211b. Trident Trouble

MasiHosseini

Krabby Patty Burglar
Season: 10

Episode: Trident Trouble

This episode was kinda good. The plot was nice. It was nice to see King Neptune back. There were some funny jokes. 7/10

Cha

I love SBM
Intriguing from start to end, especially with that weird choir lurking over them the entire time. Wouldn't say it was one of my favorites but at the same time it was pretty interesting. I liked the ending with Neptune and SpongeBob though. B+

I applaud the SB crew for making more unique premises.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
Well, this episode kinda made up for the last rather disappointing segment. I excepted to not really like that much, but the only thing that dragged down the episode was the Greek chorus. Yes, this includes the title card. They weren't really needed in this episode and make SpongeBob too oblivious. On the subject of the title card, they really didn't need to explain themselves who they are. Therefore, it's considered to be one of my least favorite title cards. Anyway, the rest of the episode was really good to watch, although it can be a little bit disjointed as times. It's the same writer as Krusty Katering, but I think Ben Gruber handled this writing a lot better and I wasn't having a headache by the end of this episode. It still had his weird sense of writing style that present in all of his episodes. I liked seeing King Neptune again, even though I wish he has a little bit more screentime. 8/10

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
I LOVE THIS SIDE OF SPONGEBOB. HONESTLY.
He seemed so much more...smart, and behaved like a real-life person would - he made jokes, but only when needed, and he was never annoying. I'm noticing a different tone to his voice - it's still high, but cuter and more pleasant. He rocked that outfit, nice to see Neptune again and another great ending!

TheHallMonitor52

Imitation Krab
Highlight:The ice cream geyser (I legit had to pause the episode in order to laugh at that joke) And the greek chorus
Lowlight:The Trident itself is kinda of annoying

Holy crap, this episode is so awesome, it is legit one of the funniest episodes of spongebob i have ever seen since "Wet painters" and "Arrgh!" my 2 favorite episodes of the whole series,Every moment in the episode i had a stupid grin on my face because of how well executed the jokes were, it is filled with jokes all over the place especially with the icecream geyser, only one small complaint i had with the episode was that the trident was kinda of annoying

10/10- SPECTACULAR EPISODE

This episode didn't thrill me. It's not bad, but not an episode I would actively rewatch. I was never too big on this episode, and I don't know why. I guess everything just seemed average to me.

Ranking so far:
1. Unreal Estate (A+)
2. Plankton Gets the Boot (A+)
3. Mimic Madness (A)
4. Burst Your Bubble (A)
5. Mermaid Pants (A)
6. SpongeBob's Place (A)
7. Plankton Retires (B)
8. Life Insurance (B)
9. Code Yellow (B)
10. Trident Trouble (C)
11. Whirlybrains (C)
12. House Worming (C)
13. Krusty Katering (C)
14. Snooze You Lose (D)

CheeseCrocker

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Pretty creative episode. While it's not that funny, it's made up for by just how insane the whole episode is, with SpongeBob causing so much havoc.

Good Episode (7/10)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
This one is underrated i like this one! Its close to being the best it was kinda action-packed!

Rating: Perfect

Rankings:
Burst your Bubble (Golden)
Trident Trouble (Perfect)
Code Yellow (Perfect)
Plankton Retires (Perfect)
Mermaid Pants (Amazing!)
Mimic Madness (Superb)
Whirly Brains (Good)
Plankton Gets the Boot (High Okay)
SpongeBob's Place (Flat)
Krusty Katering (Dull)
House Worming (Meh)
Life Insurance (Sucky)
Unreal Estate (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
I gotta say, the writers of “Trident Trouble” were smart. They wanted their generally not memorable episode to be remembered, so they pulled a “SpongeBob vs. The Patty Gadget” and added a writing gimmick to the episode to make it more memorable. And it worked! I remember that Greek chorus very well. The rest of the episode, though? Well honestly I just feel like it’s like “Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy IV”. But with its own spin on things, of course.

Yeah, so as I was saying, the Greek Chorus was a fun little gimmick in this episode. And their inclusion makes sense, considering that this episode features King Neptune (well, makes sense until we realize we’re mixing up Roman and Greek myths, but everyone knows that Neptune is just a mix of both so it doesn’t matter). Anyway, while the Greek Chorus is a fun gimmick, I feel like this episode doesn’t use them to their fullest potential. And as such, they aren’t as funny as I would’ve hoped them to be. But they’re still enjoyable at least, so this doesn’t diminish my amusement too much.

Moving on, we get to the actual plot of this episode, which is a little switcharoo between SpongeBob and King Neptune. King Neptune gets SpongeBob’s trusty spatula, and SpongeBob gets the all-powerful trident. And of course, SpongeBob walks to the Krusty Krab none the wiser, ready to serve all the ravenous customers. Why the Krusty Krab even opened before SpongeBob got there, I don’t know. Probably to allow for the plot to happen LMAO. Anyway, SpongeBob contunues to be extremely oblivious during this scene at the Krusty Krab. I can’t say I was ever a fan of obliviousness, but I guess if it’s funny then I don’t mind. Unfortunately SpongeBob’s obliviousness isn’t really a source of comedy.

Eventually, SpongeBob at least realizes his “spatula” is magic, and decides to use it to help people, as is very in-character for SpongeBob to do. But of course, this completely backfires. I just wish the ways it backfired were funnier, because none of these bits are making me laugh very much. And I’m not sure why. I guess the jokes just aren’t landing for me personally. But at least they’re decently amusing I suppose.

The episode reaches its most entertaining when King Neptune finds SpongeBob and manages to get the Trident from him after a short action scene. Probably because 1) SpongeBob and King Neptune together is actually somewhat interesting, and 2) because of that little action scene haha. I also choose to think that when King Neptune was like “your spatula is just as powerful as my trident”, that was a reference to “Neptune’s Spatula”. I really think we need more King Neptune and SpongeBob interactions, if he’s gonna be a somewhat recurring character.

“Trident Trouble” just didn’t really do it for me. There’s nothing particularly wrong with it, but there’s nothing particularly right either. I just think there’s a lot of missed potential in this episode, and that disappoints me because it could’ve been a lot more interesting. I can see why people like this one, though. It just wasn’t the one for me.

Episode Tier: Okay
Episode Score:
6.8/10

Back