202a. Food Con Castaways

CakeCup

Facing the BSOD
This episode was amazing. There were so many funny faces (EVERYBODY PIPE DOWN), the gags were on point, and the plot was really interesting. Yeah, a few of the jokes were stupid, but in a way that it makes that episode even better. 9.5/10 :)

mitchellthespongebobfan

Imitation Krab
The first time I watched this episode I was a bit unsure of what I thought about it. After watching it several more times, I can assure you that this is one of my favorite season 9 episodes. First off, I think the jokes were funny; this episode made me laugh, like a lot. Whether it was Patrick talking about how his parents got married at the World's Least Exciting Sweater. or Mr. Krabs creating a safe just so he could get the patty, this episode was filled with laughs. Additionally, I liked how it was an episode about the Krabby Patty that didn't take place in the Krusty Krab. It's definitely an overused location in the show so it was nice to see them get out of it. I also liked the Nature Patties and the twist at the end with the mayor eating the Nature Patty. So overall, I thought this episode was awesome and has very good replay value.

TheJasbre202

Jasbre
My favorite episode of season 9b (other than The Sewers of Bikini Bottom, Mutiny on the Krusty and What's Eating Patrick?) enjoy these kinds of plots (like Club SpongeBob) and I loved how they did this one, this one is a great summer themed episode, along with the rest of the July week of premieres (adding Bulletin Board, which was also in the promo yet, never aired until Oct 1, 2017, but I count it as the week. I rate this episode a 9.5 out of 10 because it went higher than my expectations, and from the announcement of the name, i knew this would be my favorite episodes.

CherrySponge

There can only be one 'Jellyfishing King!'
Fighting against 'The Pods' with my good friends '
This was quite a fun episode, but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. In fact, it's rare for episodes of ANY show to be a masterpiece!
So, to start the review, SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward & Mr. Krabs get stranded in what looks like the Kelp Forest (or that setting from A SquarePants Family Vacation) whilst trying to get to Food Con. It's one of those episodes where they have to expand the plot so that the important part comes at the very end, which I suppose is a little annoying, but I can live with it. I thought the storyboards were amazing and they weren't too over-exaggerated, either, and the faces Squidward and Mr. K made at the beginning (during the road trip) were hilarious!
The downside is, even though there were jokes, I didn't necessarily find them all funny. There were a couple of offensive ones with Squidward, which I didn't enjoy that much, but the best joke was by far the 'Nature Patty', and it was funny how the other three actually gave it a taste without re-thinking it!
I would call SpongeBob the best character in this episode, but no one here really stood out more than the other. However, I'm pleased that I'm finally catching up, having already seen Goodbye Krabby Patty? and now I'm waiting for the first segment from Season 10 - hopefully, I'll be impressed!
7.5/10

I wasn't too big on this episode. The plot has been done before on the show (and better) numerous times, and Patrick eating the last krabby patty really wasn't needed, and just made him look like a slight jerk. Beyond that, why did the characters need the trailer? They really didn't need to bring it. 5/10

I haven't seen this episode in a while, but from what I can remember, it has a few duds. Not much was memorable here, the plot is weak, and I didn't like some of the visuals here. Could have been a lot better. But it's not TOO bad.

Ranking so far:
1. CopyBob DittoPants (A+)
2. What's Eating Patrick? (A+)
3. Larry's Gym (A+)
4. License to Milkshake (A)
5. Tutor Sauce (A)
6. Evil Spatula (A)
7. It Came From Goo Lagoon (A)
8. Patrick! The Game (A)
9. Pull Up a Barrel (A)
10. Bulletin Board (A)
11. Eek, an Urchin! (A)
12. Sharks vs. Pods (A)
13. Lame and Fortune (B)
14. Bumper to Bumper (B)
15. Plankton's Pet (B)
16. Jailbreak! (B)
17. Lost in Bikini Bottom (B)
18. Patrick-Man! (B)
19. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (B)
20. Goodbye, Krabby Patty? (B)
21. Yeti Krabs (B)
22. Sold! (B)
23. Extreme Spots (B)
24. Mall Girl Pearl (B)
25. Squid Plus One (B)
26. Safe Deposit Krabs (B)
27. Gary's New Toy (B)
28. Company Picnic (B)
29. Don't Look Now (C)
30. Squirrel Record (C)
31. Sandy's Nutmare (C)
32. The Executive Treatment (C)
33. Two Thumbs Down (C)
34. The Fish Bowl (C)
35. Seance Shmeance (C)
36. SpongeBob LongPants (C)
37. Food Con Castaways (D)
38. Sanctuary! (D)
39. Squid Defense (D)
40. Kenny the Cat (D)
41. Married to Money (E)
42. Squid Baby (E)
43. Little Yellow Book (F)
44. SpongeBob You're Fired (F)

JoeyBoi

Moby Dollar
I didn't really like this one that much. The plot is interesting, but the bulk of the episode is not. Some of the scenes felt dragged out, like whenever they were driving in the trailer. (seriously, why did those scenes even need to be in this? they're boring and have nothing to do with the story) This episode in general just feels like a weird clone of Club Spongebob, an episode that's much less dragged out and boring.

Bad episode (4/10)

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Plankton's Pet (9)
4. Bulletin Board (8)
5. Sold! (8)
6. Goodbye, Krabby Patty? (8)
7. Squid Plus One (8)
8. Sharks vs. Pods (8)
9. Pull up a Barrel (8)
10. It Came From Goo Lagoon (8)
11. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
12. Tutor Sauce (7)
13. Eek, an Urchin! (7)
14. Lame and Fortune (7)
15. Larry's Gym (7)
16. Jailbreak (7)
17. Copybob Dittopants (7)
18. Sandy's Nutmare (7)
19. License to Milkshake (6)
20. Patrick! the Game (6)
21. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
22. Extreme Spots (6)
23. The Executive Treatment (6)
24. Safe Deposit Krabs (6)
25. Squid Defense (6)
26. Gary's New Toy (6)
27. Bumper to Bumper (6)
28. Squirrel Record (5)
29. Séance Schméance (5)
30. Two Thumbs Down (5)
31. Patrick-Man! (5)
32. Married to Money (5)
33. Evil Spatula (5)
34. Company Picnic (5)
35. Kenny the Cat (5)
36. Sanctuary! (5)
37. Spongebob Longpants (4)
38. Food Con Castaways (4)
39. The Fish Bowl (4)
40. Yeti Krabs (4)
41. Don't Look Now (4)
42. Squid Baby (3)
43. Little Yellow Book (2)
44. Spongebob, You're Fired! (2)

As for the standalone 9b rating:

1. What's Eating Patrick? (10)
2. The Sewers of Bikini Bottom (9)
3. Bulletin Board (8)
4. Sold! (8)
5. Goodbye, Krabby Patty? (8)
6. Squid Plus One (8)
7. Sharks vs. Pods (8)
8. Pull Up A Barrel (8)
9. Mall Girl Pearl (7)
10. Tutor Sauce (7)
11. Lame and Fortune (7)
12. Larry's Gym (7)
13. Copybob Dittopants (7)
14. Sandy's Nutmare (7)
15. Patrick! the Game (6)
16. Lost in Bikini Bottom (6)
17. The Executive Treatment (6)
18. Two Thumbs Down (5)
19. Married to Money (5)
20. Company Picnic (5)
21. Sanctuary! (5)
22. Spongebob Longpants (4)
23. Food Con Castaways (4)
24. The Fish Bowl (4)

SlipperytheTotodile

The Pokemon Enthusiast
It was alright could have been better but it was at least really action packed but spent most of its time making stupid jokes BUT it was at least better than its sister

Final Rating: 6/10 Okay episode

Rankings:
Pull Up A Barrel (PERFECT)
Pineapple Invasion (PERFECT)
Patrick! The Game (Amazing!)
The Fish Bowl (Awesome)
Married to Money (Superb)
Sold! (Awesome)
Company Picnic (Okay)
Food Con Castaways (Okay)
Sandys Nutmare (Terrible)
Mall Girl Pearl (Bad)
Snail Mail (Unwatchable)

Pugs4Thugs

#1 SpongeBob Reviewer
“Food Con Castaways” is another fun and enjoyable little episode. And I have very little to say about it, so forgive the short review. The first thing I love about this episode are the characters. This episode really nails the chemistry and dynamics between the core four, and it is excellent to behold. I love the dynamic of all of them being on a road trip together, it’s fun and cute. Mr. Krabs acting like a tired dad to everyone is once again a source of my quasi-father-son relationship crumbs. And of course, because these four are a disaster together, their trip goes off the rails very quickly as Mr. Krabs somehow drives off a cliff.

Another thing I like about this episode is the plot. Specifically, the existence of Food Con. That’s brilliant, and it makes the world of Bikini Bottom feel more…whimsical. Like, it makes it the kind of place I’d wanna be living in, even more than I usually feel, because I want to attend a Food Con. Anyway, the plot of the Krew (+ Patrick) getting stranded out in the middle of nowhere is fun too. Plenty of great backgrounds in this segment as well. Additionally, when the episode starts getting super dramatic about the last patty, well y’all know how I feel about drama. I adore it. And SpongeBob being the only one loyal to the sandwich is so very in-character. This reminds me of “Pizza Delivery”. And before it gets to that point, we get a pretty entertaining action sequence of the patty getting stolen by a flying snail creature. Or, speaking of episodes that this one reminds me of, this is really similar to “Pineapple Fever”. And then the reveal at the end that SpongeBob gave the judge a nature patty, while Patrick eats the real one, was well done, because that’s an expectation subversion right there.

Lastly, this episode is also just funny. There’s some great dialogue humor in the set-up portion of the episode, and as the minutes go on, there’s plenty of great visual gags and other types of jokes too. Like I loved the bit with the horns (which was wonderfully brought back at the very end). Or everyone’s attempts to get SpongeBob to relinquish control of the patty, those were pretty great too. Or when SpongeBob starts hallucinating the patty talking to him, lol.

Episode Tier: Amazing
Episode Score:
9/10

spongie33

Sad Squidward Expert
Staff
I think this was a good episode. 8.5/10. I don’t know why but this episode feels like it’s a Season 10 or Season 11 Episode.

Back