214b. Out of the Picture

Growlie

Best Boy
Even if SpongeBob coerced Mr. Krabs into it, he forced his art into peoples eyes until they literally combusted into flames. I'd say that's enough for the character who's role is to be the butt monkey.
Squidward Wanted to be Noticed! The background characters are simply jerks.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
Growlie said:
Squidward Wanted to be Noticed! The background characters are simply jerks.
Normally that'd be the case, but to be noticed like how he wants to, he'd need to do stuff that was good instead of weird, abstract squid themed narcissistic art that nobody has appreciated so far. Even if Squidward knows art techniques, he's played as an awful artist by everyone, including professional critics, which heavily shows that the problem is with Squidward's art, and this is shown in a comedic way.

JerryTheSnail

Giant Clam
McSponge said:
Oh yeah, forgot to mention. Rock Bottom felt off in this episode. I'm pretty sure it's because of the animation. The animators just couldn't recapture the magic of Rock Bottom from its respective episode. I think this is due to the fact that Rock Bottom was made in Cel Animation, whereas now, the show is in HD, and is digitally colored and inked, which is why Rock Bottom, and it's characters look so off. Maybe if they decided to use Cel Animation (You know, mix up the animation styles) for Rock Bottom, and it's citizens, that'd be cool.
I don't think it was that they didn't use cel, I think it was just that they made it look goofier and sillier. It lacked the creepy atmosphere.

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Well, I wasn't sure if Cel animation could some how blend alongside with the digital ink/paint. Considering the show can afford all these Guest Stars nowadays, I believe the show could've attempted something along the lines of using Cel animation. Maybe by going the Space Ghost Coast to Coast route, by reusing older Cel animation from Rock Bottom. Just a little bit of what I'd wish to see.

Also, in response to this quote "they should cancel spongebob before more bad episodes come, it should've been canceled after the first movie"

I'm sorry, but this is one of the worst statements I have seen on the forum. First of all, SpongeBob has always had bad episodes. Even before the first movie, they had bad episodes like Dumped, I Was a Teenage Gary, Artist Unknown (Heh-heh that last one is my opinion :sbface: ), etc.

So bad episodes isn't something the series is new to by now. Second, cancelling a show before more bad episodes come out. The staff doesn't decide if an episode is bad or not. They don't judge their own work as much as we do, so maybe an episode that's bad to us, is considered a masterpiece to the writers. Everyone has a different opinion. Not to mention, the people running the show don't have a say in when a series gets cancelled. That's why the show is still running! Stephen wanted the show to end with the first movie, but the executives renewed the show for a fourth season anyway.

Third, network executives don't care in the slightest if a show has bad episodes or not. As long as the show does well with ratings, that's all that matters. Why do you think Johnny Test aired for so many years? And nowadays, Teen Titans Go! ? The executives don't care as long as their show is doing successful with ratings.

Plus, SpongeBob has produced countless amounts of bad episodes before. If Nick didn't cancel them then, they won't be cancelled anytime soon.

Also, that statement about how "they should've cancelled it after the first movie", yeah, I'm sure everyone has heard that statement before. That statement is nothing new. I've heard it hundreds of times, as did the other members on this community. Those events occurred over a decade ago, I think it's time to let it go, and move on. I don't mind you having an opinion, I agree that it's a bad episode, but the rest of that statement was ridiculous.

Nickelodeon Stuff

Floating Shopping List
It's actually decent. I liked the rock bottom cameo and the fish that helped spongebob get out of rock bottom in season 1 return. The plot was borderline meh but it managed to stay good.
8/10

DigDugtrio

Floating Shopping List
An episode I had to watch a few time before I decided my opinion on it.

People are going to whine about Mr. Krabs behavior here, and normally I don't like Mr. Krabs being a total jerk, but here he actually have a motive, unlike some of the other episodes with jerky Krabs. I find the whole thing of Mr. Krabs trying to 'kill' Squidward to be funny in a humorously dark manner. I especially liked Rock Bottom in this episode, really great to see that. I also like SpongeBob in this episode, as he saw that Krabs was being a jerk and trying to kill Squidward. Larry's scream got a good laugh out of me as well.

Overall, it's not the best season 10 has to offer, but it's certainly not bad and has quite a few things going for it.

7/10

Klu

Moby Dollar
Much better than "Patrick's coupon". In my opinion, this episode could be very bad if everything Mr.Krubs-related was played seriously, like in "One Coarse Meal". But fortunately, everything are played for laughs. Many jokes worked, return of Rock Bottom was surprising in the good way and Mr.Krubs got what he deserved in the end.
Overall, a decent episode.
7/10

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
Kind of sad to hear that krabs is trying to get rid of Squidward. What happened to them being good friends? And I thought Vincent said in another post that they try to keep the characters "in-character".

but I don't watch it so I guess I can't judge

This was pretty good. At times, it was a bit too insane, which is like my usual complaint with season 10 but I really enjoyed back and forth Mr. Krabs sending Squidward to different locations like Rock Bottom and Mars (I noticed how the rocket seemed so similar with the one in Sandy's Rocket, mostly inside) and everytime he came back, he didn't seem so angry or sad about it. Even his return from Mars, all he commented was it was disgusting but he came back to normal. I gotta say Squidward treatment here is handled well, except for the beginning, which was pretty annoying. He went over the top with destroying Krusty Krab but that's the prize you get when you become too violent. Mr. Krabs was a jerk here, no surprise but here, he's the villain and the episode didn't take itself too seriously with Mr. Krabs trying to murder Squidward. It's all played out like a Looney Tunes cartoon in an amusing way. I can't argue that Mr. Krabs was too flanderized but it worked for me here. I seriously loved how SpongeBob was helpful towards Squidward. Their dynamic wasn't that much in this episode but it still felt sweet like how they returned from Rock Bottom party with joy and he was on Squidward's side when Mr. Krabs went too crazy with the paintings. Mr. Krabs' and Squidward's punishment at the end was definitely hilarious. Overall, this was definitely one of the better episodes of this season.

Grade: B+

Doowop said:
Even Rock Bottom couldn't save this episode. Mr. Krabs is more sick and twisted than he was in One Coarse Meal. I think this is one of the worst episodes of the show.

President Squidward said:
Kind of sad to hear that krabs is trying to get rid of Squidward. What happened to them being good friends? And I thought Vincent said in another post that they try to keep the characters "in-character".

but I don't watch it so I guess I can't judge
well yeah, Mr. Krabs was horrible here, even out of the character but it helped the plot. Unlike OCM, it's played out as a comedy and he got his karma at the end.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
President Squidward said:
At first he was only trying to keep Squidward away long enough to make money by faking his death when he's really elsewhere (even sending him to Mars, but with the proper space equipment) so it's not that bad considering how near the end it's played off as comedic value and Krabs gets more than his fair share of commepuance, although Squidward still is a bit of a butt monkey but I think it works well considering his art did physically hurt people. :P

I do agree the Krabs/Squidward "brotherly" relationship from earlier on has sorta died which sucks, really would like to see that back even if what's going on now isn't bad. For now that probably would count as "in-character", at least for the time being.

BobCarotte

meep
I didn't really like this episode. The plot is bad. Cheap Krabs wants to get rid of Squidward to get more money, ridiculous. I didn't even laugh at a single part. The only part that made me smile is the whole Rock Bottom scene but the rest...nope. I give this episode a 6.5/10. Sorry, but I'm not kidding.

More

VIP
Well I was initially planning to call this episode "Good" right away but this mixed reception leaves me a whole lot of material I'll need to be talking about! I hope I didn't start a negativity trend after really not liking "Code Yellow". :(

More_Starco said:
Well I was initially planning to call this episode "Good" right away but this mixed reception leaves me a whole lot of material I'll need to be talking about! I hope I didn't start a negativity trend after really not liking "Code Yellow". :(
nah. Even back then most of people didn't like Snooze You Lose, Whirlybrains and Krusty Katering. So It's not really your fault.

More

VIP
McSponge said:
First of all, SpongeBob has always had bad episodes. Even before the first movie, they had bad episodes like Dumped, I Was a Teenage Gary, Artist Unknown (Heh-heh that last one is my opinion :sbface: ), etc.
I'm glad to see someone else with actual critical skill can agree with me about Artist Unknown. :)

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Yahoo! I'm not the only one who dislikes it.

I don't think you should change your opinion just because of a negative trend. For instance, I love Salsa Imbecillicus, yet a lot of people dislike it, and that's okay. Not to mention, I always thought Mermaid Pants was overrated. If there's a common opinion, you don't need to follow it.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
Gonna go ahead and talk about this episode a little more. Upon rewatching it, I still did enjoy "Out of the Picture," but I definitely can understand why others wouldn't, but I'll get to that a little later. I like the environments this episode sends us to, like the arctic, Mars, and of course, Rock Bottom. Listen, I know it was only like, 50 seconds of the episode at most, but there's no denying that I'm willing to put on a few brownie points for bringing it back. That is seriously overdue. I feel the humor and premise for the episode is pretty solid, and really, that's the extent of what I'm looking for in an episode. Yes, Krabs is a little unlikable, but it's made clear that he is the villain of this episode. And heck, I wouldn't even say this is the first time he tried to do something of this sort. I mean, did "Clams" just collectively disappear from everyone's memory? Jokes aside, I do understand complaints for this episode, but I do feel there are two factors that really put this above some of the show's other dark episodes.
  1. Krabs is a clear villain, and gets his comeuppance. While in some other episodes, say "One Coarse Meal," the villain is left ambiguous, since Plankton is seen stealing the formula at the beginning, yet the torment later on tries to put him in a sympathetic light, this episode makes sure you know who the antagonist is from the start, and doesn't try to show ambiguity with it. This means that later on, when Krabs gets his just desserts, there is a sense of satisfaction that comes with it. I will admit, it did feel a little out-of-character, but ultimately, since most SpongeBob episodes are contained within themselves, it didn't affect the episode too much for me.
  2. The episode doesn't ever feel like it takes itself too seriously. The idea of an episode about someone putting another through torment until they feel downright suicidal is just kinda messed-up and nothing else, with it kinda being difficult to see what's being played for laughs. In this episode, I feel as though the premise of someone faking another's death for profit is pretty goofy, and made especially entertaining when Krabs fails to accomplish it, particularly with Squidward seeming oblivious to what's going on. The story is far more humorous in this scenario, which I really believe helps it succeed.
As for the rest, it's really just a matter of opinion. I believe that can be said for a lot of Season 10 episodes, really. I am always a sucker for these sorts of dark stories, and I just found the episode itself to be funny, so really I trend towards the positive on this episode. I feel that although I disagree with McSponge's opinion, he did do a good job explaining why he dislikes it, and as such I can respect him and his review of this episode. In some of the other instances, however, I do feel there was some over-reaction. I wouldn't say on any stretch that this episode is the next "One Coarse Meal," and especially not that this episode alone is enough for the show to deserve being cancelled. Not every episode can always be a winner, and while there are perfectly good reasons to dislike "Out of the Picture," I do feel as though it is far from the worst episode we've ever seen. I personally loved the episode, and would say it is probably competing for the fifth best episode of the season, giving it a 9/10, but don't feel as though you have to enjoy it. I feel there are many points that put this leagues above the show's worst episodes, but I can definitely see why someone with other tastes may not enjoy it. Sorry if I rambled on a little there, but I'm hoping I was able to express my opinion well enough.

Back