214b. Out of the Picture

Jai The Guy

Aren't we all bunnies now?
Kind of sad to hear that krabs is trying to get rid of Squidward. What happened to them being good friends? And I thought Vincent said in another post that they try to keep the characters "in-character".

but I don't watch it so I guess I can't judge
Mr Krabs was trying to fake his death until the end.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Gonna go ahead and talk about this episode a little more. Upon rewatching it, I still did enjoy "Out of the Picture," but I definitely can understand why others wouldn't, but I'll get to that a little later. I like the environments this episode sends us to, like the arctic, Mars, and of course, Rock Bottom. Listen, I know it was only like, 50 seconds of the episode at most, but there's no denying that I'm willing to put on a few brownie points for bringing it back. That is seriously overdue. I feel the humor and premise for the episode is pretty solid, and really, that's the extent of what I'm looking for in an episode. Yes, Krabs is a little unlikable, but it's made clear that he is the villain of this episode. And heck, I wouldn't even say this is the first time he tried to do something of this sort. I mean, did "Clams" just collectively disappear from everyone's memory? Jokes aside, I do understand complaints for this episode, but I do feel there are two factors that really put this above some of the show's other dark episodes.
  • Krabs is a clear villain, and gets his comeuppance. While in some other episodes, say "One Coarse Meal," the villain is left ambiguous, since Plankton is seen stealing the formula at the beginning, yet the torment later on tries to put him in a sympathetic light, this episode makes sure you know who the antagonist is from the start, and doesn't try to show ambiguity with it. This means that later on, when Krabs gets his just desserts, there is a sense of satisfaction that comes with it. I will admit, it did feel a little out-of-character, but ultimately, since most SpongeBob episodes are contained within themselves, it didn't affect the episode too much for me.
  • The episode doesn't ever feel like it takes itself too seriously. The idea of an episode about someone putting another through torment until they feel downright suicidal is just kinda messed-up and nothing else, with it kinda being difficult to see what's being played for laughs. In this episode, I feel as though the premise of someone faking another's death for profit is pretty goofy, and made especially entertaining when Krabs fails to accomplish it, particularly with Squidward seeming oblivious to what's going on. The story is far more humorous in this scenario, which I really believe helps it succeed.
As for the rest, it's really just a matter of opinion. I believe that can be said for a lot of Season 10 episodes, really. I am always a sucker for these sorts of dark stories, and I just found the episode itself to be funny, so really I trend towards the positive on this episode. I feel that although I disagree with McSponge's opinion, he did do a good job explaining why he dislikes it, and as such I can respect him and his review of this episode. In some of the other instances, however, I do feel there was some over-reaction. I wouldn't say on any stretch that this episode is the next "One Coarse Meal," and especially not that this episode alone is enough for the show to deserve being cancelled. Not every episode can always be a winner, and while there are perfectly good reasons to dislike "Out of the Picture," I do feel as though it is far from the worst episode we've ever seen. I personally loved the episode, and would say it is probably competing for the fifth best episode of the season, giving it a 9/10, but don't feel as though you have to enjoy it. I feel there are many points that put this leagues above the show's worst episodes, but I can definitely see why someone with other tastes may not enjoy it. Sorry if I rambled on a little there, but I'm hoping I was able to express my opinion well enough.

I respect your opinion. You did a great job analyzing this episode, and focusing on the positives. I made the One Course Meal comparison, due to the fact that I knew people would probably not complain about Krabs in this episode, yet people will continue to constantly bash One Course Meal for Krabs actions (Something done too much in my opinion, I believe people over react to it). Meaning, I felt like I needed to address the issue, since it was an annoying part of the episode, due to the fact that people probably wouldn't point out that flaw since we are in a new "Golden Era", which isn't as controversial as the post movie era (An era people still bash to this day). Meaning, that I believed this flaw would be overlooked due to a majority of modern episodes being good. Think of it this way, everyone seemed to live Food Con Castaway, yet PieGuy ripped apart the episode for it's flaws. I probably was over reacting, considering how awful I view the climax to be. It's not just Krabs that ruins the episode for my opinion. A bigger part was the lack of humor. Humor is subjective, so while you may find it funny, I may not, and that's okay. I'm glad to see this episode viewed in an intelligent, positive review. Great review, my friend :)

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
McSponge said:
I respect your opinion. You did a great job analyzing this episode, and focusing on the positives. I made the One Course Meal comparison, due to the fact that I knew people would probably not complain about Krabs in this episode, yet people will continue to constantly bash One Course Meal for Krabs actions (Something done too much in my opinion, I believe people over react to it). Meaning, I felt like I needed to address the issue, since it was an annoying part of the episode, due to the fact that people probably wouldn't point out that flaw since we are in a new "Golden Era", which isn't as controversial as the post movie era (An era people still bash to this day). Meaning, that I believed this flaw would be overlooked due to a majority of modern episodes being good. Think of it this way, everyone seemed to live Food Con Castaway, yet PieGuy ripped apart the episode for it's flaws. I probably was over reacting, considering how awful I view the climax to be. It's not just Krabs that ruins the episode for my opinion. A bigger part was the lack of humor. Humor is subjective, so while you may find it funny, I may not, and that's okay. I'm glad to see this episode viewed in an intelligent, positive review. Great review, my friend :)
Thank you! I'm glad we can respect each other, regardless of our differing opinions.

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
This episode was pretty good. I laughed out loud a few times. If I can do that at least once per episode, I'm good. It was an adultish plot so I liked it. And I LOVED the Rock Bottom reference. Man, 17 year gap! Gotta throw the long time fans a bone once in a while, haha. 8.2/10

McSponge said:
They certainly made the harsh point clear, but it was very light. They actually let squidward win in the end, and also Krabs' attempts are not that dark and gory. Heck, squidward came back with a party hat one of the times. But yea, good reviews all around

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
Kinda posted about this one on a YT comment, so part of that will be copied here.

I know that some many bring up other "dark" episodes from the shows early days..

The difference between Rock Bottom, Nasty Patty, and SB Meets the Strangler is that it's all played up for laughs; the show knew when to stop, to keep it from being untasteful.

This is where Out of the Picture failed.. a hanging joke? That's, in my opinion, incredibly untasteful and just wrong. Putting Squidward in situations that could end up getting him killed? Not funny.. Squidward can be a mean character SOMETIMES, but I'd never wanna see him dead. Mr Krabs hasn't really changed much since SOOW; What's Eating Patrick comes to mind. The 'jokes' really didn't make me laugh either.

Another big problem is that Krabs doesn't really get his commupance for borderline attempted murder; his restaurant gets destroyed, so what? That happens all the time.. would've been better had he accidentally got arrested for destroying a public restaurant, when it's ironically his, in my opinion.

Only part of the episode I'd consider decent was the cameo from Rock Bottom.

Wish I could enjoy these new SB episodes, but they're just too random and don't treat characters with much intelligence. Silly faces don't make humor, in my opinion; thought provoking laughter is what I loved from SB, and this new "style" (which is really just ripping off Ren & Stimpy) has lost what made the show so full of charm initially.

I'm Squidward

Imitation Krab
JerryTheSnail said:
I don't think it was that they didn't use cel, I think it was just that they made it look goofier and sillier. It lacked the creepy atmosphere.
Yeah, plus the cel would look out of place with the rest of the episode and its assets.

Reactions: Reg

Smaher

Moby Dollar
Another big problem is that Krabs doesn't really get his commupance for borderline attempted murder; his restaurant gets destroyed, so what? That happens all the time.. would've been better had he accidentally got arrested for destroying a public restaurant, when it's ironically his, in my opinion.
Really? You're complaining about a hanging joke? Even though the show's made countless suicide jokes before? You're either overly sensitive or overly nitpicky. If it's played for laughs, it's a dark joke, by definition.

Anywho, I liked this episode. I do wanna know how they got away with that blatant noose joke, though.

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
Really? You're complaining about a hanging joke? Even though the show's made countless suicide jokes before? You're either overly sensitive or overly nitpicky. If it's played for laughs, it's a dark joke, by definition.
Anywho, I liked this episode. I do wanna know how they got away with that blatant noose joke, though.

I wasn't okay with when they've done it previously, and I'm certainty not now. Just because it's been done before, doesn't make it okay.

Perhaps I am a little nitpicky, but that's because I know what I consider to be thought provoking and laughter inducing SpongeBob, and this ain't it. I laid out my points somewhat decently as to why I didn't enjoy the episode, but I guess you just kinda ignored that.

For those who do enjoy the episode, great - I'm glad that others can get enjoyment out of it, and I can easily respect your opinion.

Smaher

Moby Dollar
I wasn't okay with when they've done it previously, and I'm certainty not now. Just because it's been done before, doesn't make it okay.

Perhaps I am a little nitpicky, but that's because I know what I consider to be thought provoking and laughter inducing SpongeBob, and this ain't it. I laid out my points somewhat decently as to why I didn't enjoy the episode, but I guess you just kinda ignored that.
Tell me how "not okay" you were with Squidward contemplating jumping from Patrick's hand to his death in MM&BBIV. Or that knight trying to stab himself in Dunces and Dragons. There's a reason I called you overly sensitive and nitpicky.

By the way, you pointed out two episodes earlier that were literally about a serial killer and Spongebob and Krabs hiding a body. If anything, Nasty Patty was more blatant, because it was a seemingly dead body. In this episode, Krabs was definitely trying to get Squidward away from the KK safely, until the end, where he tried to beat him with a hammer.

You laid your points out, alright. And they were nitpicky.

Jai The Guy

Aren't we all bunnies now?
Exactly! Besides, you wouldn't complain if someone made a reference to slicing a throat

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fpreviews.123rf.com%2Fimages%2Fnebari%2Fnebari1209%2Fnebari120900019%2F15070566-an-older-man-gives-the-cutthroat-signal-Stock-Photo.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.123rf.com%2Fphoto_15070566_an-older-man-gives-the-cutthroat-signal.html&docid=LyHOCEm7SbHgIM&tbnid=EVjkzT0J42kq9M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwj8s-a2hMvUAhVJw2MKHTZRB5kQMwg0KAQwBA..i&w=1300&h=886&itg=1&client=tablet-android-kd&bih=600&biw=1024&q=cut%20throat%20expression&ved=0ahUKEwj8s-a2hMvUAhVJw2MKHTZRB5kQMwg0KAQwBA&iact=mrc&uact=8

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
Tell me how "not okay" you were with Squidward contemplating jumping from Patrick's hand to his death in MM&BBIV. Or that knight trying to stab himself in Dunces and Dragons. There's a reason I called you overly sensitive and nitpicky.

By the way, you pointed out two episodes earlier that were literally about a serial killer and Spongebob and Krabs hiding a body. If anything, Nasty Patty was more blatant, because it was a seemingly dead body. In this episode, Krabs was definitely trying to get Squidward away from the KK safely, until the end, where he tried to beat him with a hammer.
You laid your points out, alright. And they were nitpicky.

The Squidward joke felt somewhat in character for him, this one-off 'art critic' was really about as bland as they come, no real personality outside of spewing exposition.

Nasty Patty is, actually, one of my least favorite episodes from the earlier seasons (I feel that specific scenes are a bit TOO dark, mostly the graveyard scene), although I will give it this compared to OOTP; hurting a main character who I've come to know and love is on a very different level than a background character who has yet to reappear in center stage. Yes, Nasty Party was far more blatant, but someone suggesting for Krabs to kill Squidward is something I just don't find amusing. Had the joke been related to a random background character, I definitely wouldn't have minded.

The D&D is, again, background character; when it's a character that appears once and that's it, it never bothers me.. maybe it's the connection I have to the main cast, I'm not sure.

It might just be that suggesting the idea (D&D, MM&BB Squidward joke) and actually SHOWING it (Nasty Patty, OOTP) are two very different things, and the latter just doesn't sit well with me.

Maybe I am being nitpicky, so what? Isn't that kinda what fans do, pick apart their favorite franchises to find their favorite and least favorite things about em? Pickiness isn't always a bad thing.

Again, nothing against those who enjoyed the episode, or even the joke.. there were a few gags and bits in the episode I enjoyed, just not enough for me to like it enough to consider good.

Reactions: Reg

Smaher

Moby Dollar
The Squidward joke was in character, but it was still a blatant suicide joke. That's what make sense it dark. You EXPECT it from him. Considering what we've see no from Mr. Krabs before, especially pre-movie, Krabs trying to get Squidward out of the picture is in character, regardless. The noose joke is a different case, but it's really not that much different, considering you can kill yourself from jumping a height, and stabbing yourself with a spear.

hurting a main character who I've come to know and love.
So, basically you hate every episode with Squidward in it. Squidward's supposed to be the butt of the joke, and the show. But forget that. Squidward wasn't even seriously hurt in this episode (at least not more than usual) and he didn't even show pain or agony at the end of it. In fact, when he literally became an art piece, he said "I'm an artist." which can be seen as mutual. If you really wanna talk comeuppance sense, or whatever you're into, Krabs destroyed his restaurant for nothing, and became art, himself.

The idea was never shown in OOTP. The background fish suggested that's Squidward should die. And Squidward was never actually hurt by Mr. Krabs in it at all.

Isn't that kinda what fans do, pick apart their favorite franchises to find their favorite and least favorite things about em?
But the way you're going about it is overdoing it. Picking small things you like and don't like isn't nitpicking. Picking small things you don't like, just because you don't like the whole idea around it is.

My problem isn't with you not liking the episode. It's your reasons:

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I didn't like the episode but I've got some disagreements. Mr. Krabs was clearly portrayed as the villain here. All of his attempts were just to get Squidward away safely. He even states this explicitly in the episode and gets his just deserts at the end. His hammer rage at the end is clearly over the top Loony Toons stuff. Compare that to One Coarse Meal where Mr. Krabs stalks Plankton just for fun and laughs at him when he sits on the road, and comes out on top.

If you hate the episode that's perfectly reasonable but this isn't even close to OCM levels of terrible. At worst Mr. Krabs is as bad as he was in Mutiny on the Krusty. (Which was worse imo but I've covered my dislike for Mutiny enough)

MrColeslaw

Balloon Traveler
The Squidward joke was in character, but it was still a blatant suicide joke. That's what make sense it dark. You EXPECT it from him. Considering what we've see no from Mr. Krabs before, especially pre-movie, Krabs trying to get Squidward out of the picture is in character, regardless. The noose joke is a different case, but it's really not that much different, considering you can kill yourself from jumping a height, and stabbing yourself with a spear.
So, basically you hate every episode with Squidward in it. Squidward's supposed to be the butt of the joke, and the show. But forget that. Squidward wasn't even seriously hurt in this episode (at least not more than usual) and he didn't even show pain or agony at the end of it. In fact, when he literally became an art piece, he said "I'm an artist." which can be seen as mutual. If you really wanna talk comeuppance sense, or whatever you're into, Krabs destroyed his restaurant for nothing, and became art, himself.
The idea was never shown in OOTP. The background fish suggested that's Squidward should die. And Squidward was never actually hurt by Mr. Krabs in it at all.
But the way you're going about it is overdoing it. Picking small things you like and don't like isn't nitpicking. Picking small things you don't like, just because you don't like the whole idea around it is.
My problem isn't with you not liking the episode. It's your reasons:

Squidward isn't ALWAYS the butt of the joke; Squidville immediately comes to mind.. sure, he starts off in a less than ideal situation, but he gets what he wants (and comedically enough, grows tired of it). Wouldn't you dislike being hurt and abused all the time by your so-called "friends"? I personally enjoy seeing Squidward being treated as both a protagonist and antagonist, because that's REALLY what he is, the man (or Squid, whatever) in the middle.. really depends on the situation. The show TREATS HIM like the butt of every joke, and that might possibly be why you see him in that light. They've been doing it since the beginning, but have definitely am0ed it up since later in season 4.

Whatever, no need to continue this petty argument; whether you like my reasons or not, they're valid (notice I didn't say correct, as opinions are painfully subjective) from my perspective, and that's it.

President Squidward said:
^ lmao spongebob fans like these are why I don't bother giving thoughts about spongebob that much anymore

I mean, RK's reasons are completely valid as they can get. What more do you want from him?
I kinda see why you don't, honestly; 9 times outta 10, I'm criticized for having a negative opinion. Maybe, just maybe, it's because I know in my heart that the show can do far better than pointless slapstick with their (now) one-dimensional cast.

I dunno, maybe I've just become a bit more immune to lower quality content as I've aged, and it makes me seem rude and fickle.

Hudgegratskid said:
Squidward isn't ALWAYS the butt of the joke; Squidville immediately comes to mind.. sure, he starts off in a less than ideal situation, but he gets what he wants (and comedically enough, grows tired of it). Wouldn't you dislike being hurt and abused all the time by your so-called "friends"? I personally enjoy seeing Squidward being treated as both a protagonist and antagonist, because that's REALLY what he is, the man (or Squid, whatever) in the middle.. really depends on the situation. The show TREATS HIM like the butt of every joke, and that might possibly be why you see him in that light. They've been doing it since the beginning, but have definitely am0ed it up since later in season 4.

Whatever, no need to continue this petty argument; whether you like my reasons or not, they're valid (notice I didn't say correct, as opinions are painfully subjective) from my perspective, and that's it.

I kinda see why you don't, honestly; 9 times outta 10, I'm criticized for having a negative opinion. Maybe, just maybe, it's because I know in my heart that the show can do far better than pointless slapstick with their (now) one-dimensional cast.

I dunno, maybe I've just become a bit more immune to lower quality content as I've aged, and it makes me seem rude and fickle.
well I'll say that I didn't exactly agree with your points. The stuff in the ep didn't bother me much because it's played out like a silly thing and SpongeBob had Squidward's back and Mr. Krabs was treated as antagonist and got punished at the end

but

your points are valid to me and I'm tired of some people have to have defensive about every criticism of the new episodes.While I found some complaints in couple of episodes to be very stupid, I've seen enough valid criticism for the new episodes of the show and I have to agree and I also think you are right with tone. I liked some of season 10 episodes and most of the ones I found the weakest weren't close to bad, infact gimme these over lifeless, gross and mean-spiritness of bad season 5-8 episodes but darn it, the show feels too screamy and hyperactive now. Pre-movie had those too but they also had a lot of dialogue comedy and quiter coments to balance them out. Even in some good episodes, I feel like there's just too much silly faces, which are well-drawn but can be overused, and loudness. My least favorite episode of season 10, The Getaway was way fast-paced, loud and overuse of slapstick. In fact I even had someone calling me "cranky" for just telling my honest opinion on that episode, despite the fact the person is more negative towards new episodes than I am. Just bullcrap. I feel like people heard same old same old post-movie complaints that they don't allow others to find major flaws in new episodes because most of post-movie writers are gone and some from pre-movie era came back. I admit I actually liked season 9.2 so much that I considered season 9 to be best season in a long time and I still stand by it but season 10 was like either so darn good on it's own or so Ren and Stimpy/Looney Tunes wannabe that it doesn't get why those worked in those shows/shorts. I just hope we'll get more variety in humor in season 11 because I feel like they just wanted to get over with season 10 due to how short it is.

TheCrunchyPudding00

Part Computer or Something
I LOVED THIS EPISODE. But from the moment the plot started i knew all the Mr. Enter fans and other oversensitive members of this fandom would hate it. First off, Mr. Krabs is not trying to KILL Squidward. He states in the episode that he is trying to send squidward on deliveries to get him away long enough to sell his paintings. A little dark humor never hurt anyone. However, the constant deliveries squidward went on were pretty bland imo. Not very intresting. The highlight of the episode would definatly be the beinging with peoples over the top reactions to Squidwards painting. Very funny episode but still flawed in some aspects.

7/10

Back