219a. Man Ray Returns

...You know you're stating a REALLY unpopular opinion, right?!
I'm sorry he has a different opinion. Wah wah wah. I know couple of others who really don't like this episode as well. Not that unpopular but still it's their opinion. Can you just stop expecting people to accept that all episodes are great? Because all of them are not.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Looking at the episode discussion, it is interesting how the opinions are so lopsided of this. It's like The Great Snail race's opinions, a lot of people really like that episode but a lot of people hated it. And very few people put it in the middle. Overall though, more people love it than hate it. Same thing here. It's interesting.

Personally, I thought this episode was hilarious and not even slightly annoying, although I can kinda understand why somebody would find it annoying (although I disagree with that). What DOES confuse me though is that the people hating this don't seem to mind Mermaid Pants though, which kinda confuses me since this episode and that episode are very similar, and Spongebob and Patrick act the same way in both.
RomNick said:
...You know you're stating a REALLY unpopular opinion, right?!
So? Not everyone is going to have the same opinion, even if you disagree with it.

The Real Nostalgia Critic

toby j rathjen is a monkey
It's funny how most of the opinions of this episode on here oppose the ones on SBC, where most opinions on there seem to be negative. As much as I don't really watch the new episodes anymore, I decided to watch this one out of curiosity. Was it really as bad as they say it is?

Well, I wasn't very impressed at all. It just felt like an episode where SpongeBob and Patrick do more WACKEE ANTICS that come off more annoying than funny. I can tell that they were aiming to make it some kind of Bugs Bunny plot but here's the thing. Most of Bugs' enemies usually come up with a plot to kill, hunt, or capture him. It would make sense for Bugs Bunny to fight them. In the SpongeBob episode, Man Ray acts genuinely innocent but SpongeBob and Patrick still assume he does bad things because he's a villain. It feels more like that scene in Shuffleboarding where they fight Man Ray in the laundromat (a scene I didn't even find funny in the first place) extended to 11 minutes. MAYBE if Man Ray pretended to turn a new leaf like Plankton did in New Leaf or if, at least, Barnacle Boy phoned the two warning them that Man Ray was carrying out some kind of plan, it would make sense for them to fight. But no, SpongeBob and Patrick fight him because "he's a villain so he's evil and therefore, will never change". I dunno, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

So yeah, I know my opinion is unpopular on here but I still stand by it. I didn't like this episode one bit.

1/10

This episode was great! This really felt like a direct sequel to Mermaid Pants. Most of the jokes were great, the plot was great, everything was great. This was a nice watch.

THE LIST:
1. Man Ray Returns (A+)
2. Spin The Bottle (A)
3. There's A Sponge In My Soup (B)
4. Spot Returns (B)
5. Cave Dwelling Sponge (B)
6. The Clam Whisperer (C)
7. The Check-Up (D)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This is the one post-sequal episode that is in my top ten. Better yet, this is in my top 3! This episode has absolutely hilarious action, and is one of the most entertaining episodes in the entire series. There is so much humor I can't even list all of it, and Man Ray's appearance was fantastic.

Amazing Episode (10.5/10)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Next up, we’ve got “Man Ray Returns”, another one of the episodes that keep the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy dream alive. I loved “Mermaid Pants”, so I’m excited for this episode. I’ve always liked Man Ray, and the only episode that he was in that I didn’t like very much was “Super Evil Aquatic Villain Team-Up is Go!”, so I think that I’m right to still be confident in this episode’s chances before I rewatch it. God, I forgot what a mouthful that episode’s title was.

The episode begins with SpongeBob and Patrick playing crime fighters, and they’re so cute doing it. Well, perhaps cute isn’t the right word…they’re endearing. Yeah, maybe that’s more like it. Anyway, this little part of the episode is amusing, especially with the random grandma who bites Patrick’s wallet and hops away (so random, I love it). This is the kind of lean towards child on the child-adult line I like to see, because SpongeBob and Patrick engage in child-like behavior while still being unambiguously adults. And this is important, so I guess I’ll just go on this whole tangent for a minute. See, that’s the difference between an episode like this one and one like “Squid Baby” or “Yours Mine and Mine”. The child side of the child-adult line is charming when SpongeBob and co. are more connecting with an inner child, rather than literally being a child, because it furthers the show’s constant product of promoting fostering your inner child. Episodes like these portray the child-like behavior as some adults having fun with their friends, it feels healthy and like something older watchers could actually do. Episodes that don’t do this are almost always the ones that lean towards the child side with little to no finesse. And they typically aren’t even that funny either. Okay, tangent over, back to the episode.

SpongeBob and Patrick see Squidward leaving his house with bags packed, assuming that he’s moving away, and they both funnily try to convince him not to leave. And then we get a funny gag with the two acting like “brainless bottom feeders”. This scene is so fun and expressive, I really enjoyed it. As Squidward leaves, he tells SpongeBob and Patrick that he’s renting his house out to someone while he’s gone, and in no uncertain terms, to not bother the guest. I’m sure you can guess what happens next. Yep, the guest is Man Ray, swathed in that vacation drip, decidedly not up to any evil activities (even arguing with the narrator about it). You know, I like to think that every Man Ray appearance where he isn’t being evil the whole time comes after “Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III”. It’s funnier that way. SpongeBob and Patrick don’t realize that the guest is Man Ray at first, and so they want to recruit Man Ray for their crime fighting group. Utilizing some visually interesting sneaky methods, they try to recruit Man Ray, somehow not realizing that he’s Man Ray quite yet. But their obliviousness is funny here. Finally, some obliviousness comedy that actually amuses me!

Of course, the obliviousness doesn’t last long. SpongeBob goes to directly ask Man Ray if he could be part of the crime fighters, and he realizes that Man Ray is, in fact, Man Ray. So SpongeBob and Patrick high-tail it out of there. And, to my surprise, they go straight to Shady Shoals! I was not expecting a Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy appearance, like at all. I thought we were going the route of The Simpsons when it came to retiring characters. But nope, cryogenically frozen Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy…sure, why not? Anyway, since Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are otherwise indisposed, it’s up to SpongeBob and Patrick to “save the day”. We then get an adorable, wholesome, and lowkey touching because of the meaning behind it, recreation (but a new rendition) of the Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy unite scene from “Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy”, and off the two go.

SpongeBob and Patrick’s bumbling attempts at being heroes is cute, and again, endearing. It’s a lot different than “Shuffleboarding”. Not to say that this episode is better than that one (at least not just for this reason), as the two episodes have different aims, just pointing this out. The two sneak into Squidward’s house so they can get the drop on Man Ray. But they’re not very good at being stealthy, and Man Ray is alerted to the presence of intruders in his temporary home. We then get a pretty funny joke with Man Ray about to call the cops before he realizes that wait a second, he’s a villain, and villains don’t call the police. But because he’s on vacation, he doesn’t have any weapons on him. Whatever is a vacationing supervillain to do?

Turns out, the answer is fight who he thinks are the mutated Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. Which means we get the kind of hammy action scene I’ve come to love from these kinds of episodes, full of quips, cool action shots, and fun backgrounds. And the destruction of Squidward’s house and belongings in the process. Well…Man Ray certainly won’t be getting that security deposit back. The fight moves to the roof, where it gets even more wonderfully cliched and tropey. And the forces of good and evil are about to clash climactically…until they’re both scared by the thunder and lightning haha. And at that moment, Man Ray gets a call from Squidward that he’s heading back early because of inclement weather, and that Man Ray will get a full refund…as long as there’s no damage. RIP Man Ray. Except I should actually be turning that sentiment over to Squidward, as Man Ray gave Squidward a phony check! Never trust a supervillain Squidward. At least SpongeBob and Patrick commit to fixing up Squidward’s house. And they seemingly do a good job…until Squidward shuts the door. Like I said Squidward, never trust a supervillain.

"Man Ray Returns” is an excellent follow-up to “Mermaid Pants”. In fact, it’s so excellent that I feel that this episode is even more entertaining than that one. It’s just hilarious all the way through, uses the trope-y humor quite well, and is just very delightful visually. Nothing bad to say about this one here. Definitely this season’s strongest entry so far.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.5/10

Back