204b. The Whole Tooth

Invincibubble

Krabby Patty Perfectionist
This episode is amazing! After re-watching this episode multiple times, I have to say, this episode has loads of great gags and jokes that never get old! I love the references to "Suds" in this episode, with Patrick being afraid of going to the dentist (similar to Patrick's fear of doctor offices) and the "old magazines" at the dentist. I loved the scene of Patrick "on the run" from SpongeBob with the worms, the taffy at the fair at the beginning, the "colorful wooden beads on wires" that you always find at dentist offices, and the Tooth "Ferry". This episode is an amazing way to end of my favorite season of the series, and the season really ended on a high note with this episode. Overall, I would give this episode a 10/10, an amazing episode and definitely one of my top ten favorites!

Funny gags and good for little ones to watch, its kind of like those educational books where the kid goes to the dentist and he's scared blah blah blah and then everything turns out great and that's the end! Yeah, that was a pretty lazy representation, but you know what I mean. 10/10

Hazmart

Moby Dollar
Pretty good episode, it has a very well written story, funny gags, at some parts was emotional and all the characters were enjoyable.

Score: 9.0/10

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
This is now one of my favourite post-sequel episodes. It was very rewarding for Patrick to see that his tooth was going to a safe place, and there was some outstanding characterisation for both Sponge and Pat. The animation was perfect, it makes the baby tooth seem almost real. Interesting that we get to see a dentist's surgery for once in BB, not sure if that's happened before. The penultimate part before the ending was what really got me, though. Honestly, Squidward! To have Patrick actually genuinely crying because he thought for a moment that the Tooth Fairy wasn't real, yet he just teases him for it? Thank goodness Squidward got what he deserved from SpongeBob and Patrick. Really enjoyable, and although Squidward was mean this time you can't deny his "molar morons" pun, now, that was funny!

More

VIP
This was an episode that I wasn't able to see until months after making my Season-end list, and that's really unfortunate. I think this could've been a contender for Top 10 of the Season, it was yet another great episode!

While the general themes of going to the dentist even when you're scared, and the theme of letting go of childhood memories for a better future are both themes that have been done a number of times before on children's books and TV shows, SpongeBob's twist on it is one I imagine resonating with kids for multiple reasons. First, SpongeBob really stuck up for Patrick by finding the perfect balance between being caring and emphasizing with Patrick's attatchment to the baby tooth, and being firm enough to have him let it go. Second, personifying Patrick's baby tooth was really adorable, and was contrasted with how much pain his toothache is giving him. Lastly, the ending is one of the most hilarious highlights in the entire Season. (The Tooth Fairy is actually a "Ferry" for transporting teeth to Tooth Island, such an excellent pun that the episode went all-out with. Also Squidward had to eat a bucket of chum because he lost a bet xD)

The rest... it's standard, the scene where Patrick gets chased down by worms wasn't anything new, but the story's still constantly on the move with locations, memories and an overall storybook sweetness that I think younger kids will really enjoy--it keeps the magic of the Tooth Fairy alive while still keeping SpongeBob's style, I think children will really want to go to the dentist after watching this. None of it feels remotely malicious, Patrick's a lovable if dim-witted child that's justifiably scared, and SpongeBob's a reasonable, kind guide to help him grow as a character.

Also, the animators once again proved how awesome they are. Just look at this gallery showing how many diverse hand-painted backgrounds, fluid movements and colorful designs, the personification of the teeth, and the animation sequences just for the sake of adding visual humor were all excellent as usual. Bonus points for the Dentist radio making fun of the background music score. <3

Grade: "A-" (It'd be around the Top 15 for the Season as a whole)

I love all the gags that are featured in this episode. It's a very fun episode with a nice plot and some excellent comedy. I love the musical joke, for one. I think my favorite gag, however, is the ending gag with Squidward's teeth. I expected the chum part, but not the teeth part, which is what made it so funny in my opinion. 9/10

WhosTheRealPinheadPatrick?

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Welp. Nobody will expect this, but I think this episode is terrible. Absolutely TERRIBLE. I think this episode is worse than Squid Baby and SpongeBob, You're Fired!. Yeah, this episode makes me sick. I'd put it in the bottom 10 of the entire series! So, my reasons. The first half of the episode is way too zany and crazy. Patrick is extremely stupid; he tries to make everything else hurt, but his baby tooth. I get that this was meant to be a joke, but in my honest opinion, it didn't work! The only good thing is Squidward. He is quite funny in this episode. So, because of that, I give The Whole Tooth a 0.5/10.

Will I get flak? I don't know, but I hope not.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
How is Patrick stupider in this episode because he didn't want to pull his tooth that's just a usual thing children do.

Still have no idea how this can possibly worse than an episode where an adult Squidward gets brain trauma and poops himself and an episode with no original ideas.

It's his unpopular opinion. I don't get it either, but it's his opinion. I don't even hate (nor like) Squid Baby myself, honestly.

WhosTheRealPinheadPatrick?

Bomb-Selling Pirate
Honest Slug said:
How is Patrick stupider in this episode because he didn't want to pull his tooth that's just a usual thing children do.

Still have no idea how this can possibly worse than an episode where an adult Squidward gets brain trauma and poops himself and an episode with no original ideas.
Well, I do still really hate Squid Baby, but at least it had one smart thing in it, the ice ending.
Amphitrite said:
It's his unpopular opinion. I don't get it either, but it's his opinion. I don't even hate (nor like) Squid Baby myself, honestly.
Thanks for respecting my opinion, Amphitrite.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Amphitrite said:
I didn't mean to say his opinion is wrong. I just want an explanation for why one episode is worse than the other. Apologies if it came out another way.

And by extension I'm not forcing anyone to hate Squid Baby. I was just interested in hearing why he finds this ep worse.

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
Honest Slug said:
I didn't mean to say his opinion is wrong. I just want an explanation for why one episode is worse than the other. Apologies if it came out another way.

And by extension I'm not forcing anyone to hate Squid Baby. I was just interested in hearing why he finds this ep worse.
No harm done. Just giving a simple explanation is all.

TheCrunchyPudding00

Part Computer or Something
For people saying that patrick is acting uncharacteristically stupid in this episode, you have to understand the role patrick is ment to play here. This episode focuses on the childlike fear of the dentist. And in my oppinion patrick potrys it very well. It may be something thats hard to grasp if you yourself never had that fear as a child but for those who did this episode come of a very relatable as actually really funny as it pokes fun at this irrational fear that many of us have when we are younger.

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I really liked the part when the tooth fairy was actually the tooth ferry.

Captain Stupid

Moby Dollar
Currently, this is my favorite 9B episode. :clapping: This episode was indeed very good!
I cannot understand how PieGuyRulz is currently the only cartoon reviewer who has approved this episode! >_>

I like pretty much everything in this episode, except Squidward being a jerk to Patrick. Good thing he actually got punished for it! :sblaugh:
Never in my life could I predict that even Spongebob wanted to punish Squidward! And I LOVE it! :P :sbparty: I also love the crazy gags in this episode, and of course, the animation!

Too bad both Paul Tibbitt and Kyle McCulloch left the show after this episode. (No! Why did Paul leave Spongebob? :cry:) At least, they both left on a very good note!

9/10

MrTortellini00

lame funny
Why does he hate this episode for being wacky (When it isn't that wacky) but praises every season 10 episode when they're 50 times zannier and with terrible characterization and humor as well.
Those praises came from first impressions, they don't reflect on his final thoughts of the episodes. When he reviews the whole season again it probably won't be as positive.

Depressed Luigi

Dead Inspector
Why does he hate this episode for being wacky (When it isn't that wacky) but praises every season 10 episode when they're 50 times zannier and with terrible characterization and humor as well.
Because by the sounds of it, he's a terrible reviewer.

Back