222a. Krabby Patty Creature Feature

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Synposis - A new secret krabby patty formula has disatrous results for Bikini Bottom, and only Spongebob can save the day

Well that's a relief, it doesn't sound like it will be like The Motion Picture. I was worried about that.

Discuss this episode when it airs on October 21st!

LARRY22

Giant Clam
This episode reminded me of a classic horror movie, in a good way.
It's nice to see that the crew is coming up with new ideas, so I'll give it... an 8.5/10. I know that this review was short, but that's how it is with solid good episodes, not much to say because it's good in general, at least in my opinion.

Klu

Moby Dollar
Too much crazy facial expressions, but at least episode has actual substance and everything.
Honestly, I liked this episode kinda more than "The Legend of Boo-kini Bottom". This episode is kinda creepy, atmospheric and has many really good jokes.
No one is acted out of character, fast pace wasn't on the level of worst season 10 episodes, this episode actually focused.
Only one drawback - I found this gag where SpongeBob and Krabs were laughing a bit unnecessary.

9/10.
Season 11, so far, you doing great. :D

Uncle Sherm

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Loved this episode. An amazing horror movie-like plot here, and a lot of great gags (loved the police officer on break and Bubble Bass' appearance). Also, I think this episode was storyboard-driven, which is always a good thing, and it shows; there are some amazing visuals in this episode, in no small part due to Chris Allison and Ryan Kramer's amazing facial expressions (especially during the laughing gag).

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Wait, this episode aired after Teacher's Pests, so isn't this 222b? Or am I just completely wrong on this?

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
Not the funniest episode but definitely some of the best visuals in the show's history. I feel like I would appreciate the cartoony-ness more is the rest of season 10 and 11 weren't so cartoony. I got so many Fear of a Krabby Patty vibes from this which was awesome. I'm also really happy Chris and Ryan got writing credits, I wonder if this episode was boarded from outline like Don't Wake Patrick. I'll have to watch again to decide if I liked the episode as a whole, but I definitely enjoyed it based on animation alone. I'm normally not a fan of the super zany cartoony episodes recently but this one was so visually different from the rest of the series that it didn't bother me here. It's actually my favorite aspect of the episode tbh.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
LARRY22 said:
Wait, this episode aired after Teacher's Pests, so isn't this 222b? Or am I just completely wrong on this?
Yes it is, they were swapped at the time that I made these topics though. I'll fix it if I can.

Smitty

Part Computer or Something
If they made every episode this point forward as zany and wacky as this, it'd be a negative, but it isn't... so it's cool.
Anyway. I love where they went with the episode and how they created scenarios most of us always wanted to see in a SpongeBob episode.
It seemed liked they mocked itself at different points in the episode, just at how silly and simplistic it is.
The story seems way more focused and also more structured(like the rest of this Season 11 :thumb1: ).

As eBay feedback would say, A++++++

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
Title Cards HD (Uploaded by Me, ripped from iTunes HD):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POCaOC1F0G8

This episode has to be the scariest and creepiest of the post-sequel era, and the plot is actually out of this world, sure it's similar to other Krabby Patties Gone Wrong plot-driven episodes, but this one is more creative and it's own style in it's own way, Ryan and Chris did a great job adapting Kaz's outline into dialogue and amazing boards (they previously storyboarded Josh and Daniel's "Food Con Castaways" which is my favorite episode of Season 9b) and that's why i give this a 10/10.

This one was just okay to me. I'm a sucker for temporary apocalypse episodes and I enjoyed sort of some aspects of the episode but that's also kind of getting riresome at this point because this episode felt nothing new. We've seen how Sandy's science stuff making a krabby patty a device for chaos in The Krabby Patty that Ate Bikini Bottom and we've just seen people turning into monsters in Feral Friends, not the mention Once Bitten did it too. It's weird to me that this was done by three writers, yet premise and the execution are the same. The only difference I can say is that Sandy was the one that screwed everything up but I wish Mr. Krabs would call out Sandy on it and fire her, instead it all ended on same old Mr. Krabs telling people to eat at Krabby Patties. The beginning was also so overused. SpongeBob creating Krabby Patties with different styles is really getting old at this point and SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs stupid laugh felt like the show being aware of it using same thing but not being able to come up with anything else, so it using them randomly laughing and making silly faces and that was weird. Enough with the negativity, I did like some parts here like how patty zombie Jenkins was walking, Bubble Bass' cameo made me laugh and Karen saying "comsume me" was a nice chuckle. This wasn't like a bad episode or anything, It was fun at some aspects but it's the same stuff we've seen in this show and some of that annoyed me.

Grade: B-

J-444

Floating Shopping List
Well, then. I didn't expect the Legend of Boo-kini Bottom philosophy to extend to two episodes. This episode, as I see, proudly passes story to the back burner (in importance) to be much more of an experimental affair, with some of the most... not-of-its-kin animation in 2D Spongebob history. The best example of this is the entire section from when Mr. Krabs transforms to when Spongebob makes a beeline for the kitchen. The whole thing looks like Spongebob artistically, with the colors/lines/backgrounds, but the animation feels like a completely different set of animators took the helm - which really fits for how "off" and dark the episode was. If that is exactly what they were going for, bravo, Spongebob team - I legitimately got uncomfortable by how far the story was willing to take itself. (I'll cite the zombifications of both Perch Perkins and Karen here.)

I shall also note that - going back to it - the story's alright for what we got with the animation, but I could see the "chum is the cure" plot point coming a light-year away. In fact, I thought of it as soon as the Chum Bucket was introduced into the plot, with the tower of chum-bags acting as a dead giveaway. On the other hand, we have Bubble Bass' appearance, which I absolutely loved - even touching on the addition of pickles, which made my viewing.

All in all, I'll give this two scores - 6.5-7/10 for casual viewing, and 8-8.5/10 if you're looking for some horror, specifically. This is one freaky episode.

Growlie

Best Boy
Wow, I was dreading watching this episode but, it wasn't as bad as I first thought. And I think maybe because of it being another gross out, yet it wasn't as bad plus this episode has a good lesson too. Again, SpongeBob's the sane one, basically trying to explain the whole, "If its not Broken, Don't fix it!" I'm calling out those two fish in the beginning for demanding something new. Just eat your Patties, and shut up.;)

I do, however, kinda feel that we should've gotten a SpongeBob/Squidward team up. Because, you'd think that Squidward wouldn't eat that radioactive patty. And it didn't show it being shoved down his throat so, what was up with that? Did we miss something? Perhaps this should've been longer too, maybe like a special since I feel like it went by to fast to fill 11minutes.

What I found cool though, I seriously did have a fan idea "Almost" similar to this where something causes Krabby Patties to create Zombies. Granted, they weren't monstrosities like this where they're half sea creature half Patties, but they would force you to eat Krabby Patties. So this is almost like seeing one of my ideas coming to life. Which is cool. I might have to summarize this idea, on my "DeviantArt" though instead of here. Unless you really want that. Over all, this was bizarre yet not terrible. Again, another one for season 11. Good job.

Reactions: Reg

Loopers

Sportz?
I like the animation in this episode, but this episode felt mostly generic to me. Like WhoBob said, its usually the same things we've seen already but the episode was fun I guess

7/10

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
Alright so for hindsight, when this episode aired, it aired after "Teacher's Pests" even though this is the "A" episode and that is the "B" episode. So for this review, this is from the perspective of my first impressions, where I saw this episode afterwards. And all I can say is...

ARE THEY TRYING TO KILL ME HERE?!?!

That's a bolds-italics-underline! You know that is a sign of excitement.

So "Teacher's Pests" is already a fantastic episode worthy of that sweet sweet perfect score, then they go pair it with a dang MONSTER MOVIE EPISODE? That's like, a dream come true! Listen. Monster movie episodes, regardless of basis, are typically gonna get bonus points from me, because cheesy ol' monster movie B-movies are my jam even though I haven't seen like any of them. I need to see them sometime, because I'm sure they'd make these episodes even better. Only one monster movie episode prior, "It Came from Goo Lagoon" really didn't impress me, while the rest I easily fell in love with, especially "Planet of the Jellyfish" in Season 8. So combine that with all the things I love about Seasons 9B, 10, and 11... and you get "Krabby Patty Creature Feature."

So the episode starts off with a kinda lame gag about SpongeBob and Krabs laughing, but immediately afterwards takes a turn for the better, as we are introduced to this weird, lab-experiment Krabby Patty Mr. Krabs is working on when customers ask for something "new." Of course, Mr. Krabs cares more about the money than the wellbeing of his customers, so he serves the patties which turns everyone into patty zombies. Here's where we add more bonus points, because they get really inventive with the designs here. With Squidward forming his mouth from the bun-patty flap, Bubble Bass being some weird monster-triple patty, and so many more I just can't bear to mention, it keeps each new infection fresh while still keeping the theme consistent.

Know I'm going to be rambling a lot. I really like this episode.

So anyway, from here we see the patty zombies infecting a few people around town, which I think really does a good job showing just the sense of escalation in the episode. Bubble Bass gets a fantastic scene, while the policeman, Patrick, Norton, and others all get fairly entertaining moments as well. With SpongeBob being one of the few uninfected people left, he looks for shelter and a cure, but the how dire the situation gets culminates in a hilarious gag, where SpongeBob tries to hide until "it all passes over" only for the entire city to be on fire moments later. I actually had to pause the episode just to catch my laughter at that gag.

Another point I have to bring up is the animation. Listen, the animation in general on SpongeBob has been stellar as of late, so mentioning animation in an episode is a little redundant, but I gotta say, this is one of the most well-animated episodes period. Even the laughing gag at the beginning, probably the low-point of the episode, still gets fairly inventive with how it's handled, and after that it only gets better. The patty transformation sequences are very fluid, and while disturbing, never get so disturbing that the comedic value of everyone turning into humongous sandwiches is lost, while the panic in SpongeBob's expressions is just fantastically done. Some of these expressions could probably compete with Courage the Cowardly Dog here.

Okay so enough rambling. I think that it's obvious which score I'm giving this episode. While at first I was debating it, after thinking back on all the positives, there is nothing I can give this episode less than the ol' perfect score:
FIRST IMPRESSIONS: 10/10

Which means that if my first impressions for "Teacher's Pests" and "Krabby Patty Creature Feature" both hold up... I think this may be the first time in the entire series I've seen two of my favorite episodes paired together, which is quite the rarity. There have been 9-9 or 9-10 pairs in the past, but I think a 10-10 pair has never been seen before. I understand why an episode like this might not be everyone's taste. It's a little disturbing, and frankly a bit gross at times, but for a fan of the ol' weird horror SpongeBob episodes, this ultimately has to be an all-time favorite for me.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
Wow. 3 writers for the first time since season 9B. It felt like it's been ages since we got one now that SpongeBob is board-driven. It also saw the return of Chris Allison and Ryan Kramer, who storyboarded Food Con Castaways. These days, Chris works at JG Quintel's new show Close Enough (see his social media accounts), while Ryan works on the Ben 10 reboot. Before that, they both met each other for the Toonhole comic and were storyboard partners of the last 2 seasons of Uncle Grandpa. Anyway, I thought it was a very good good episode. Ok, that beginning with SB and Krabs was just there to fill in the plot and it went on for 30 seconds. I'm surprised Squidward didn't stopped them...since they laughed in front in him. Plus the faces just freaked me out and it gave a Face Freeze vibe. Thankfully Kramer and Allison went more on an UG vibe to their drawings with a bunch of good-usage of off-model. Off-model in post-sequel had been overused since season 10 and it had gotten to the point where it's just there to remind you that the show now feels like a Ren and Stimpy clone. Thankfully like Food Con, they made it feel like an Uncle Grandpa episode with horror genre involved. Sandy's involvement might been used for scientistic purposes, but it was nice seeing her. Any episodes that features majority of the main/supporting cast will get a very high rating for me. Did I forgot to tell you the title card made me hungry? There's title cards like that before (Krusty Dogs), but this is the most delicious looking title card ever. And I actually ate burgers that weekend. Oh, and it was nice to see Bubble Bass once more and he actually made a reference to his very first appearance. Yes, he did bring up the pickles and I thought it was one of the most clever callbacks. All in all, this is a great episode that is basically Fear of a Krabby Patty and The Krabby Patty that Ate Bikini Bottom.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
This was a very surprising episode. I honestly didn't expect to enjoy this episode as much as I did, I think is a pretty good episode. First off, let's talk about the plot. This is a fantastic parody of a classic zombie apocalypse. The whole concept of these new Krabby Patties that turns you into Krabby Patty Monsters was really interesting, and is definitely different from a standard SpongeBob plot. I really like how the staff produced a handful of Halloween-based episodes, rather than just one single special, because the whole Halloween theme allows them to produce stranger, more outlandish plots that you wouldn't find in a typical SpongeBob episode. And this episode perfectly took advantage of being a Halloween episode by incorporating a zombie survival-esque style. We've seen these survival episodes before, but I don't think we've ever seen one presented in such a way this episode's conflict is presented. This apocalypse goes fast, and soon enough, SpongeBob is the only survivor. He's on his own, he has no help, and limited resources, not to mention the change that occurs to Bikini Bottom seems rather permanent (Goodness, the plague could spread all over the sea, and not just affect Bikini Bottom). This time the enemy isn't something physical like the whelks or the giant Krabby Patty, but rather a plague that seems unstopable. The stakes are much higher when you think about in this episode. So this conflict comes across as the series' own twist on an apocalypse like scenario, only this time, with no fake-out (Like Gone which is kind of like an apocalypse aftermath).

So is the conflict executed properly? I'd say, yes and no. It's entertaining enough, the animation in this episode is fantastic, and really livens things up. I must this is probably one of the best episodes, visually, out of the Post-Prequel era. It's half the fun in this episode, it's not like the characters are constantly bouncing around, or flailing their arms in the air. There's a lot of exaggerated faces in this episode, some which could give Face Freeze a run for it's money. The designs of the mutant Krabby Monsters are awesome too, they all seem to have some sort of unique feature making each stand out from the rest, which makes the scenes even more exciting to look at. I really loved the Old Man Jenkins monster, that was pretty cute. And don't think the episode is fast-paced all the way through, oh no, there are definitely breathers in this episode. Particularly with the scenes involving (What I can only assume is a spoof on millenials? They're too old looking to be teens, they look like they're characters in their early 20's, especially the fish with the small beard) and Krabs.

The animation and creative spoof on zombie apocalypses are definitely the highlight of the episode, but what about the bad parts of the episode?

Well, the set-up to the conflict has been done in various episodes before. Krusty Dogs, Chum Bucket Supreme, you name it. The whole "Bored with Krabby Patties, and wanting something new" has been overdone at this point in the series. I'm really glad the conflict shifted away from the standard climax of these types of plotlines, in which SpongeBob is the only one who believes the Krusty Krab should stick with the traditional Krabby Patty, and it shouldn't be tampered with. Goodness, the ending of this episode where SpongeBob sums this up felt like the resolution of a majority of these "tampering with the formula" episodes. Thank goodness the episode focused on a more chaotic, sci-fi like problem, rather than resorting to being a Krusty Dogs ripoff, because that would be disastrous. There definitely should've been at the very least some kind of ending that didn't rehash the typical lesson of these episodes (Like Free Samples, Le Big Switch, Selling Out, and even Bossy Boots to an extent).

Aside from these issues, I didn't necessarily find this episode to be that funny. There might've been a few jokes that made me chuckle here and there, but the animation is where I found most the amusement in this episode. The plot twist that Chum could cure the disease was super predictable though, I must say they should've went for a more unique, alternate solution to causing the problem. Oh well, at least they didn't pull the absorbency of SpongeBob resolution for the fourth time.

Overall, despite it's flaws, Krabby Patty Creature Feature is a delightful episode, one I definitely recommend checking out. The plot is fun to watch (It's like the events of Fear of a Krabby Patty actually taking place), the animation is fantastic, all of the characters are perfectly written in character, and it's just an overall silly twist on the stereotypical zombie apocalypse (How many times have I said that in this review?).

It's a Good Episode.

I give it an 8/10.

kingseye423

Flying Dutchman's Sock
This episode did the gross out humor right! I mean everything was done good! The jokes were pretty good as well (Bubble Bass going "Really, Krabs?" when Mr. Krabs transformed to a Krabby Patty with 'Crab Legs', for example)

8.3/10

TheHallMonitor52

Imitation Krab
Pretty great episode that reminds me of season 8 the krabby patty that ate bikini bottom and planet of the jellyfish, the animation is pretty clever and that ending with patrick i did not expected and was surprised. one of the only problems with the episode is that it is not THAT funny, but the animation and story make up for it

8/10 it is a great episode for season 11

Back