214a. Patrick's Coupon

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
The worst of Season 10 by far for me. Very poor episode. I have a pet peeve when the writers just throw in random characters for no reason, and they did that with krabs, squidward, and even spongebob. They all have like 1 scene. It was just a super stupid and pointless episode to me. The plot was so terrible. The other seastar was so stupid. We saw like 4 minutes of those 2 idiots blabbering. Guh, i just really hated this one. The sister episode was great IMO

Rocky Lobster

Floating Shopping List
Originally my most disliked episode of Season 10 was "Whirly Brains" and even that episode was interesting and did not have a complete lack of comedy. However, "Patrick's Coupon" was no surprise. Seeing Patrick overreact over a coupon was dull and seeing him going to great measures to get his best friend an ice cream? A waste of time and effort. I did enjoy the ending scene card, as it reminded me of how they used to put ending cards as a joke on some episodes.

Overall: 5.5/10. Disappointment, yet plot stayed true to itself.

Smaher

Moby Dollar
I don't get pgh214's complaints about the episode bringing in Spongebob, Krabs, and Squidward. Krabs and Squidward were brought in so Patrick could start being paranoid. And the plot was Patrick getting ice cream FOR Spongebob, obviously. Usually, when the episode doesn't focus on Spongebob, he doesn't appear a lot, anyway.

And really, the plot was simple. Patrick wants to buy ice cream with his coupon that turns out tin be expired. What kinda broader plot were you expecting from this show?

I liked this episode. Patrick's overreactions were funny, and it had some good expressions. It definitely stupid at the end with Patrick and the King, but their competition was pretty entertaining. It's harmless.

I did like that part where that fish was insulting Patrick on the ground.

TheCrunchyPudding00

Part Computer or Something
Pretty meh episode. Not much to say. I thought the Ice Cream King was quite the interesting character though. 5/10

Btw, the Ice cream king really reminds me of King Wendy's. Not sure if this is a direct reference or just a coincdence.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5iCXOJj0Y

Vincent Waller

Floating Shopping List
McSponge said:
Modern SpongeBob episodes heavily rely on bouncy, exaggerated, cartoony expressions, and animation. This episode is probably when this animation is at its best. The animation in this episode is really impressive if you ask me. There are a lot of well done movements and faces made by Patrick, which I really felt made up for the lack of comedy in this episode. Sure, there were some funny jokes (Like how Patrick got the handshake for SpongeBob in the end), but most of the episode relied on visual humor, which I can appreciate. I really do think the visuals are at their best in this episode, if you ask me. Primarily during the 2nd half of the episode. Once Patrick arrives to the Ice Cream place, the visuals are really good, not only in Patrick, but also in the scenery, and that's something really enjoyable to witness. I also really like the visuals while Patrick dueled with the Ice Cream king, I think that was well choreographed.

Now, let's talk about the plot of the episode. The episode's plot seems pretty generic. It feels like a plot you'd find in a Mickey Mouse Works Cartoon (Though the execution isn't nearly as incredible as the Mickey Mouse Works Cartoons). The plot is pretty weak, and doesn't seem to be that special, but rather forced. I don't think the plot really picked up until the climax of the episode, in which Patrick dueled with the Ice Cream King, but by then, the majority of the episode was nothing but a weak, predictable plot. Sure, the animation is great, but that's more of a distraction from the lame plot. The concept is really weak in my opinion, and the execution of it seemed mediocre. I would've rather had Patrick go on some sort of quest to find the Ice Cream King, a big grand adventure, rather than witness him going around trying to keep his coupon for himself.

The characters in this episode are well rounded. Patrick is caring, and tries to do everything he can to get an ice cream for his best buddy. Squidward is a great character in this episode, and I'm really glad he stood up for Patrick when Krabs was about to scam him. The Ice Cream King is a delightful, jolly character, and is a perfect shadow of Patrick's character. Now, the rest of the characters aren't that good in my opinion. SpongeBob comes off as a very forced character, and seems to speak things with lots of exposition. Not every moment needs to be a crazy animated moment. You can have those, as they are enjoyable to watch, but having them for moments when they're unnecessary, that's overkill. Krabs is a predictable scoundrel in this episode, and I feel as if his scene was just meant to kill time (Or at least set up Patrick's skeptical nature regarding other people and his coupon). I would've much rather had Krabs scene be either much shorter, or not exist at all within the episode. The background characters are alright, nothing too special came out of them.

The jokes...ugh...

I think the statement that Season 10 is unfunny, due to the lack of dialogue based humor has really gotten to my head. It's really all I think about whenever I'm judging the humor in an episode, and I think that kind of taints the episode in my opinion. Regardless though, the animation is so great, and comically drawn in this episode, that I think it really makes up for the lack of jokes. Sometimes the animation itself is just funny, so it does help fill in the gap of the lack of jokes. Other jokes seem very forced in this episode, like they appear because "Story demands they do so". The only type of humor that wasn't driven from animation in this episode that I remember easily, is the cheesy puns used during the battle sequence. Oh yeah, did I mention I really like the battle sequence?

The beginning of the episode starts off very well. A battle between Patrick and the Sea-Spider was great! It was exciting, well animated, and even some visual gags came off of it as well. It was very entertaining. Then, things start to drag on, and progress hardly, once Patrick states he is going to get SpongeBob an icecream. These parts are so forced, it is painful to watch. I don't find any entertaining value out of these parts, they were ultimately unfunny, and slowly paced. Once Krabs scared Patrick, Patrick is on alert. These scenes are meh. Nothing too special comes out of these scenes, I guess they're impressive visually, but the amount of entertainment that comes out of them otherwise isn't that good. Finally, things pick up once Patrick approaches the Ice Cream place (Which I have previously praised for its stunning scenery). This scene is pretty good, but then Patrick's coupon is revealed to be...EXPIRED!?

6ee2b2a7e7252b5a81109b36340e8df3.jpg

What is he to do!? Things do start to get interesting, as an employee tells Patrick about...the ice cream king!

You know, as cool as the ice cream place was, I think this episode missed out on an opportunity to include Goofy Goober's Ice Cream Parlor. Anyway, Patrick makes his way into the home of the Ice Cream King. This part was so visually entertaining, goodness, I love the visuals in these scenes. That being said, if it weren't for the animation, it'd feel like a poorly paced, awkward exchange between two characters from a Season 6 episode. Now, there are definitely funny gags in these scenes. The "Glasses" gag is really funny, and I did like the sprinkle gag. Now, the fight was easily the highlight of the episode. I really did like seeing Patrick and the King battling similar to how Patrick wanted to battle the spider from earlier (A little foreshadowing?). Ultimately, the battle contains a missed opportunity. There could've been a callback to Krabby Road, with Patrick growing hair on demand, like he did in that episode. It's a shame, because the result of what happens isn't any better than what could've been done. Patrick returns to SpongeBob's house, and hey! SpongeBob has the ice cream for no explained reason! That's all folks!

So ultimately, I feel this episode was nothing but missed opportunity. Sure, there were good moments, and I still adore the animation in this episode, but this episode could've been a lot better if certain things were done differently (Let's say, make the coupon not the main focus of the episode, but rather focus on Patrick looking for the Ice Cream King? An adventure like that would've been incredible). There really aren't any jokes in this episode, but the animation can be comical at times.

Ultimately, it's an Okay Episode. I notice a lot of people really seem to like this episode, so I guess this time, I'm the odd one out.

I give it a 6.5/10.
The Goofy Goober is property of Paramount. Stay tuned, that might change soon as the Paramount/Nickelodeon relationship is becoming more interweaved."Friendlier"

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
Ah, okay. Neat information. But why does Goofy Goober appear in SpongeBob comics? Is that affiliated with Paramount?

President Squidward

Mmmm donuts.
McSponge said:
Ah, okay. Neat information. But why does Goofy Goober appear in SpongeBob comics? Is that affiliated with Paramount?
I'm not sure if Goofy Goober himself appeared in any SpongeBob Comic since the first movie comics, but the place itself has appeared.

Javaheri

Imitation Krab
this episode is just stupid story and so boring
out of picturs is worst episode in the season 10

patrick's coupon 3/10
out of picturs 1/10
i think Brain Morante and John Trabbic is best storyboard in this season

and fred osmond and kelly armstrong is worst storyboard in this season

Ben Gruber is best writter in this season but out of picturs is worst episode in season 10

mr.lawrence is great writter

Andrew Goodman is awsome

kaz is pretty good writter.

in this season so far.

TheCrunchyPudding00

Part Computer or Something
this episode is just stupid story and so boring
out of picturs is worst episode in the season 10

patrick's coupon 3/10
out of picturs 1/10
i think Brain Morante and John Trabbic is best storyboard in this season

and fred osmond and kelly armstrong is worst storyboard in this season

Ben Gruber is best writter in this season but out of picturs is worst episode in season 10

mr.lawrence is great writter

Andrew Goodman is awsome

kaz is pretty good writter.

in this season so far.

Wow! 7 years old and you already know how to post on a fourm! Good job!

Serriously, is this a troll comment? I legitimately cannot tell.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
TheCrunchyPudding00 said:
Wow! 7 years old and you already know how to post on a fourm! Good job!

Serriously, is this a troll comment? I legitimately cannot tell.
Well English may not be his first language too.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
Lot of people are mixed on this one. I can see why, half of the beginning was Patrick panicking over a coupon. It got annoying fast, but once he finds out about the Ice Cream King, the episode kinda picks up. Plus, we got an interesting casting here: Uncle Grandpa's VA/creator himself, Pete Browngardt, guest starred in this episode (which I'm surprised they credited him since he isn't even a celebrity). Plus it's strange since he also voiced a character in an episode of Clarence (Flood Brothers, Ham the Power Guy) which aired on the same month this episode did. His character was okay, but didn't feel threatening for the MacGuffin plot. And we get another "The End" title card covered in ice cream. The episode contained some humor in the otherwise dragged out beginning. Oddly enough, while Krabs was being in his usual greedy self in his short appearance, Squidward was actually helpful for once towards Patrick. SpongeBob only show up in the beginning and ending. As usual, the facial expressions provides some humorous moments. Kelly Armstrong did a very great job with those drawings. The ending was heartwarming and my gosh, it made me want to buy an ice cream. GOOD TIER

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 10

Episode: Patrick's Coupon

This episode was very decent. The plot was decent as well. There were some funny jokes. 6.5/10

Night-Waker

Moby Dollar
I had the same issues with this episode that I did with The Executive Treatment in that the plot is weak and a lot of the jokes don't quite hit their mark. It had some good moment here and there like the beginning but other than that this episode was very meh for me.

4/10

Invincibubble

Krabby Patty Perfectionist
"Patrick's Coupon" is a really good episode in my opinion. Although it did not work out in the end, I really admired the thought of Patrick going out of his way to get SpongeBob an ice cream. The episode had a bunch of silly jokes and gags within, but I felt that Patrick as a character really made a highlight out of this episode. The King's challenges were silly and fun to watch, especially the Karate match referencing the beginning of the episode with the sea spider. Overall, I would give this episode a 8/10, a great episode! :)

I don't get why people admired Patrick getting ice cream for SpongeBob when he threw the ice cream SpongeBob already had. It's just a jerk move from Patrick.

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
Just a standard episode. The Ice Cream King is rather a basic character but I did like the ending. It isn't all that engaging to me but Patrick was mostly funny, so that's okay. But what was the point of the 'quest' if the episode could end so simply?

Sunshinecandies

Imitation Krab
I wasn't really all that impressed with this episode. Was it funny? Kinda. But not really. Even now, I barely remember what happened, or any of the jokes. The ending was pretty wierd too. And I didn't care at all for the fight scene.

josemiguex

Imitation Krab
I usually like Patrick episodes and laugh at his stupidity (Even I found Rise and Shine hilarious) and I liked Code Yellow and Sportz?, so I expected to like this episode but this was actually pretty weak, a lot of the gags are pretty dumb to laugh, the ice cream king part was the worst, the begining and the mr krabs part are alright though, honestly Pat the horse is a masterpiece compared to this, the gags in that episode are pretty funny to me

4.5/10

LeElephantMonster

Moby Dollar
I believe that this episode was pretty solid until the reveal that the Ice Cream King was just another starfish very similar to Patrick and the episode could of been more interesting and compelling if the king character either had a different personality or was more mystical in general. Since the showdown was pretty much pointless and tedious to sit through in my opinion, it would of been better as is to cut that whole part out because it does bring the episode down. I do appreciate that even though Patrick was a jerk to slam SpongeBob's ice cream to the ground, at least I can see why he did what he did because it is what drives Patrick throughout the whole episode. All Patrick wants to do is get an ice cream for his best friend and unfortunately he realizes he cannot do such, but he does TRY. Which somehow I think that coming from Patrick that is a lot. So overall.... I suppose this episode for me gets a solid 6. It's slightly above average for me, but is brought down because of the Ice Cream King part and just other personalities in this episode that I'm not necessarily fond of.

Back