20th Anniversary in a Few Months

LARRY22

Giant Clam
Yep :) We're only getting closer to this show's 20th anniversary. May 1st, 2019 will be the day. What do you guys think will happen during this time? I feel like they will make a very special episode that's maybe 45 minutes long.

So yeah, what do you think Nickelodeon would do on that date, if they were to do something special for the series?

EmployeeAMillion

Season 12 Time!
We’ll get a very special episode (about the dangers of seaweed).

Seriously though, I think Nickelodeon’s going to have a whole series marathon in the middle of Summer. Remember, they consider July the premiere month for the show, as May ‘99’s airing was just a sneak peak. On one hand, all 241 episodes and maybe the two movies would be 5 days long, and no kid has that attention span. Even adults would have to seriously consider sitting though the whole thing, granted some love the whole show decline or not. However, it seems like the right way to celebrate the show’s long-running status, and to get a huge media buzz on the first day of the marathon as the Classic seasons play (remember, they’re 22 hours total, 23 hours and 20 minutes counting the Movie). It’ll be like the Every Simpsons Ever marathon, though hopefully without the old episodes being horribly cropped to 16:9.

As for an actual episode/special celebrating the 20th anniversary, my best bet would be a story about 2019 SpongeBob meeting 1999 SpongeBob in some way, but it’s hard to say. Given how the 10th anniversary went, they’ll either try to make a way better special, or just not try at all.

LARRY22

Giant Clam
I feel like they could maybe remaster previous seasons and put them on Blu-ray if they really want to go all-out with this 20th anniversary special, I mean hey, South Park remastered its older seasons, so SpongeBob can too :P All they would need to do is make sure the film elements for Season 1 are in good condition, and make sure the background painting scans for the other seasons are at least 1080p, and that they have the original assets, and they could re-render to 1440x1080, and the could do the same for Seasons 9 and onward at 1920x1080p without changing anything but the quality (I'm looking at you Simpsons :sbfunny:).
(Seasons 2 and 3 used Toonz, Seasons 4 and onwards used Toon Boom).

If they were to do that, that would truly be grandiose in the best way possible :)

LARRY22 said:
I feel like they could maybe remaster previous seasons and put them on Blu-ray if they really want to go all-out with this 20th anniversary special, I mean hey, South Park remastered its older seasons, so SpongeBob can too :P All they would need to do is make sure the film elements for Season 1 are in good condition, and make sure the background painting scans for the other seasons are at least 1080p, and that they have the original assets, and they could re-render to 1440x1080, and the could do the same for Seasons 9 and onward at 1920x1080p without changing anything but the quality (I'm looking at you Simpsons :sbfunny:).

If they were to do that, that would truly be grandiose in the best way possible :)
Now THIS is a good idea. Make it happen, Nick!

spongebranch

Banished
LARRY22 said:

Irony: They could just use the fresh non-USA transfers that don't have any composite sourcing or degraded colors (you know, the ones that have the Nickelodeon flag logo added to the intro for Seasons 1-6 and every Season 7 episode that doesn't have a Nickelodeon logo on the intro)

Lettuce Have Fun

Floating Shopping List
I think the cast and crew will go on live TV and personally sacrifice a person born on May 1st, 1999 in order to symbolize the death of life as we knew it when Spongebob first aired.
It will be lauded as a brave creative move and Nickelodeon will assume their position as inferiors to Spongebob, officially renaming the network simply "Spongebob" and giving all current writers, producers, artists, and actors robot bodies to implant their memories into so that once their human forms pass, they can continue creating new Spongebob, resulting in a shift in society where all people begin seeing Spongebob not as a TV program, but as an omnipresent source of life outside of our own humanity...until the collapse of humanity. And then, eventually aliens will come in contact with the remains of Earth, and all that will be left will be remnants of our last available technologies, all filled with various Spongebob media: Spongebob Bibles, Spongebob philosophy, Spongebob college courses, Spongebob family planning articles, Spongebob surgeries, etc.

Can't wait!

poowoo hiswoman said:
I think the cast and crew will go on live TV and personally sacrifice a person born on May 1st, 1999 in order to symbolize the death of life as we knew it when Spongebob first aired.
Why would they do that?

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Maybe a TV movie accompanied with a series long marathon? Sounds good to me as long as the TV movie isn't abysmal. Isn't the third movie also being branded as a thing for SpongeBob's 20th anniversary even though it's coming out a bit later, or was that just a rumor?

Back