21b. Squid's Day Off

A nice way to start off season 2. Squidward being in charge of the Krusty Krab and using it to take the day off is a good idea, and they executed it well. That's pretty much it. Except that it's not. This episode isn't perfect, and I do have two gripes about it. For one, it would have been nice if we could have seen more of Squid relaxing and then having become worried over a period of time instead of it being all thrown at you at once. And two, the ending is just a slap in the face. But other than that, great episode.

SpongeBronyPH

Giant Clam
Episode: Squid's Day-off (S2-E21-B)

I LOVE THIS ONE! I remember this episode when I was a child. My favorite scene is the Krusty Krab on FIRE! I laugh a lot here.

Final Score = 10/10 :1st: :whoo:

Combusto82

Does this look unsure to you?
10/10

i like the end of a episode where Squidward's head deflated as Spongebob tell him that they forget change the sign from closed to OPEN!! haha!

This episode is really funny. I think this episode is a really great one in Season 2. While not the best of the season, Squid's Day Off is an episode that excels in comedy, has a great story, and the execution was great as well. All in all that makes for a good episode

Ranking so far:
1. Squid's Day Off (A)
2. Your Shoe's Untied (B)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
This one is really funny. There are lots of memorable quotes, and seeing Squidward go insane was super entertaining. Not much else to say, just a really great episode.

Great episode (9/10)

1. Squid's Day Off (9)

2. Your Shoe's Untied (6)

spunchbop444

Squidward's Clarinet
9.5/10
This is an HILARIOUS episode. I laughed a bunch at the imaginary things that might happen if Squidward's not at the Krusty Krab. This is a really memorable episode too, I can probably remember almost all of the scenes off of the top of my head. I also really like the beginning and I found the end hilarious.

Squids Day Off: (9.5/10)
Your Shoes Untied: (9/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Way better than its sister! I like the plot and the gags are nice the animation is good and the ending! LOL!

Final Rating: Tolerant

Rankings:
Squid's Day Off (Tolerant)
Your Shoe's Untied (Dull)

GlitchyGoomba

Bomb-Selling Pirate
I love Squidward in this episode. Not only is it funny to see him care so much about stuff he THINKS Spongebob could be causing while working the cash register, but it also makes him a pretty good authority figure, which is pretty sweet to see. This episode is also loaded with memorable quotes, creative uses of animation, and very good visual gags.

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
*sniffs* Do a smell a...classic? Yeah yeah yeah I use that word all the time but I mean it! This episode is another one of those ones that's very nostalgic for me, and I don't need that nostalgia to see that this is a great, fun episode. Honestly, season 2 went off with having two back-to-back banger episodes like this. Let's talk about it.

"Squid's Day Off" is one of those episodes where it takes a couple minutes to set up what will be the majority of the episode. In this case, the set up is the hilarious scene in which Mr. Krabs shows his...frugality. The episode doesn't quite reel me in until Mr. Krabs shows up, which is perfectly fine given it only takes a minute or so for that to happen. And speaking of Mr. Krabs, he's excellent in this episode even if he isn't a major focus. This beginning scene with him is just too funny, with some great word play ("I can think of ten good reasons never to let go of a dime"). I also like the animation of him pushing Squidward out of the way to get to the money, I just think that's so funny. And then skipping ahead a bit, Mr. Krabs' stoicism and utter doneness in the face of Squidward's breakdown is just hilarious.

Moving on to the real star of this episode, Squidward's just fantastic. But before I get to that I wanted to give a shoutout to both SpongeBob for similarly being great in this episode, and the whole Squidward-SpongeBob dynamic which drives the plot forward. SpongeBob is his usual enthusiastic self, and I like how Squidward's breakdown involves something we've already gotten elements of being in character for SpongeBob, which is his trolling side (see: "Fools in April" and "SpongeBob Meets The Strangler"). And props to Tom Kenny and the sound editors for managing to make the same line not sound annoying after our 10th or so time hearing it.

Okay, back to Squidward. Man does he shine in this episode. This is the first "proper" Squidward freak out to me, although we've definitely gotten close before ("Employee of the Month" almost gets it, but it doesn't have the Squidward flair. No shrill screaming, complete loss of sanity, all of that). And man, does it deliver. Squidward running around essentially naked in his attempt to prove that SpongeBob left his post in a clear example of projection is absolutely hilarious, and it is preceded by some great build up as Squidward slowly starts to lose it. The comedown from the breakdown is great as well, as Squidward starts to regain his senses, and later when Squidward completely just falls to the ground in defeat. It's funny, Squidward doesn't say anything, we simply get an excellently-drawn animation, and we can all generally understand just what Squidward is feeling in that moment. What an ending.

I have no qualms with this episode, other than maybe the first minute being slow, and I find it to be utterly hilarious. For these reasons, I believe it has well-earned its spot on my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.4/10

Last edited:

meko1432

Happiest Sponge Alive
*sniffs* Do a smell a...classic? Yeah yeah yeah I use that word all the time but I mean it! This episode is another one of those ones that's very nostalgic for me, and I don't need that nostalgia to see that this is a great, fun episode. Honestly, season 2 went off with having two back-to-back banger episodes like this. Let's talk about it.

"Squid's Day Off" is one of those episodes where it takes a couple minutes to set up what will be the majority of the episode. In this case, the set up is the hilarious scene in which Mr. Krabs shows his...frugality. The episode doesn't quite reel me in until Mr. Krabs shows up, which is perfectly fine given it only takes a minute or so for that to happen. And speaking of Mr. Krabs, he's excellent in this episode even if he isn't a major focus. This beginning scene with him is just too funny, with some great word play ("I can think of ten good reasons never to let go of a dime"). I also like the animation of him pushing Squidward out of the way to get to the money, I just think that's so funny. And then skipping ahead a bit, Mr. Krabs' stoicism and utter doneness in the face of Squidward's breakdown is just hilarious.

Moving on to the real star of this episode, Squidward's just fantastic. But before I get to that I wanted to give a shoutout to both SpongeBob for similarly being great in this episode, and the whole Squidward-SpongeBob dynamic which drives the plot forward. SpongeBob is his usual enthusiastic self, and I like how Squidward's breakdown involves something we've already gotten elements of being in character for SpongeBob, which is his trolling side (see: "Fools in April" and "SpongeBob Meets The Strangler"). And props to Tom Kenny and the sound editors for managing to make the same line not sound annoying after our 10th or so time hearing it.

Okay, back to Squidward. Man does he shine in this episode. This is the first "proper" Squidward freak out to me, although we've definitely gotten close before ("Employee of the Month" almost gets it, but it doesn't have the Squidward flair. No shrill screaming, complete loss of sanity, all of that). And man, does it deliver. Squidward running around essentially naked in his attempt to prove that SpongeBob left his post in a clear example of projection is absolutely hilarious, and it is preceded by some great build up as Squidward slowly starts to lose it. The comedown from the breakdown is great as well, as Squidward starts to regain his senses, and later when Squidward completely just falls to the ground in defeat. It's funny, Squidward doesn't say anything, we simply get an excellently-drawn animation, and we can all generally understand just what Squidward is feeling in that moment. What an ending.

I have no qualms with this episode, other than maybe the first minute being slow, and I find it to be utterly hilarious. For these reasons, I believe it has well-earned its spot on my "Amazing" tier.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score: 9.3/10
Everytime someone mentions season 2, they talk about band geeks and forget great episodes like this

Back