206b. Code Yellow

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
I sense this will be a controversial episode, already there are so many strong opinions on how good or bad it was.

I'm mixed, I almost want to rewatch this one to see if I can get stronger positive or negative opinions on it. For now I'll just list what I liked and disliked.

Pros:
SpongeBob was likable and earnest throughout the episode.
While Squidward goes through some bad things, it's executed in an exaggerated manner, and it doesn't dwell on it.
Great animation and some fun visual gags.

Cons:
Story was sloppy with no clear direction.
SpongeBob driving Mrs. Puff's iron lung didn't do anything for me.
I wasn't a fan of the ending, yeah it's not the worst this show has done. But I can't think of anything Squidward did to deserve this.
While quick, those gross-out gags were too detailed for me to find them comical.

This is a 5/10 for me. Hopefully I can form a more clear opinion in the future.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
I can say that I liked Squidward's punchline at the end and the nurses' reaction. At least Squidward actually saw some positives in what SpongeBob did to him ;)

Jibbix

Balloon Traveler
More_Starco said:
Well to be more positive here's a fun picture of Vincent Waller and Marc Ceccarelli dressing up as doctors to celebrate the episode's premiere!

DBQs4UnU0AAH8O2.jpg
dam vincent is daddy af

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
I got a feeling this episode might not be well received to some people. Like Unreal Estate what I excepted is the usual stuff I seen nowadays in these SpongeBob/Squidward episodes and while it still had those elements, it managed to be more about that. Instead, they balanced the character focus kinda like the previous. This episode meets No Nose Knows but with Squidward doing a nose operation and I Had an Accident but with the butt surgery being involved for a little bit. Once again, both SpongeBob and Squidward feels like their own selves for most of the scenes. SpongeBob was a little annoying in a few scenes, but there were decent moments from him. Now there were a couple grossout that I didn't need to see, but it lasts briefly and doesn't take over the episode unlike certain season 6 episodes I will mention. Andrew Goodman is looking to be a good (pun intended) newer writer if he keep it up, although it wasn't his greatest script. 7.5/10

Loopers

Sportz?
it's so boring and confusing imo. still don't understand it after i rewatched it

C-

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
this is such a bad episode. Not because it had omg gross out omg. Just because it wasn't funny to me. I was bored the whole time and felt just drained. The jokes were so stupid. God I don't like this one.

RomNick

Balloon Traveler
mandythescientist17 said:
It's like Ben Gruber and Andrew Goodman traded souls.
Cause it's not. Each writer has its own style, even in not so good products.

Yeah, I was not a fan of this. It was still not bad for me. It at least had some energy that prevented me from disliking this so much. If a bad episode of SpongeBob doesn't frustrate me or gross me out so much, then it's just a borefest. This one was no borefest but I still didn't like it. The story was so all over the place. At first It goes with SpongeBob hurting Squidward, then it becomes SpongeBob being a doctor and do random wacky stuff, then Mrs. Puff gets shoehorned in because she clearly didn't suffer enough and it ends with multiple jokes of SpongeBob doing wacky stuff at the surgery room and making different noses for Squidward. It felt like everything happened in this episode came off as so random that story didn't matter. Gross-out humor here wasn't too much but they were still unfunny and disturbing gags. I feel like I'm being way negative but aside from all these, this episode was still not bad. It had bad-writing but there were still some stuff that I enjoyed. My favorite gag was definitely Squilliam nose but mostly this episode felt too wacky for my taste just like some other season 10 episode.

Grade: C

Growlie said:
How did SpongeBob make Squidward's Squilliam nose talk?
because it's a cartoon

But that answer's never good enough for me.
well weird stuff always happens in this show. Can you really explain why SpongeBob can ride a rock in Pizza Delivery? Yes, this veing a cartoon is a good answer because the show has always been unusual since the begining.

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
It was OKAY. I liked the fresher plot, but it got a little outta hand to be honest. Like the amputations, the other doctors watching. Ehh, that's pretty far out, even for spongebob. 6.5/10

More

VIP
mandythescientist17 said:
It's like Ben Gruber and Andrew Goodman traded souls.
What... no that's ridiculous. Besides the fact that animation's on huge collaboration with a bunch of ideas mixed together by the crew, "Unreal Estate" does show Ben Gruber's best traits in writing. His episodes are much more centric on new designs, locations and visual gags, an exaggeration on making the characters act selfish and impulsive so that the jokes are funnier and the comeuppance is more satisfying, and in having a fast-paced, self-aware style of meta-humor.

And Andy shows his work in "Code Yellow" by... I actually don't know what he's like, as the only other episode he wrote himself was "Burst Your Bubble", one I barely remember. I guess I'll have to see what his personality on the show's like in the future...

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
Okay, guys, you're HUUUUGGE deal over a few short gags. It isn't THAT gross. Anyway, I liked this one. Not as good as Unreal Estate, but still pretty good. There were some funny gags, (the My Leg gag, to name one), and the candy stripes were kinda silly. Not that bad though. It's not that big of a deal. 7.5/10

Back