224a. Squid Noir

this episode airs on November 10.

The episode I'm the most excited about. Hopefully it'll be good.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
Squidy said:
Wow, disappointed. None from Michigan was seen. Bubble bass was just a side character the this episode. They lied. They also had horrible choices for the colors. It wasn't funny. SCUMBOB episode. Don't do this again Nick. 3/10.
Aside from being unfunny, those seem like extremely extraneous reasons to hate an episode.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
Squidy said:
None from Michigan was seen. Bubble bass was just a side character the this episode. They also had horrible choices for the colors.
1. What the everloving christ does Michigan have to do with this?

2. If anything having him be more than a side character would've been beyond dragged out to the point of being unfunny and would be horrible pacing. This has been his biggest role since Pickles and anyone could've replaced him and the story would've worked just as fine. There is no reason to complain about Bubble Bass "not being in long enough".

3. As much as I'll joke about them being seizure inducing it was something for the kids when the plot was already over so it did no harm and made some of the audiences day.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Wow, disappointed. None from Michigan was seen. Bubble bass was just a side character the this episode. They lied. They also had horrible choices for the colors. It wasn't funny. SCUMBOB episode. Don't do this again Nick. 3/10.
Oh so there are numbers behind 10 for you.

Anyway, I thought this episode was another great one. I REALLY liked the atmosphere, it had a very good plot, the characterization was good and I didn't notice any weird OOC or anything, and the episode was funny too. And I didn't notice anything at all wring with it. It didn't even seem too zany or fast-paced or anything. Good job Andrew Goodman, this is your best episode yet!

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
As YBtC Week comes to a close, now's the time to review Squid Noir!

Well, I must say... this episode... okay, I can't do this anymore. It was AMAZING! This episode was good on all ends! Very easily the best episode of the premiere week and possibly the best of season 11 so far! The episode truly lived up to its potential and got just about everything right in this episode! I of course loved the noir spoof-style of this episode (this show is really knows how to do parodies correctly), and I absolutely loved Squidward's performance in this episode. He truly was hard-boiled here, and it was a rather refreshing break from the "zany Squidward" moments we've been getting lately. Nobody was out of character and the characters present actually contributed to the plot. The set up was great, the comedy was good, the atmosphere was spot on, and the story was mysteriously astounding! Overall, this was easily the best episode of the week and is my favorite season 11 episode so far! 10/10!

P.S. I think the other PS I know will enjoy this. ;)

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
I absolutely loved every second of this episode! The humor was spot on, the animation was great, the atmosphere was amazing, and it was just enjoyable all the way through. I'm actually surprised they hadn't done a noir themed episode until now, but I'm glad they finally made one. My favorite part would have to be the action figure scene, and pretty much every time Bubble Bass was on screen. I love how they've been incorporating him into the show lately. I'll have to watch it again to really decide my final thoughts on the episode but for now It's my favorite of this week's bunch of episodes.

Growlie

Best Boy
I was more interested in the black & white detective parts then I was the beginning, and that scene with Bubble Bass reminds me why I despise him. And I don't understand the colors either, I did like the black & white part those.

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
This episode was definitely the best of the week. The black and white piece when Squidward speaks more like his voice actor (Rodger Bumpass), Bubble Bass showing up,and just the visuals had this episode look great. The jokes were on point, too. I was mad at the end for a second, then I realized that I forgot the whole purpose of the "week of episodes"- fans coloring in certain scenes and the theme song. All in all, a 9.7/10.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
And I don't understand the colors either,

Not fully sure whst you mean by this, but if you mean the flashing colors on all the characters at the end, basically this episode and the rest of the ones premiering this week were part of a "You Bring the Color" event where you could color the theme songs and it would be on TV. You could also color the end of the episode as well and get that into the episode as well. So basically the flashing colors at the end were colored in by other people.

Now that I think of it, it'll be funny when people who didn't watch the premiere watch the episode for the first time, and see the flashing colors and have no idea why it's doing that lol.

MrTortellini00

lame funny
Wintermelon43 said:
Now that I think of it, it'll be funny when people who didn't watch the premiere watch the episode for the first time, and see the flashing colors and have no idea why it's doing that lol.
Keep in mind that the flashing colors only apply for the premiere, the digital releases and possibly the reruns are normally colored (as seen on sb wiki's gallery) and I doubt everyone will watch a recording of the premiere and its seizure inducing colors :P

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Keep in mind that the flashing colors only apply for the premiere, the digital releases and possibly the reruns are normally colored (as seen on sb wiki's gallery) and I doubt everyone will watch a recording of the premiere and its seizure inducing colors :P
Oh. That makes more sense then

I couldn't manage to watch Scavengerpants and I'll talk about it when I see it but I managed to see this and it's another great episode for this season. My only complaint about this episode is how the beginning played out like a typical over the top zany episode of this show but once it got to detective premise, I started to find so much good humor in this, even a few dialogue driven comedy like SpongeBob saying suspects are friends who aren't charged yet or the deadbeat dad toy Bubble Bass had and him loving the toy for being a good dad. SpongeBob and Squidward detective dynamic was neat to see, especially in the scene with them being ridiculously good cops to Mr. Krabs (the scene reminded me of Krab Borg but both were different situations, so it's all good). Mermaid Man toy fighting deadbeat dad was pretty unexpected and tons of fun and the punchline of the sequence made me laugh. I sadly knew who stole Squidward's clarinet from the leaked video but it didn't bother me that much and the reveal was kind of unpredictable if you never saw the leaked video. I'm glad Squidward got a happy end and the characters supported him, even though they had to plug their ears. Such a funny episode for this season. I gotta say, despite some of bland episodes, the humor of season 11 has been much funnier than season 10. Keep it up that way, season 11.

Grade: A-

Reactions: Reg

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Ah, we've been all waiting for this one. And I must say, this was definitely a good one.

Squid Noir is your average mystery episode, paying homage to classic detective movies of the 1930s-1950s. It's a pretty simply plot line, but let me tell you, it's very entertaining. The concept of this episode is as simple as one you could get. Squidward's clarinet has been stolen, and it's up to Squidward to find out who stole it. However, it's mood of the episode that really gets you going. Roger Bumpass did a fantastic job doing the Squidward narrations. I never thought it was possibly, hearing Squidward be much more serious than he already is, but this episode managed to avoid all of his infamous "freak-out" traits. I also must say, I absolutely adored the black and white. It definitely gave the episode an entirely different vibe to it, and the explanation as to why it's black and white is very reasonable. Squidward's clarinet gives him happiness, and without it, the whole world just appears as a dull, soulless world. The visuals in this episode are fantastic, they do so much more to define the mood of this episode aside from just animating the characters colorless. The rain, the shading, the lighting, they really did a great job paying homage to classic detective movies.

As for the characters in this episode, they are written very well. Krabs was kind of a little too cranky, but his appearance in the ending was really funny. Bubble Bass was perfectly in character, one of the best characters in this episode. SpongeBob made for a good sidekick bouncing off of Squidward during the interrogations, while still managing to remain serious during a lot of his scenes, making him not an annoying nuisance that would completely kill the unique vibe presented in this episode. Squidward was a perfect protagonist, for those who're against "Crazy Squidward", oh boy, this is definitely a treat for you! Patrick was probably the worst part of the episode. He seemed a little too crazy for my taste, but he did keep the plot moving, and wasn't really that much of a filler character. Plus, he ends up joining SpongeBob and Squidward once they've interviewed him, that was a nice little touch, that also cleaned up his performance.

Now comes the humor, I really like the humor in this episode. While I don't find the set-up with everyone freaking out over Squidward's playing that funny, I do think there managed to be some funny gags within this scene. I also really liked how Bubble Bass was now put in a "Comic Book Guy-esque" role. It was great to see his character grow, with his personality splitting away from his standard obese, food-loving character. Probably the funniest part of the episode was the reveal that the action figure scene was really just Spongebob & Bubble Bass playing with their action figures. Squidward's line with this twist was hilarious, one of the funniest jokes I've seen in a long time. There were lots of other neat little details and gags sparkled throughout the episode, but it keeps a relatively calm mood.

One of the better parts of the episode has to be the ending. Squidward manages to successfully get his clarinet back. From whom? The Jellyfish! That was a neat little plot twist. I kind of wished it was Squilliam who stole it, but the Jellyfish plot twist was kind of unique and was something I hadn't thought about. The ending also makes Squdiward's actions worth it! He plays at a Jellyfish club, and all the Jellyfish adore his music. He's finally found an audience that adores his music after being constantly ridiculed by his town. This journey ultimately ended with him winning, and I must say, that's a very satisfying ending.

Overall, it's a Great Episode. One of my new favorites in the Season. I give it a 9.5/10.

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
Most popular shows have episodes like this - Rugrats, Fairly OddParents, the list goes on. I often find them to be "filler" episodes, when they lack an original idea, so they go full parody mode.

This one blew away every expectation I had.

This is genuinely my favorite episode in years - actual years - and that's largely due to humor and characterization.

I'm usually extremely picky about the newer episodes, but I really don't have any complaints here. The visual humor used here is pretty funny, nor does it overstay its welcome; and the dialouge humor? Phenomenal. This one really feels like a labor of love, and I applaud everyone involved. Excited to see what comes next for the show.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Well this was the episode that made me watch all of these new episodes in the first place, and thankfully it was pretty freaking good. Not quite as good as Feral Friends and Teacher's Pests. But still one of the best ones I've seen recently. And it lived up to all of my expectations.

First I must say thank Neptune Squidward was in character! He wasn't chasing after ice cream, he wasn't singing wacky songs about hating people, he wasn't getting enjoyment of SpongeBob and Patrick hurting each other. This was just a classic grumpy Squidward who's in a detective role and isn't taking people's shenanigans. The episode does an excellent job at capturing that noir look and plot with excellent atmosphere. This episode was really funny too with how SpongeBob and Squidward bounced off each other and the entire Bubble Bass sequence. I can't give this my highest praise since before it turned black and white I found the set-up to be kinda unfunny and annoying but everything else was great.

8/10

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I bet all of you wanted to hear my thoughts about this episode so geeeeeeeet reeeeeeeeeeeady

I thought this episode WAS... :DDDDDDDDDDDD

...pretty decent. It wasn't horrible of course, I really enjoyed the aesthetic and it felt like an episode I could watch again. That's a relief, I was worried for awhile that I wouldn't find it watchable. :P Squidward in here was good and good looking in his detective suit AW YEAH. I didn't really laugh at any jokes, but that isn't necessary for me since I can still enjoy an episode of anything if I don't laugh at it... it matters if it entertains me. I don't know what else to say besides it's nice aesthetic, Squidward in general and possibly him not having enough screentime. :sbface: Good job, SpongeBob crew. You did a fine job on a dream episode idea I've had for years.

You guys are saved from another Squidward rivalry.

I'm giving it around a 5.5...or a 6/10.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
President Squidward said:
ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy I bet all of you wanted to hear my thoughts about this episode so geeeeeeeet reeeeeeeeeeeady

I thought this episode WAS... :DDDDDDDDDDDD

...pretty decent. It wasn't horrible of course, I really enjoyed the aesthetic and it felt like an episode I could watch again. That's a relief, I was worried for awhile that I wouldn't find it watchable. :P Squidward in here was good and good looking in his detective suit AW YEAH. I didn't really laugh at any jokes, but that isn't necessary for me since I can still enjoy an episode of anything if I don't laugh at it... it matters if it entertains me. I don't know what else to say besides it's nice aesthetic, Squidward in general and possibly him not having enough screentime. :sbface: Good job, SpongeBob crew. You did a fine job on a dream episode idea I've had for years.

You guys are saved from another Squidward rivalry.

I'm giving it around a 5.5...or a 6/10.
Final score seems a little lenient if the aesthetic was that good and you don't mind not laughing at the jokes, I'd say that sounds more like a 7 :p

Back