214b. Out of the Picture

TheCrunchyPudding00 said:
I LOVED THIS EPISODE. But from the moment the plot started i knew all the Mr. Enter fans and other oversensitive members of this fandom would hate it. First off, Mr. Krabs is not trying to KILL Squidward. He states in the episode that he is trying to send squidward on deliveries to get him away long enough to sell his paintings. A little dark humor never hurt anyone. However, the constant deliveries squidward went on were pretty bland imo. Not very intresting. The highlight of the episode would definatly be the beinging with peoples over the top reactions to Squidwards painting. Very funny episode but still flawed in some aspects.

7/10
Mr. Krabs wasn't trying to kill Squidward up until the end. That is handled comedically but still.

TheCrunchyPudding00

Part Computer or Something
Mr. Krabs wasn't trying to kill Squidward up until the end. That is handled comedically but still.

Yeah, with a large cartoony mallet. As you said, this is ment to be comeidic and really should not betaken seriously. So it really doesnt have a negitive effect on the episode. Spongebob has handled topics like this before and I find it hypocrittical when people criticize this episode and then say nothing about epiodes like Nasty Patty, which involves the characters attemping to litterally hide a corpse from police.

TheCrunchyPudding00 said:
Yeah, with a large cartoony mallet. As you said, this is ment to be comeidic and really should not betaken seriously. So it really doesnt have a negitive effect on the episode. Spongebob has handled topics like this before and I find it hypocrittical when people criticize this episode and then say nothing about epiodes like Nasty Patty, which involves the characters attemping to litterally hide a corpse from police.
I mean RK explained it above. It's just it's not gonna be everybody's cup of tea.

Smaher

Moby Dollar
President Squidward said:
^ lmao spongebob fans like these are why I don't bother giving thoughts about spongebob that much anymore

I mean, RK's reasons are completely valid as they can get. What more do you want from him?
They're nitpicky. Which was my whole point, that I repeated twice. I don't want anything from him, because I already made my point clear, and valid, too.

Hudgegratskid said:
Squidward isn't ALWAYS the butt of the joke; Squidville immediately comes to mind.. sure, he starts off in a less than ideal situation, but he gets what he wants (and comedically enough, grows tired of it). Wouldn't you dislike being hurt and abused all the time by your so-called "friends"? I personally enjoy seeing Squidward being treated as both a protagonist and antagonist, because that's REALLY what he is, the man (or Squid, whatever) in the middle.. really depends on the situation. The show TREATS HIM like the butt of every joke, and that might possibly be why you see him in that light. They've been doing it since the beginning, but have definitely am0ed it up since later in season 4.
Sure. But I didn't say Squidward was _always_ the butt of a joke. Just that he was, in general. Just like in Squidville. He's still the butt of the joke, because the irony was on him, and the point of the episode was for the idea to fall on him. And doesn't Squidward technically get want in OOTP? At the end he literally says it. And he's never actually harmed by Mr. Krabs. And even when Squidward gets sent away, he comes back basically unaffected. The only real problem facing him was what the fish implied, and what Mr. Krabs tried to do to him at the end.

Wouldn't you dislike being hurt and abused all the time by your so-called "friends"?
This is a cartoon where the miserable, yet vein character, gets made fun of. But even so, like I said, he still didn't get it that bad, or even as bad, as he would in most episodes. The only major thing is the idea of killing of Squidward. Which is as bad as it gets.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I really don't understand the whole, "If someone doesn't like it, let them dislike it." No one's forcing them not to. But I am allowed to see how the criticisms don't make sense.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
I know I'm probably the one who started the negative trend (Primarily due to my review being a lot more in-depth), I believe the main reason why Krabs trying to kill Squidward in the end doesn't work, is because it's not funny. I didn't find any humor in it at all. It was just a cliche cartoon sequence, that wasn't done with originality, and felt rushed. If it was funny, like when SpongeBob & Krabs tried to kill the Health Inspector, in Nasty Patty, then, it'd be a good sequence, but it simply isn't, since I can't find anything funny coming out of that sequence.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
Another episode that had very mixed reviews. Some people seems to enjoy it, while some are just appalled at it, especially how Mr Krabs was written here. I'm apparently more mixed in this one. Yes, I can see the problem especially the fact it's a Ben Gruber episode, but this episode didn't make me hate him. He's still my least favorite post-sequel writer due to his episodes having a mean-spirited, hyperactive, fast pacing tone to them and this episode and others besides Unreal Estate are no stranger to his writing style. Krabs was greedy than usual, while he's the worst part of this episode, Squidward and SpongeBob are the more likable characters here. Ok, Squidward did shoved his paintings down the customers' throats, and I guess karma hits him in the head in the end, as well as for destroying the Krusty Krab. Aside from the ending, the best thing to come out of this episode was the return of Rock Bottom. I did not see it coming. It's a 17 year gap between the last time it appeared on the show (not counting the games). Pacing should have been slower...but overall it gets a OKAY TIER, knowing how I was fearing the worst. I still think some parts were funny, like the Mars scene, ending, and a few others.

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 10

Episode: Out of the Picture

This episode was good. The plot was really nice. The return of Rock Bottom was so amazing and gave me a nostalgic feeling. There were some funny jokes. 7.5/10

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Yes, that's because unlike Squidward trying to kill SP in The Lost Mattress, it was actually executed in a funny manner. This episode, there's nothing funny about it. If the scene with Krabs trying to kill Squidward was funny, then I wouldn't mind it. But, it's just boring, and feels really forced. Plus, Squidward didn't want to directly kill SP, he merely just wanted to have him harmed, after he was injured. It was done in a comedic way, that this episode lacked. It's not as terrible as One Course Meal, but Krabs is just as unlikable in my personal opinion. Also, in SOoW, Squid was supposed to be an antagonist during that part of the movie, as was Krabs, Patrick, and everyone else in Bikini Bottom. It wasn't supposed to be funny, but this scene in this episode is supposed to be funny, and fails to make me laugh.

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
McSponge said:
Yes, that's because unlike Squidward trying to kill SP in The Lost Mattress, it was actually executed in a funny manner. This episode, there's nothing funny about it. If the scene with Krabs trying to kill Squidward was funny, then I wouldn't mind it. But, it's just boring, and feels really forced. Plus, Squidward didn't want to directly kill SP, he merely just wanted to have him harmed, after he was injured. It was done in a comedic way, that this episode lacked. It's not as terrible as One Course Meal, but Krabs is just as unlikable in my personal opinion. Also, in SOoW, Squid was supposed to be an antagonist during that part of the movie, as was Krabs, Patrick, and everyone else in Bikini Bottom. It wasn't supposed to be funny, but this scene in this episode is supposed to be funny, and fails to make me laugh.
Oh, Squidward absolutely wanted him ripped to shreds. The reason it isn't horryfying is because nothing goes Squidward's way.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Right, this is what helps make it funny. Nothing goes Squidward's way, and he's always stuck getting the pain and suffering, even when he tried to harm SpongeBob. Not to mention, he was the one who shipped the mattress to the dump, which makes the humor even more ironic. Whereas, Krabs only wants to harm Squidward just to earn back money on useless paintings.

the sb writers should sue lamo house for ripping this episode off

Just because they have the same title, doesn't mean it is a rip off.

Anyway I don't have much to say about the episode. I did like Spongebob helping Squidward and sticking up for him. Was also nice to see Rock Bottom again.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
This episode was just unpleasant to watch. I had no problem with the plot, I just didn't find any of it entertaining or funny. I understand why people like this episode but I am not one of those people.

Hahahahahahahaha Mr Krabs wants to murder Squidward for a profit because he's a greedy Jew hahahahaahahahahahahahaha everything is so wacky xD xD xD

Actually, no, it's horrible and a departure from the first three seasons. 0/10

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Killer Queen said:
Hahahahahahahaha Mr Krabs wants to murder Squidward for a profit because he's a greedy Jew hahahahaahahahahahahahaha everything is so wacky xD xD xD

Actually, no, it's horrible and a departure from the first three seasons. 0/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1SVG66rKTM

Mr. Krabs' season 3 characterization gets way too much slack.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I should mention that I've changed my mind on this episode a bit. Mr. Krabs' behavior never became dark or unpleasant to watch due to the fact he never tries to kill Squidward (Although the ending of the episode hinders that) and the comedic timing is much better than a lot of season 10's stuff. I'm bumping this up to a 7/10 even if it can get repetitive.

When episodes like Sportz, Code Yellow, and Patrick's Coupon are in this season I'm surprised by how this is singled-out as the worst.

Edit: Still way better than garbage like Sportz and Code Yellow but this episode is still another average season 10 episode, 6/10.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Code Yellow is way better than this episode.

Patrick's Coupon is just as decent/average/meh as this episode though. And Sportz is even worse.

I was a little harsh on this episode at first, it's only really averageish and that's it

Back