217b. The Checkup

Klu

Moby Dollar
I'm conflcted on this one. On one hand - majority of gags are truly hilarious, but on another - visuals of Mr.Krubs getting hurt are really unappealing. Almost on one level with season 6 or 7.
So I don't even know how to rate this episode.

Squidy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
The fast food restaurant that only sick people eat
Not at all in my top 100. I dislike this episode because it's pointless and very boring. Sadly it's a SCUMBOB. Yeah the lame joke at the end was not funny. Just like The Clam Whisper don't put Mr. Krabs greed in it. So the rating is a 4.5/10. I think the adult joke was funny (Mr. Krabs snapping of the baby's head.) So not a meh episode but close.

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
Lots of Mr. Krabs abuse coming your way if you were to watch this, although it's unlikely many of you would complain. Anyways, weak beginning (I seem to say this for most of them) but it got more interesting because we saw SpongeBob and Squidward bonding yet again trying to help their boss (and I am one of those people who never tires of their cute relationship and Squiddy saying 'Don't call me that'.). Gross in places, yeah. Cartoons made more realistic, essentially. But not terrible. Pretty good, actually. Plus I love Mr. Lawrence's performance as Larry, more so than his Plankton, because he always makes him sound so cool and the sort of person you'd have a crush on.
:)

If I thought Spot Returns was overrated, this episode was a long time coming. I really hate how SpongeBob and Squidward give Mr. Krabs a "check up" because he wouldn't do a regular one. Apparently SpongeBob doesn't know what a check up is, so he screws everything up. I can't imagine the pain Mr. K must have been going through. Worst of the season thus far.

THE LIST:
1. Spot Returns (B)
2. Cave Dwelling Sponge (B)
3. The Clam Whisperer (C)
4. The Check-Up (D)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
This episode is really funny, especially the ending. Most of SpongeBob and Squidward's attempts to get Mr. Krabs to take his check-up were interesting and the ending was amazing.

Great Episode (8/10)

lenniebg

Baby Clam
I dunno about you guys, but I started losing it when SpongeBob came out dressed as a hippie.

Sara SquarePants

Lover of Spongie
The beginning of the episode was kinda...inappropriate (like HOW did Nickelodeon actually okay that?) otherwise the episode is very relatable to people who hate getting their physicals, like me and I like the different disguises Squidward & SpongeBob wore when they were tricking Mr. Krabs into getting his check-up

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Ah, “The Check-Up”. Just another fun little episode from season 11. I don’t really have anything to say in my intro, other than I remember this episode very well because I’ve rewatched it a lot, and that it’s just a good, solid episode full of lots of slapstick and funny jokes otherwise.

The plot of “The Check-Up” is very simple: Mr. Krabs is afraid of getting his yearly check-up, and so Squidward and SpongeBob have to figure out a way to get him to do it or the Krusty Krab will be closed down. With a simple plot like this, you know there’s gotta be a lotta jokes, and this episode delivers. I’m choosing to think that the gag with Mr. Krabs eating his arms at the beginning was a reference to “Graveyard Shift”. I also just like that it’s Mr. Krabs who is the scared one, rather than SpongeBob. Squidward would’ve also been a fine choice too. But having this seemingly no-nonsense character be afraid of just a little doctor’s appointment is funny to me, and I’m sure that’s the point of choosing Mr. Krabs for this role in the first place. SpongeBob having lots of fun in his check-up is also cute, and even though we all know that this show has no continuity to speak of, I choose to believe that this is set after “Suds”.

Squidward’s check-up is short and sweet. I like how the ink test is basically just a urine test LMAO. Though that does raise a lot of questions for the times Squidward’s inked before…but oh well. After Squidward comes Mr. Krabs, who bolts from the scene immediately. I love how when the nurse explains that the Krusty Krab will be closed if Mr. Krabs doesn’t have his check-up, Squidward’s the one who tries to reason with her at first. I know that he canonically only cares about his paycheck, but I’d like to think after 11 seasons of working at this place, he likes the Krusty Krab, even in secret. SpongeBob comes up with the idea of giving Mr. Krabs his check-up themselves, and the nurse gives them the weekend to do it. Commence the shenanigans of trying to give Mr. Krabs a check-up without him knowing about it!

As Mr. Krabs walks around town (which is designed very well in this episode I must say), Squidward and SpongeBob try to secretly give him his check-up by luring him to places with the promise of money or free things. And all of these attempts end with Mr. Krabs quite maimed, so a lot of the humor here comes from slapstick. The x-ray one was especially funny to me. All of SpongeBob’s disguises were great too, especially because of all the different voices he had to put on. Finally, after the massage fiasco, Mr. Krabs becomes aware of what’s going on, and he fails the final test, just like he’s been failing every test. SpongeBob declares that he and Squidward will get Mr. Krabs in shape so that he can pass the test on Monday. This, uh, doesn’t work. It does provide hilarious slapstick and visual gags though.

So what is the Krusty Krab to do? How can they trick the nurse into thinking Mr. Krabs is the perfect specimen? Well…turns out the answer is Larry! Hilariously affecting Mr. Krabs’ manner of speech and laugh as well. And then when Larry comes out asking for his payment, Mr. Krabs is gone like the wind. Absolutely hilarious.

One last thing I like in this episode is the animation and art style. I know lately some of the art style was putting me off, but really all of season 11 so far has been looking pretty good. Let’s see if it will stay that way, because I don’t want a repeat of the disappointment of season 10. Not that season 10 at its worst was even that bad, but you know how it is.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

Back