since Mrs. Puff is barely involved, save for the short cameo. I thought it was pretty enjoyable, though, with funny jokes and great characterization of SpongeBob. Coupe was a good Le Spatula-type character, who was actually a bit funny with how stuck-up he was. Patrick's scene was definitely the low point of the episode, as he's played out to be a hyperactive child yet again. As I said previously in another thread, this is one trend that really needs to stop. Fortunately, that didn't bring down the rest of the episode. The climax is great, and the ending was humorous as well. I give this one an 8/10.

DoodleToonsDood

Banished
This was a pretty funny episode in my opinion.

My favorite parts were when Coupe kept demanding more and more things from SpongeBob as the night went on and SpongeBob almost peeing in the car.

I'm gonna give this one a 9/10.

1033Forest

Imitation Krab
I was able to watch it online, it was a pretty great episode. In the second half when Coupe turns against him that was pretty funny and defines SpongeBob's character well, that he does need to go to work. Then at the end Coupe got the punishment he deserved for not letting SpongeBob go to work, he was turned into the Krusty Krab's kiddie ride.

On my color rating scale, this gets a blue.

TheGreatServer

NOT a Bunny now!
This is my second favorite episode of the week, I have pretty much the same thoughts on this episode as Chatterbox Gary.

9/10

iedasb

Crazy Artist
Episode was pretty lame to me until SpongeBob unziped his pants ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) haha lol JK
I think the episode was funny, Patrick was kinda annoying, as always, but he wasn't a jerk, so that is good to me. SpongeBob had a good personality on the episode, I liked it overrall, there's not much to complain about it. The drive thru scene was great too!

I that car's voice made me remember of Simon Cowell, also the car attitude made me remember of this guy too lol

Very funny episode 7.5/10
I would watch again!

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Going in to watch Drive Happy, I honestly wasn't quite sure what to expect. I didn't really have that general idea of what the plot was going to be, so I wasn't too sure whether or not this was going to be that good of an episode. In the end, I found myself fairly enjoying this episode. First, let's talk about the plot.

This episode's premise is surprisingly kind of original. A lot of Season 11 plotlines tend to recycle elements from older episodes, and in this one, I couldn't really think of any episode that this one is ripped off of. The most similar plotline to this episode is probably SpongeBob LongPants, given the self-driving boat's overall outlook on the tacky Krusty Krab. But even then, that episode greatly differs from this episode, heck, the closest thing this episode has to a different episode is probably SpongeBob's interaction with his boat in Gone. Essentially, this episode has the stereotypical self-driving car that eventually attempts to take over his owner's life. Well, metaphorically speaking in this episode's case, the boat's intention isn't necessarily to take over SpongeBob's life, it's to do whatever he wants, which results in roping SpongeBob in.

This episode's storyline isn't really that great, but it's definitely made for with the humor. I definitely found myself enjoying a lot of different gags in this episode. The boat gags at the beginning of the episode were visually, very funny, and there were a lot of great gags with the self-driving boat throughout the episode. There were even a few lines here and there that were funny, like Squidward's "I wasn't acting" line.

I don't really have much to say about this episode's plotline, nor it's humor. It seems to get the job done with presenting a solid story and a lot of funny jokes. It's not groundbreaking, but it's relatively harmless in that regard. However, I definitely have quite a lot of things to say about the characters in this episode.

SpongeBob is the perfect protagonist in this episode. He is, he really is. Even during Season 10 when characters began to flanderize once more, only this time with different personalities that the current team of writers have become accustomed to writing, SpongeBob has always managed to remain in character. One of the biggest problems with the flanderization during the Post-Movie era, was that SpongeBob was often severely mistreated (Particularly in episodes such as Boating Buddies, Squidwood, etc.), but now, I feel as though the writing team understands how SpongeBob should properly act in each episode, because I really haven't seen any major flaws with his character since Squid Baby.

Patrick, on the other hand has been regressed to the utmost stupidity in this episode, once again. Unlike The Clam Whisperer, where it was played up to no end just for the sake of comedy, Patrick is essentially a key character in the plot progression in this episode. I certainly don't enjoy his portrayal in this episode, there are definitely smarter and clever ways to have him mess around with the self-driving boat. The "Butt on button" line was especially obnoxious, delivering nothing more than goofy visuals. It's not even slapstick, it's just Patrick spazzing around while making goofy noises. He definitely is quite the nuisance in this episode.

Now before we move onto our main antagonist, I definitely want to get another character out of the way.

Squidward, oddly enough, is severely mistreated in this episode in one scene, yet seems to be perfectly in character his next scene. It's so odd, that "Erase from my memory" gag was terrible, completely out of his character, he would never to such stupidity. He would maybe smack his head against something, but that's the most he would probably do. This gag doesn't even come into play later on. Squidward says "Who's SpongeBob?" after erasing his memory, yet he's completely normal in his next scene. Why!? There was no point to this scene other than some kind of excuse to fill in time with a "funny" joke. The next scene he's in, he's perfectly normal. He even has a great one-liner, too. Okay, it's not that great, but by Post-Prequel standards, it's pretty good.

Now let's talk about our main antagonist. I found myself enjoying this character at first, but when he takes a complete turnaround in behavior once inside SpongeBob's house, he's nothing more than an arrogant scumbag. His personality is intended to be classy, and full of himself, but I didn't really enjoy how much of a jerk he essentially became so early on in the episode. I would've preferred if he had a slow progression, maybe have the interaction with Patrick be the essential breaking point of his character, with seeing the Krusty Krab being the final straw. But I simply don't feel any compassion for this guy when Patrick attacks him since he was already a big jerk to SpongeBob previously in the channel switching scene. I don't have a problem with him being a nuisance to SpongeBob (Parallel to Squidward being a nuisance to SpongeBob in Can You Spare a Dime?). In fact, a lot of this episode's gags stem from him in the earlier scenes, so I don't have a problem with him intruding SpongeBob's house. However, his personality in the channel switching scene feels too brass, his chipper personality the following morning doesn't even feel sincere. They definitely should've toned down his character early on, and have it snowball into the breaking straw. He wasn't that likable of an antagonist either.

Well McSponge, aren't antagonists supposed to be...you know, antagonists!?

Yes, but there is a way to make a completely evil character likable. Take Dennis for instance. I absolutely love watching him in the first movie, and he's out to murder our protagonists. I just don't care for the boat when he goes full antagonistic, he just comes across as a snobbish uptight control freak. There's nothing wrong with that type of character, but the execution how he acts certainly makes him an unlikable character (It IS possible to play off this type of character well, just look at Squilliam).

Overall, by the climax of this episode, I just wasn't that invested or interested in this episode. Still, I did find myself enjoying a good chunk of it, and there are still lots of funny jokes sprinkled throughout the episode. It's an Okay Episode. I give it a 6.5/10.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Going in to watch Drive Happy, I honestly wasn't quite sure what to expect. I didn't really have that general idea of what the plot was going to be, so I wasn't too sure whether or not this was going to be that good of an episode. In the end, I found myself fairly enjoying this episode. First, let's talk about the plot.

This episode's premise is surprisingly kind of original. A lot of Season 11 plotlines tend to recycle elements from older episodes, and in this one, I couldn't really think of any episode that this one is ripped off of. The most similar plotline to this episode is probably SpongeBob LongPants, given the self-driving boat's overall outlook on the tacky Krusty Krab. But even then, that episode greatly differs from this episode, heck, the closest thing this episode has to a different episode is probably SpongeBob's interaction with his boat in Gone. Essentially, this episode has the stereotypical self-driving car that eventually attempts to take over his owner's life. Well, metaphorically speaking in this episode's case, the boat's intention isn't necessarily to take over SpongeBob's life, it's to do whatever he wants, which results in roping SpongeBob in.

This episode's storyline isn't really that great, but it's definitely made for with the humor. I definitely found myself enjoying a lot of different gags in this episode. The boat gags at the beginning of the episode were visually, very funny, and there were a lot of great gags with the self-driving boat throughout the episode. There were even a few lines here and there that were funny, like Squidward's "I wasn't acting" line.

I don't really have much to say about this episode's plotline, nor it's humor. It seems to get the job done with presenting a solid story and a lot of funny jokes. It's not groundbreaking, but it's relatively harmless in that regard. However, I definitely have quite a lot of things to say about the characters in this episode.

SpongeBob is the perfect protagonist in this episode. He is, he really is. Even during Season 10 when characters began to flanderize once more, only this time with different personalities that the current team of writers have become accustomed to writing, SpongeBob has always managed to remain in character. One of the biggest problems with the flanderization during the Post-Movie era, was that SpongeBob was often severely mistreated (Particularly in episodes such as Boating Buddies, Squidwood, etc.), but now, I feel as though the writing team understands how SpongeBob should properly act in each episode, because I really haven't seen any major flaws with his character since Squid Baby.

Patrick, on the other hand has been regressed to the utmost stupidity in this episode, once again. Unlike The Clam Whisperer, where it was played up to no end just for the sake of comedy, Patrick is essentially a key character in the plot progression in this episode. I certainly don't enjoy his portrayal in this episode, there are definitely smarter and clever ways to have him mess around with the self-driving boat. The "Butt on button" line was especially obnoxious, delivering nothing more than goofy visuals. It's not even slapstick, it's just Patrick spazzing around while making goofy noises. He definitely is quite the nuisance in this episode.

Now before we move onto our main antagonist, I definitely want to get another character out of the way.

Squidward, oddly enough, is severely mistreated in this episode in one scene, yet seems to be perfectly in character his next scene. It's so odd, that "Erase from my memory" gag was terrible, completely out of his character, he would never to such stupidity. He would maybe smack his head against something, but that's the most he would probably do. This gag doesn't even come into play later on. Squidward says "Who's SpongeBob?" after erasing his memory, yet he's completely normal in his next scene. Why!? There was no point to this scene other than some kind of excuse to fill in time with a "funny" joke. The next scene he's in, he's perfectly normal. He even has a great one-liner, too. Okay, it's not that great, but by Post-Prequel standards, it's pretty good.

Now let's talk about our main antagonist. I found myself enjoying this character at first, but when he takes a complete turnaround in behavior once inside SpongeBob's house, he's nothing more than an arrogant scumbag. His personality is intended to be classy, and full of himself, but I didn't really enjoy how much of a jerk he essentially became so early on in the episode. I would've preferred if he had a slow progression, maybe have the interaction with Patrick be the essential breaking point of his character, with seeing the Krusty Krab being the final straw. But I simply don't feel any compassion for this guy when Patrick attacks him since he was already a big jerk to SpongeBob previously in the channel switching scene. I don't have a problem with him being a nuisance to SpongeBob (Parallel to Squidward being a nuisance to SpongeBob in Can You Spare a Dime?). In fact, a lot of this episode's gags stem from him in the earlier scenes, so I don't have a problem with him intruding SpongeBob's house. However, his personality in the channel switching scene feels too brass, his chipper personality the following morning doesn't even feel sincere. They definitely should've toned down his character early on, and have it snowball into the breaking straw. He wasn't that likable of an antagonist either.

Well McSponge, aren't antagonists supposed to be...you know, antagonists!?

Yes, but there is a way to make a completely evil character likable. Take Dennis for instance. I absolutely love watching him in the first movie, and he's out to murder our protagonists. I just don't care for the boat when he goes full antagonistic, he just comes across as a snobbish uptight control freak. There's nothing wrong with that type of character, but the execution how he acts certainly makes him an unlikable character (It IS possible to play off this type of character well, just look at Squilliam).

Overall, by the climax of this episode, I just wasn't that invested or interested in this episode. Still, I did find myself enjoying a good chunk of it, and there are still lots of funny jokes sprinkled throughout the episode. It's an Okay Episode. I give it a 6.5/10.
I didn't really understood your point about car's unlikability. He is antagonist and he isn't supposed to be likable, we want to see him getting coomepence for his actions.
Dennis is not really good example, he isn't focus of the movie and even not big bad. Plankton in the movie is really unlikeable, tho.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
I didn't really understood your point about car's unlikability. He is antagonist and he isn't supposed to be likable, we want to see him getting coomepence for his actions.
Dennis is not really good example, he isn't focus of the movie and even not big bad. Plankton in the movie is really unlikeable, tho.

I should've used a better word to clarify my meaning. It's possible to enjoy watching a really good villain (Like Dennis, I think he's a great villain), but the boat just wasn't that entertaining of a villain, he's more annoying than he is entertaining.

Klu

Moby Dollar
I should've used a better word to clarify my meaning. It's possible to enjoy watching a really good villain (Like Dennis, I think he's a great villain), but the boat just wasn't that entertaining of a villain, he's more annoying than he is entertaining.
Then it's more understandable.
But I still think that because SpongeBob in this episode isn't push-over it's less of a problem, but I can understand and respect your opinion now.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Another mediocre episode, most of it was okay, not much funny moments, but nothing bad either, however Patrick was so horrible I had to lower the grade.

I know these reviews are not in depth, but I don't care about this show much any more lmao.

5/10

Back