206a. Unreal Estate

Growlie

Best Boy
He still went overkill by making SpongeBob have to literally change houses, which could affect things like closeness to the KK, something that was even mentioned as a joke.
Squidward worked hard on that painting though.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
A really solid and funny episode. Wouldn't call it my favorite Gruber episode, I'd give that title to "Plankton Gets the Boot" or "Trident Trouble," but this episode is probably the most solid episode he's written as far as the story goes.

The Appetizer

shapes and noises
Uncle Sherm said:
this one's definitely going to be polarizing
Personally, I really liked this one; yes, there is a lot of Squidward slapstick in the episode that I can see people not liking, but the theme song montage was hilarious, the setup went on just short enough for the actual house hunting to get the focus, and there were lots of new and creative designs and locations in this one. The visual gags were also top notch, but that isn't really a surprise to anyone.
Ben Gruber's episodes have really surprised me so far; aside from one complete dud, all of his episodes have captured the spirit of the show and have actually pulled some really clever jokes. Though Plankton Gets the Boot is still my favorite episode written by him, this one comes really close.
Also, the music editing was top-notch in this one; lots of iconic SpongeBob tracks in this one (Cha Cha Nova returns!), and very few of the cartoon stings were used here.
Some of the Jeremy Wakefield stings that haven't been used in a while also returned.

This episode was so hilarious. Had me in stitches from start to finish! Especially the theme songs. Those were gold! Might add more later after I give it a rewatch.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
YellowShadow said:
This or Krusty Katering?
I'd say Plankton Gets the Boot and Trident Trouble are better than Krusty Katering.

Btw my favorite Ben Gruber episode is Plankton Gets the Boot, this episode still didn't have as much dialogue humor imo.

Klu

Moby Dollar
This episode is very good. But it's just me, or dialogue, at least in the beginning, was kinda simple, primitive even. I get that season 10 has more visual humor, but Squidward's dialogue was jarring.

This episode was so great. I seriously can't believe Ben Gruber balanced the pace through, told an interesting story with enough use of silliness and used a classic Squidward/SpongeBob dynamic. I loved gags of SpongeBob searching for different food houses, cutaway of great times of SpongeBob with his pineapple house and the twist of Squidward's new house being a rocket, which also reminded me of Sandy's Rocket. I really enjoyed every single aspect of this episode. A well structured story with really good slapstick. Ben Gruber's best work by far and one of the best of season 10.

Grade: A

Growlie said:
Squidward worked hard on that painting though.
you mean the hardworking painting of Squidward stroking his ego? Oh yeah, definitely undeserved because egotistical people's lives don't deserve to be ruined.

Hose scene, that was a bit much but everything else Squidward has gotten was completely justified. Gary attacked Squidward because Squidward had to sneak into SpongeBob's house. Squidward taking a great house from SpongeBob was also a selfish move by him.

So yes, poor little Squidward deserved almost everything in this episode.

Growlie

Best Boy
Squidward's an artist who works of art never gets the appropriation it should, unlike Squilliam.

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
This episode was excellent. Sure, the dialogue at the very beginning was elementary, but the visual humor makes up for it greatly. Of course, we get more exaggerated faces and slapstick. I also like how some of the older music makes a comeback. You have my condolences, Ben Gruber.
9.5/10

pgh214

Thanks for the Facelift!
9/10. I really liked it. Kept it simple. Fairly fresh plot. Funny part with the pineapple coming to life, haha

Season 4-11

7 Years of Hospitality
THIS episode...... Oh man this episode. I can't believe how this episode turned out. This was VERY different. (If you haven't already got the opposite joke or whatever yet, I love this episode). This was so funny. One of my very favorites, up there with Krusty Towers and Squid On Strike. I was laughing the whole time. And that twist.... That twist.... Man, that twist was the hardest I have ever laughed at a SpongeBob episode, you know, when Squidward took off. The theme parodies, the barnacles at the beginning, this is just a great episode that I've already seen 4 times in 2 days. 19/10.

TheCrunchyPudding00

Part Computer or Something
The squidward and spongebob dynamic they have here is so close to the classic episodes. This realy reminded me of season one for some reason. Really loved it. Funny episode. Favorite joke would have to be at the start with spongebob ruthlessly murdering some barnicles. 9/10

McSponge

Frozen Cephalopod
This was actually a surprisingly great episode in my opinion. The last handful of Season 10 episodes that have aired weren't that great, and were generally weaker than Season 9B episodes (Plankton Retires, SpongeBob's Place, Life Insurance, etc.), but this episode was quite superior over them. I really think the comedy of this episode improved. Primarily the house montage, I think it was really creative to have new versions of the theme song be used as a way to show off the different houses SpongeBob looks at (Similar to the highlight of the Patchy Segments in Truth or Square), not to mention I really like how the plot kind of took a turn, and focused more on Squidward living in his new house. And it didn't really feel forced, either. It felt more natural, and really did fit Squidward's character. The concept of this episode was indeed pretty ridiculous, but I do think the execution of it was much better than the actual concept itself. The sneezing gags were a little repetitive, but the animation at least was well done in those sequences. The beginning did start pretty weak, but by the time Squidward & SpongeBob started house hunting, things really did get better in the episode. Might I add, I love the live action sequences in this episode. They're hilarious, and unexpected, and I really think it was a pleasant surprise to include such gags (That aren't really used much anymore) :hehe:

The episode was very entertaining. The designs of some of the houses in this episode are cool (Like the revamped version of Squidward's house, as well as the rocket Squidward moves into), there were a lot of really funny jokes in this episode, the plot wasn't as bad as it could've been, and ultimately, it's probably one of the best episodes of this season.

It's a Great Episode. I give it a 9.5/10

Back