202a. Food Con Castaways

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.

Plot: "The gang heads to a food convention, but things go awry when they become stranded in the woods."

Talk about this episode when it airs, it looks strange, but some parts look very funny too. :P

Image:
2d56wi.jpg

Cha

I love SBM
I had an idea just like this 5 years ago of them going to a business food convention, so this is trippy. It had some good on the road gags and stuff. And it was kinda funny to see both Krabs and Squidward annoyed together for a tad little bit. They had a lot of quick humor and well animated expressions as post-s9 has been doing lately. There was a nice unsuspecting ending with the nature patty. Could have had a little bit more depth of a story while they were in the kelp forest, but it's fine. At least they got a road trip out of it.

Take A Step, Inside Your Mind! I'm Stalking you.
The pacing was yet again an issue. Did they really need the trucker gag? Nah, that coulda been scrapped. Besides that I don't have really too many issues, but there wasn't too much of a positive in it either, as the nature patty only tasted good for Patrick then just won for the heck of it, and well, the whole thing was predictable, it was sorta like Runaway roadtrip, Pizza Delivery, and Club SpongeBob got combined into a weird mixture which I'm not sure on yet. For now I'll be generous and give it a 7/10 because there were a few good gags, and the animation and expressions were a good touch.

ExtraAbsorbent

Moby Dollar
That episode was very expressive, it's like someone put A SquarePants Family Vacation, Lost in Bikini Bottom and Pizza Delivery together! Way better than Lame and Fortune. The animation in this has VERY expressive facial features.

SpongeyKid

mynameisspongeykid
Really great episode, probably my favorite of the week thus far. I kind of got Pizza Delivery vibes here too. The atmosphere in the forest was very cool and the character expressions were really great. Overall, the concept/plot, jokes, and characters all made this episode really great.

Growlie

Best Boy
I caught this image while watching.
20160713_164646.jpg
I guess there's giant Squids and Octopi in SpongeBob's universe. Who knows when we'll get an episode featuring giants though.

BenPaz: Act Zero

My Waifu
I think this was one of the best episodes of the season. It did the road trip concept better than A SquarePants Family Vacation IMO. The humor worked really well. I liked the expressions during the car trip segment. I kind of wish we got more of Food Con but the episode worked the way it was. I give the episode a 9/10.

WayslideCool

You know what else is yellow? You are!
It was a good episode. Still think I liked Lame and Fortune more, but I'd put it above Sandy's Nutmare. This one might need a rewatch, but it was still funny, and came with many great expressions, like most of 9B.

SCORE: 8/10

Also, does anyone know the title card music? Is it a new track or something we've heard before?

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
By far my favorite of the week so far. Many of the jokes made me laugh and the characters were great in this one. I loved their schemes to get the Krabby Patty and the drawings were excellent. Very expressive, even more so than others, I loved the different environments in this episode as well. If I have any complaints it's that I wasn't in love with Patrick eating the Krabby patties and the nature patty winning the contest, otherwise this is a big winner. After two okay episodes this was exactly what the doctor ordered.

9/10

Amphitrite

LBW Zelda
It was a good episode. Still think I liked Lame and Fortune more, but I'd put it above Sandy's Nutmare. This one might need a rewatch, but it was still funny, and came with many great expressions, like most of 9B.

SCORE: 8/10

Also, does anyone know the title card music? Is it a new track or something we've heard before?

It's called "Vacation (a)" by Kapono Beamer and Mac Prindy. It was also used in Shell Shocked and Perfect Chemistry.

Honest Slug

Ink Lemonade hurts me.
Amphitrite said:
It's called "Vacation (a)" by Kapono Beamer. It was also used in Shell Shocked and Perfect Chemistry.
I have to say this is one of the best title cards in the season, in terms of design and music.

WayslideCool

Honest Slug said:
I have to say this is one of the best title cards in the season, in terms of design and music.
Yeah. I loved CopyBob's, but I think this may have beaten it.

CartoonJazzLover

Balloon Traveler
@Kelpy G I don't think it's played in a title card sequence before which is great because Nick Carr is being generous with music choice in the past few episodes.

This episode was good although not as good as Lame and Fortune but still really enjoyable. Well, after the few minutes, anyway. It kinda bothered me a little bit with typical SpongeBob and Patrick being annoying but get past that annoying scene especially with the truck gag and the episode improved from there. Although from the get-go there's already tons of expressive faces(even if Squidward's expression was a little overly detailed at one point, showing the veins) giving a lot of variety to the characters. To me, they reminds of how Robert ryan Cory would exaggerate the character designs in season 6 and Face Freeze (his work in seasons 4 and 5 were harmless imo, not too overly detailed) except that the freelance boarders (and Uncle Grandpa storyboard artists and writers) Ryan Kramer and Chris Allison did it better. Thankfully the veins were only use once so imagine if this was a season 6 episode.

There's some funny moments like Lori Alan's voice coming to life as a talking Krabby Patty, the guys going insane over who get to eat it, and several more. But the biggest praise is Kramer and Allison's drawings of course the improving animation. I'm not sure what to give it but for now it's between 8/10 and 8.5/10

Skylar SquarePants

Floating Shopping List
Cha said:
I had an idea just like this 5 years ago of them going to a business food convention, so this is trippy. It had some good on the road gags and stuff. And it was kinda funny to see both Krabs and Squidward annoyed together for a tad little bit. They had a lot of quick humor and well animated expressions as post-s9 has been doing lately. There was a nice unsuspecting ending with the nature patty. Could have had a little bit more depth of a story while they were in the kelp forest, but it's fine. At least they got a road trip out of it.
OMG when you said road trip I thought "they should of sang "when I'm on the road""

WayslideCool

Upon second viewing, I'm increasing my score to a 9/10, meaning this beats "Lame and Fortune." A few more jokes got to me this round, and overall I just found the story and humor a little above.

Back