206b. Code Yellow

Imagination

Bomb-Selling Pirate
The part where he cuts up Squidward into many pieces made me cringe. So did the nose scenes.

Chrdrenkmann

Floating Shopping List
This episode just aired in Germany. Usually, I don't write long posts on this forum, but because I feel like this episode's treatment is unjustified, I'll make an exception.

The visual humor was great: Squidward's different noses at the beginning and near the end,nSpongeBob's nose moving around Squidward, the new skeleton being pushed into the marathon runner... and that were only a few examples.

There wasn't much funny dialogue, but SpongeBob saying that krabby patties taste even better than keys was pretty hilarious.

The operation sequence was really well done. It was a good decision that it wasn't shown clearly, so they didn't go over the top.

The gross close-ups of Squidward's nose were alright, neither great nor awful.

Storywise, I don't understand why people say it's choppy/all over the place. SpongeBob became a doctor due to a misunderstanding, he helped other people and moved on to operate Squidward's nose. In my opinion, that's a very easy to follow plot.

Furthermore, I LOVED the fact that SpongeBob didn't just cause a big mess and actually helped people in this episode. I hope I'm not the only one who noticed that.

The only thing that I didn't like was the ending which felt too abrupt (which is weird, because the episode immediately started with Squidward thinking about getting a new nose).

This episode receives an A- from me. A few more funny lines would have pushed it to a solid A.

SquiddlyPie

random gal
Seriously I watched both ''Unreal Estate'' and ''Code Yellow'' yesterday because I couldn't resist (I wanted to wait until July 28 that they will premiere in Greece but I just couldn't resist) and this episode is probably my favorite so far..and when I saw the comments , I was like...Ohhhh, let the ''squid abuse'' drama start again...anyway...IMO this episode was HILARIOUS....The CatFish gag, SpongeBob saying ''Mmh, strawberry!'' after eating the candy red-stripes off his suit, all of these squid noses , Squilliam's cameo, SpongeBob saving all these patients with a ridiculous -yet hilarious- way...SpongeBob perfoming a surgery in front of a crowd , just hilarious...Also, when I was a kid I ALWAYS wanted to see a SpongeBob episode where the Bikini Bottom Hospital would have a major role as the place...it FINALLY happened...I freakin love this episode , hands down 10/10 <3 :D

Hazmart

Moby Dollar
This episode is very funny, it has a lot of jokes and visual gags, and a well done pace. I don't find the gross out scenes as a bad thing, they are just jokes, and there's not a "Squid Torture" because he's not shown suffering, that's just black humor, and the series always had gross and black humor, Spongebob is not a series like MLP. Besides this episode has some creative humor, like the sequence of the squidward's noses or spongebob doing tricks.

8.5/10

Squidy

Bomb-Selling Pirate
The fast food restaurant that only sick people eat
This is just just BAD I mean bad, bad, bad, bad. This episode is MEGA SCUMBOB. This episode has an adult joke which saves it from being a 2. It's a Squidward getting hurt episode. Now I just never want to watch SpongeBob again. 2.5/10. If it weren't funny it would be a 1.

I like this episode, but it's not too special. I think that the concept of this episode could work, and they made it pretty decently, but this episode could have been even better.

Ranking so far:
1. Unreal Estate (A+)
2. Mermaid Pants (A)
3. Code Yellow (B)
4. Whirlybrains (C)

FutureSponge

Imitation Krab
I'm not a fan of this episode. I thought that Spongebob imitating a doctor was annoying, and if there were any way I could think to describe this episode, it'd be the ending of Slide Whistle Stooges extended to be an entire full-length episode. It's infuriating and kinda dark (in an unfunny way) to see Spongebob terrorize and injure patients in the hospital, and of course Squidward is at the butt of all the jokes, and receives unfair torment for no reason. 4/10.

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
OLD OPINION NEW REVIEW BELOW!

Gigantic cool down after the evil clutches of the extremely abysmal Unreal Estate I actually really liked this one! Its funny the gags were nice ending wasnt good but still a great episode that is better than Unreal Estate

Final Rating: Perfect

Rankings
Burst Your Bubble
Feral Friends
Code Yellow
The Incredible Shrinking Sponge
Mermaid Pants
The Getaway
Trident Trouble
Mimic Madness
Plankton Gets the Boot
Plankton Retires
Sportz?
Out of the Picture
Krusty Katering
Patrick's Coupon
Snooze you Loose
House Worming
Unreal Estate
Life Insurance
Dont Wake Patrick
Lost and Found

Last edited:

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
Gigantic cool down after the evil clutches of the extremely abysmal Unreal Estate I actually really liked this one! Its funny the gags were nice ending wasnt good and might have been kinda disgusting but still a great episode that is better than Unreal Estate

Rating: Perfect

Rankings:
Code Yellow (Perfect)
Mermaid Pants (Amazing!)
Whirly Brains (Good)
Unreal Estate (Bad)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Finally, an episode that I remember premiering. Or, at least, I’m pretty sure I remember the promo for it? At this point in my life, I didn’t have Nickelodeon playing on the TV as much, because I was too busy, so it’s pretty miraculous that I can remember any promo for any episode that I’ll be reviewing from now on. Yeah…I had a very short-lived period of actually being sat down in front of my TV for episode premieres. Starting with season 10, I typically waited until I could get my hands on the DVDs to watch anything (hence why I’ve hardly seen anything of season 13), unless I managed to be around for once.

“Code Yellow” is one of those simply plotted episodes. Its main focus is on providing humor and shenanigans. And, as always, I’m perfectly fine with that. Squidward getting a nose job is the basis for the entire episode, and that’s very simple. It’s also not a plot I was expecting. And it reminds me of both “No Nose Knows” and “The Two Faces of Squidward”. So that’s fun. Though I do think the joke involving Squidward’s nose being ugly didn’t quite land for me. Probably because it’s been his character design for like 24 years LMAO.

Once Squidward gets to the hospital for his nose job, shenanigans ensue, starting with SpongeBob covering Squidward’s room with all sorts of balloons, flowers, and stuffed animals. The little guy is just so full of love, it’s adorable (and SquidBobbers, don’t start now or so help me God). And then more shenanigans ensue when SpongeBob goes to be a candy striper, and eats the stripes off of his uniform, making him look like a doctor. I love his little uniform with the head mirror in this episode, it looks adorable on him.

Seeing SpongeBob walking around acting like a little doctor is fun. This episode is kind of like the SpongeBob equivalent of what happened to Patrick in “The Executive Treatment”, considering he never meant to pretend to be a doctor, everyone just assumed that he was. Of course, this would not fly as a legal defense in the real world lol. Anyway, SpongeBob manages to be surprisingly (in-universe…out of universe, we all know that SpongeBob will turn out on top, and this is the most obvious writing decision) good at being a doctor. This part is not particularly funny, but it is enjoyable. This is something I’ve been saying a lot. Seems to be a trend carrying over from season 9. I’ll keep an eye on that. Anyway, I love how SpongeBob’s optimism aids him here. It’s a good…character moment. I can’t think of a better way to describe it. Things get a lot funnier once SpongeBob acts as the doctor for Mrs. Puff. More Mrs. Puff, her terror is hilarious, and her “help me” sets me off laughing immediately. Mary Jo Catlett is a treasure.

Finally, we get to the part that I thought would take up more of this episode, SpongeBob being the doctor for Squidward’s operation. Obviously, in the real world, the same doctors would not be the ones doing all of the procedures in this episode, as the medical field is too specialized for that. Why I just pointed that out, I have no idea, other than the fact that it is my god-given duty to go on tangents about anything I want in my reviews. Anyway, SpongeBob trying to be a plastic surgeon goes as well as you’d expect, as he basically becomes a stand-up comedian to the observers. And then we get a bunch of different noses on Squidward (including a Squilliam cameo which reminds me of how long we have gone without seeing him). In the end, Squidward stays with the nose he’s known all along…at the expense of his own body parts. And the only one who gets away unscathed is SpongeBob, as once he reveals that he’s just a fry cook, the other doctor’s just about lose it.

Okay I know I said that I would I stop talking about this (well, I didn’t say exactly that. also, this is my review, I do what I want), but I can’t get over how cute SpongeBob is looking in these episodes. Do you guys remember, way back, when I talked about how season 1 understood the assignment of SpongeBob looking and being cute, something that we wouldn’t fully return to until later? Well, it’s later now. In my season 1 overview, I specifically said we wouldn’t get this until season 10 or 11, and it looks like I was right, because the SpongeBob design in this season is the cutest I’ve seen him, outside of select appearances, since season 1, hands down. I think it really just cements the fact that season 10 might be my favorite art style of the show. Maybe. I’m still very partial to Marker-Bob, and the first 3 seasons in general (even if each of those seasons looks different).

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9.2/10

Back