The Pokemon Enthusiast
I am reviewing Season 10 now my opinions from 2022 are basically now outdated

I like WhirlyBrains its a funny and enjoyable episode

Rating: Good Episode

Rankings:
Whirly Brains (Good)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
Wow. It’s a new month, and I can’t believe we’re here at season 10! Double digit seasons from now on! Season 10 is very short, just 22 segments, and as such, I won’t be posting a review every day. But y’all already knew that, since I didn’t post one yesterday. This season is a season I hear very little about, so I’m curious to see what I’ll think of it once this is over.

Starting off season 10, we’ve got “Whirly Brains”, one of I believe two controversial episodes of this season (the other is “Sportz?”). So…what a way to open the season, huh? Last time I saw this episode, it was in the background while I was scrolling through Twitter. Needless to say, a rewatch was necessary.

This episode begins with SpongeBob and Patrick being incredibly bored. Wait a second…haven’t we been here before? Oh right, it’s because we just did this with “Snail Mail”. Well, not exactly this, but close enough. And this scene is also, again, like “Toy Store of Doom”, but you can see how the visuals of these newer seasons really elevate boring scenes like this, because at least the animation and expressions aren’t stiff like they were during the time that episode premiered. Additionally, this scene doesn’t go on for too long, as soon enough SpongeBob and Patrick are entranced by a commercial about turning their brains into drones. You know what, I gotta admire the creativity, because who comes up with this stuff? (Mr. Lawrence, that’s who).

This first scene also exhibits the first problem with this episode—SpongeBob and Patrick are too stupid. And this is mostly caused by an…unskilled lean into the child side of the child-adult line. Like they literally pulled apart the TV fighting like babies like they could get the toy from it. That’s too stupid for them. At least, it’s too stupid for SpongeBob. Patrick…yeah he’d probably do that. But I could do without the “Yours Mine and Mine” reminder…yikes.

SpongeBob and Patrick start using the whirly brains, and this goes about as well as you’d expect. Honestly, I’m shocked that this episode is anatomically correct enough to actually include the hindbrain and part of the spinal cord on the whirly brains. I mean, obviously the episode is taking artistic liberties in literally every other regard, but I’ll take this neuroscience win. Anyway, back to the shenanigans. SpongeBob and Patrick flying their brain drones around is entertaining enough, not much for me to say there. I’m reminded a lot of “Pranks A Lot” here. Not sure why exactly. I think it’s when SpongeBob and Patrick decide to spy on Squidward (in a funny bit) that ends with a similar gag to the famous scene in “Have You Seen This Snail”. Okay actually it’s not similar, but y’all know me, I make associations everywhere. I’m also reminded of “Pranks a Lot” by the fact that SpongeBob and Patrick literally pull pranks in Bikini Bottom. Which, by the way, don’t think I didn’t peep that Mr. Krabs and Mrs. Puff scene. I don’t know what compelled the writers to make their relationship a secret one, but I think the choice makes these little easter eggs we get of them so much cuter. Like them having a date in an alleyway is so adorable. Finally, after all these years, Mrs. Puff and Mr. Krabs lovers get a win! And they’ve been dating for 16 years (and we all know where that number came from), how sweet!

Eventually, SpongeBob and Patrick’s plan for entertainment backfires when an old loser bootlicker I mean, cop wannabe steals SpongeBob and Patrick’s brains when they fly into his yard. Patrick in this part is hilarious, by the way. Bill Fagerbakke just knows the assignment. The next part with SpongeBob and Patrick trying to find their brains is less entertaining, mostly because none of it made me laugh, but that’s okay. After a little bit of this, SpongeBob gets the idea to get Sandy involved with this, which is an idea I very much like, because as everyone knows, I love me some Sandy. And she’s great in this episode. I mean, she trespasses without batting an eye, which is already queen s***, and then she squares up with the old conspiracy theorist (I mean…did y’all see that background detail?).

One last note I wanna say for this episode, I love the animation and visuals here. Before I say anything though, I wanna say that I adore the expressiveness of the latest seasons of the show. This is not about to be a “funny face bad” type comment, and I don’t want those types of comments either. Okay, so what I’m saying is that the animation here is just really nice. It’s not super flashy like later episodes, but it’s super expressive anyway. And it’s just very smooth. I like it. Probably one of my favorite animation styles in the show, and I’m curious to see if season 10 will be like this the whole time. Because I can’t remember off the top of my head.

“Whirly Brains” was a perfectly fine episode, I really don’t understand why people don’t like it? It wasn’t the best, mostly because a lot of the jokes didn’t land for me, but I thought it was at least decent. It’s just a fun, silly episode. Really, it’s Good.

Episode Tier: Good
Episode Score:
7.5/10

SpongebobMaster

The Guy Who Reviews UHHHHH
This is the definition of a good but kind of flawed episode that could have been better this episode is weird, and you know how I feel about weird episodes with squidward in clarinetland being in my top 5 for season 7! and my highlight of InSPONGEiac being the weird trippy scene and me thinking that the best part about squidbob tentacle pants being how weird it is and this one is no exception really this episode is good it definitely has its flaws but its good its a good way to start season 10
  1. Whirly Brain (8/10)

Back